|Names beginning with
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
italic: demolished | *listed
|PALMER, Frank (1871-1959)
Born in Brighton, son of a builder's foreman, living at 33 West Hill Street (1881). Joiner and carpenter, living in Lambeth, London (1901). Building contractor and surveyor in Brighton by 1906. Lived at 15 Highcroft Villas (1906-26).
|• Royal Alexandra Hospital for Sick Children, Dyke Road (Staff dining room, extension to nurses home, 1925)|
|PARNACOTT, W S
||• Primitive Methodist Chapel, 49-50 High Street, Kemp Town (1886) [now Windsor Lodge]
• Queen's Park (Primitive) Methodist Church, Queen's Park Road (1891) [now commercial]
|PARR, A R
||• Baptist Church, North Road, Portslade (1892, demolished 1960)|
|Parsons & Son
Architectural practice at 163 North Street and 43a Dyke Road (1912).
|PATCHING, E B
Architect and surveyor at 40 Rose Hill Terrace (1890-99).
Son of J L Pearson, whose work on All Saints he completed.
|• All Saints Church, The Drive*|
|PEARSON, John Loughborough (1817-1897)
Architect. Born in Brusssels, Belgium and grew up in Durham. Pupil of Philip Hardwick. Designed many churches from 1843 in Gothic Revival style, noted for the use of vaulting, in particular Truro Cathedral. He is buried in Westmonster Abbey.
|• St Barnabas' Church, Byron Street/Sackville Road* (1882-83)
• All Saints Church, The Drive* (1889-91)
• All Saints Vicarage, Wilbury Road (1891)
Architects at 185 Church Road (1899).
|PETT, Harold Milburn (1883-1966)
Assistant to Clayton & Black. Own practice at 16 Worcester Villas (1912). Architect for the Dioscese of Chichester. Lived at 28 Stanford Road.
|• St Leonard's Church, New Church Road* (alterations, addition of spire, 1936)|
|PHILIPS, Henry (1799-1840)
Landscape gardener and writer on horticulture, born in Henfield, previously a teacher and banker, who worked extensively in Brighton during the Regency and Georgian era, frequently with Amon Henry Wilds. He lived at 26 Russell Square. The collapse of the massive domed Antheum conservatory (where Palmeira Square now stands) on the day before its official opening in 1822 caused such a shock that Philips went blind.
|• The Level, Ditchling Road (1822)
• The Antheum, Adelaide Crescent
• Marine Square and other Kemp Town enclosures (gardens)
|PHIPPS, C J (Charles John) (1835-1897)
Architect, specialising in theatres. He rebuilt the auditorium, stage-house and facade of the Theatre Royal.
|• Theatre Royal, New Road (reconstruction, 1866)|
|PINKERTON, Godfrey (1858-1937)
Architect with practice in London, FRIBA.
|POLLARD, Robert William
Assistant in architect's office (1871). Architect and surveyor at 108 Church Street (1890-97), 11 Prince Albert Street (1898-1901). Born in Brighton, son of a tallow chandler.
|PORDEN, William (c1755-1822)
||• Royal Stables (The Dome), Church Street*
• 55 Old Steine (Steine House)*
Surveyor in Upper Rock Gardens (1824).
|POWELL, J H
Designer, nephew of John Hardman, in whose firm he replaced A W N Pugin.
|• St Paul's Church, West Street (lectern)|
||• St Cuthbert's Presbyterian Church, Holland Road|
|PUGIN, Augustus Welby Northmore
||St Helen's Church, Hangleton Way (glass)|
|PUTTICK, William (1863-1931)
Architect at 56 East Street (1899-1912). Son of an accountant, grew up at 26 Buckingham Street. Lived at 41 Park Crescent (1891), 33 Park Crescent (1901), 4 Park Crescent (1911). Died at Canterbury.
|Puttick & Puttick
Architectural firm at 82 Queen's Road (Terminus Gates) (1890).
Page updated 14 March 2016