Architects

 

The people who built Brighton and Hove: S

     
Names beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
  Search the site
S   local work
italic: demolished | *listed
SANDERS, H W
Architect at 43 Preston Road (1899-1912).
  No work identified so far
SAUNDERS, Thomas
Architect, based in London.
  Chapel Royal, North Street (1793)
SCOTT, Edmund Evan (1828-1895)
Architect, member of a family of Brighton artists, grandson of Edmund Scott. Practice at 8 Pavilion Buildings (1854-1859). Partnerships with former pupils R S Hyde and F T Cawthorn. Lived at 23 Cannon Place (1851) and then 41 (later renumbered as 31) Russell Square with his aunts Maria Brookbankand Emily Scott, a portrait artist (1861-95). Executor of his aunt Emily's will, inheriting the house.
  St Nicholas' Church School, Lock's Hill, Portslade
St Andrew's Church, Church Road (1864)
St Bartholomew's Church, Ann Street (1872-1884)
> See also Scott & Cawthorn
> See also Scott & Hyde
George Gilbert ScottSCOTT, Sir George Gilbert (1828-1895)
Highly prolific architect (over 800 buildings, including St Pancras Station, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Albert Memorial), nicknamed 'Great' Scott. Born into an ecclesiastical family and inspired by Pugin to work in the English Gothic Revival style, He is buried in Westminster Abbey. Among his pupils were G F Bodley, Somers Clarke and his son John Oldrid Scott. His grandson, Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) designed the K2 red telephone kiosk, of which a number are protected by Grade II listing in Brighton and Hove.
  Brighton College, Eastern Road*
Brill's Baths, East Street
Church of the Annunciation of Our Lady, Washington Street*
St Margaret's Church, The Green, Rottingdean* (south aisle, restorations, 1856)
SCOTT, John Oldrid (1841-1913)
Son of Sir Gilbert Scott.

  St Philip's Church, New Church Road, Hove*
Scott & Cawthorn
Architects; partnership of E E Scott and F T Cawthorn at 46a Regency Square (1890), 170 North Street (1899).
  St Saviour's Church, 95 Ditchling Road (1895-1900)
Scott & Hyde
Architects; partnership of E E Scott and R S Hyde at 46a Regency Square (1878), 170 North Street (1899).
  St James's Church, St James's Street (1875 replacement; demolished 1951)
All Souls Church, Eastern Road (alteration)
Chapel Royal, North Street* (alteration)
Church of the Annunciation of Our Lady, Washington Street* (alteration)
St John's Church, Carlton Hill* (alteration)
SCUTT, Thomas Henry (1850-1926)
Builder's general foreman, living at 8 Caledonian Road (1881, as Henry Thomas Scutt). Architect and surveyor at 14 North Street (1899). Born in Storrington. Lived at The Beeches, 94 Stanford Avenue (1901). Prolific designer of houses: 695 planning approvals in Brighton. The principal developments are listed.
  12 houses, bakery, shop, Stanford Avenue (1897-1902)
52 houses, shops, Preston Drove (1898-1902)
14 houses, stables, Preston Park Avenue (1898, 1902-03)
97 houses, Osborne Road (1898-1902)
38 houses, Gordon Road (1898,1905)
56 houses, Bates Road (1898-99)
25 houses, one workshop, Havelock Road (1899-1903)
48 houses, Balfour Road (1899-1904)
67 houses, Herbert Road (1899-1904)
41 houses, Hythe Road (1899-1900)
7 houses, Loder Road (1899-1900)
2 houses, East Drive, Queen's Park (1900)
5 houses, Lowther Road (1901)
36 houses, Ashford Road (1902)
4 houses, York Grove (1902)
25 houses, Seville Street (1902-03)
8 houses in Coronation Street (1903)
13 houses, Hartington Road (1903)
13 houses, Ewhurst Road (1903,1907)
7 houses, Maldon Road (1904)
15 houses, laundry and stable, Hollingdean Terrace (1905)
22 houses, stores and workshop, Dyke Road Drive (1905-06)
14 houses, Dyke Road (1906)
30 houses, Stanmer Park Road (1907)
13 houses, Franklin Road (1923)
SEIFERT, Richard (1910-2001)
British-Swiss architect (real name Reuben, aka Robin), noted for tower blocks, especially in London, where his firm designed more buildings than Sir Christopher Wren. The Rival Lamps factory on the Hollingbury Industrial Estate was one of his practice's earliest works, before he became a committed proponent of the modern movement.
  Rival Lamps factory, Crowhurst Road, Hollingbury (1949)
See also Richard Seifert & Partners
Seifert, Richard, & Partners
Architctural practice founded by Richard Seifert.
  Sussex Heights and Metropole Exhibition Halls, St Margaret's Place (1966-68)
Chartwell Court, Russell Square
Bedford Hotel and Bedford Towers, King's Road
SIMPSON, Gilbert Murray (1869-1954)
Son of Thomas Simpson. Articled to his father and remained as assistant. ARIBA 1893 (proposers included Thomas Lainson and Lacy Ridge; FRIBA 1921. Own practice from 1890 at 16 Ship Street. Architect and surveyor to Brighton Education Committee for 47 years. Retired 1945.
 
SIMPSON, James Charnock (1790-1876)
Architect. Born in Bolton, Lancashire. Uncle of Thomas Simpson. At 13 Richmond Street1, in St George's Place (1837). In 1851-54 his practice was at 58½ West Street and his residence at 19 Clarence Square. He retired to Jersey, where he died.
1Le1839, Poll Book, 1834,1841
  Farman Street School
SIMPSON, Sir John William PRIBA (1858-1933)
Elder son of Thomas Simpson, articled to his father, then attended Royal Academy Schools. FRIBA 1900. President of the Royal Institute of British Architects 1919-1921. Partnership with Maxwell Ayrton from 1910 to 1928; designed Wembley Stadium. Knighted for his work on the Empire exhibition site at Wembley.
  Brighton War Memorial, Victoria Gardens
Roedean School, Roedean Way*
Union Congregational Church, Queen Square (1899, not built)
SIMPSON, Thomas (1825-1908)
Architect and surveyor. Born in Muswell Hill, London (not Scotland as sometimes stated). Articled to his uncle, James Simpson. Architect to the Brighton and Preston School Board and Hove School Boards. Practice at 17 Chatham Place (1858), 8 Prince Albert Street (1859), then 16 Ship Street for the rest of his career.
  Salem Strict Baptist Chapel, Bond Street (1861, demolished 1974)
Belgrave Street Congregational CHapel
Dials Congregational Church, Clifton Road (1870, demolished 1972)
Hanover Terrace Board Schools (1873, demolished 1999)
SKELTON, Helen Mary (1952-)
Letter carver and sculptor; daughter, apprentice and partner of John Skelton.
  Brighthelm, North Road (carving)
SKELTON, John Stephen MBE (1923-1999)
Letter carver and sculptor, nephew and apprentice of Eric Gill. His studio was at Streat from 1950.
  Brighthelm, North Road
SLATER, E T
Surveyor at 29 George Street,Brighton (1824).
  No work identified so far
Smith & Co
Firm of architects at 1 Castle Square and 47 Western Road, Hove (1899).
  No work identified so far
Basil SpenceSPENCE, Sir Basil (1907-1976
Architect, trained at Edinburgh College of Art, where he later lectured (even while still a student) and in 1928-29 in the office of Sir Edwin Lutyens. Noted for the Sea and Ships Pavilion at the Festival of Britain (1951), Coventry Cathedral (1956-1962).
  Campus design for University of Sussex, including Falmer House* (1960ff)
STEER, Walter, Jr (1876-1939)
Childhood home was at 27 (later at 43) Viaduct Road, son of a railway labourer (later carman). Walter worked as a post office messenger boy (c1891-1893). Articled to Robert W Pollard 1893-96, assistant to Pollard 1896-98; assistant to F W Cawthorn from 1898. Cawthorn proposed him for LRIBA 1911, when Steer lived at 11 Semley Road.
  No work identified so far
STREATFIELD, Granville Edward Stewart (1869-1947)
Architect.
  St Augustine's Church, Stanford Avenue (1896-1913)
SUTER, Richard George (1827-1894)
Architect and surveyor, trained in London under his father (also Richard Suter). Lived and practised at 3 Prince's Place (1858), with four clerks at 1 Lansdowne Terrace (1861). Emigrated to Brisbane, Queensland by 1865, where he established a (briefly) fashionable practice, designing schools, Jimbour House on Darling Downs (see Sir Ralph Darling) and St Mark's Anglican Church. He moved to Melbourne in 1876 and became a Catholic Apostolic priest.
  No work identified so far
     
Previous | Next

 

Page updated 26 June 2016