|Names beginning with|
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
|associated with [*plaque]|
|HALL, Sir Edward Marshall (1858-1927)
The barrister known as The Great Defender, was born and lived in Old Steine.
|• 30 Old Steine|
HALLETT, William JP (1794-1862) founded Kemp Town Brewery and built St John the Baptist RC Church in Bristol Road. He became High Constable of Brighton in 1834 and was the second mayor of Brighton in 1855; he died on 29 March 1862.
HALLETT, William Henry JP DL (1827-1892)
Brewer. Served as mayor from 1866 to 1868 and again in 1881. He was a member of the Royal Clarence masonic lodge from 1868 and later the Earl of Sussex lodge.
|• Manor House, Manor Road [William's residence]
• 142 Marine Parade [William's residence -1861]
• Black Rock Manor Farm [WH's residence (with brother) 1871]
• 141 Marine Parade [WH's residence 1881-91]
• Hallett Road
|HALLIWELL-PHILLIPS, James Orchard (1820-1899)
Antiquarian and Shakespearean scholar, bought 14 acres of land off Ditchling Road in 1877/78 to build a house but began by constructing a large wooden bungalow, which he called his 'rustic wigwam', to house his collection. He never built the planned house but lived in the bungalow until his death. His Nursery Rhymes of England (1842) contains the first printed version of the story of the three little pigs. 'Halliwell was merely accused, but never convited, of theft, but there was certainly a curious longstanding correspondence between a Halliwell visit to a library and books going missing.1' Several hundred of his books are kept in a special collection at Brighton Library.
|1Bill Brydon: Shakespeare, The Illustrated Edition. London: Harper Press, 2009: 223|
|HAMILTON, (Anthony Walter) Patrick (1904-1962)
Novelist and writer, son of a barrister, who spent part of his early years in Hove and set at least two novels in Brighton. A number of his works have been filmed: Gaslight in 1940 in England by Thorold Dickinson and again four years later in the US by George Cukor. His play Rope was filmed in 1948 by Alfred Hitchcock; a version was televised by the BBC in March 1939. He is only known to have written one screenplay, To the Public Danger (1948), a B feature.
|• 12 First Avenue* [residence]|
|HANNAH, Revd John (1818-1888)
Son of a Lincolnshire Wesleyan Methodist minister. After an academy career, he was appointed Vicar of Brighton in 1870 in succession to Revd H M Wagner and became rural dean of Brighton and Hove in 1871 with a prebendarl stall in Chichester Cathedral. The parish church moved from St Nicholas to St Peter's during his tenure in 1873, when his son because vicar at St Nicholas. In 1876, the year he became archdeacon of Lewes, he founded the Pelham Institute as a working men's club and mission. He retired in 1877. His son, John Julius Hannah, succeeded him as Vicar of Brighton.
|• Pelham Institute, Upper Bedford Street
• St Nicholas's Church, Church Street
• St Peter's Church, St Peter's Place
• The [Old] Vicarage, Montpelier Road [residence, now part of Brighton and Hove High School]
|HANNINGTON, Bishop James (1847-1885)
Missionary Bishop of Eastern Equatorial Africa and first of the martyrs of Uganda, for which he was made an Anglican saint. His feast day is 29 October, the anniversary of his murder on the orders of King Mwanga II. Hannington attended Temple School and worked in his father's warehouse business in Brighton from 1862 to 1868 and after ordination was curate of St George's, Hurstpierpoint until 1882.
|• Bishop Hannington Memorial Church, Holmes Avenue
• 171 North Street [former Hannington warehouse]
The tenants of Hangleton Farm, who lived at the Manor House from the late 17th century to 1914. In the 1780s, the Duke of Dorset licensed William Hardwick as gamekeeper on the Hangleton estate. They farmed c.1840 on land owned by Amherst and Baker in Hangleton.
|Old Manor House, Hangleton [residence]
• Hardwick Road<
|HARDY, Alderman Miss Margaret
The first woman mayor of Brighton in 1933-34 and long-standing member of the Education Committee.
|• York Place
• Margaret Hardy School, Ladies Mile Road
• 7 Friar Road
|HARTY, Sir Hamilton (1870-1941)
Composer and conductor of the Hallé Orchestra, lived in Brunswick Square and died there 19 February 1941.
|• 33 Brunswick Square|
|HAZELDEN, Mark (1846-1922)
Nurseryman, born in Isfield, Sussex, son of an agricultural labourer. Took over the nursery to the east of Dyke Road Avenue after the death in 1884 of its founder, Thomas Killick. His wife lived on until 1944.
|• Hazeldene Meads|
|HEAD, Graham (1909-1981)
||• 'The Croft', 8 Bigwood Avenue|
|HENNIKER-HEATON, Sir Herbert KCMG (1880-1961)
Former colonial secretary in Mauritius, the Gambia, Falkland Islands, Bermuda and Cyprus, Governor and commander-in-chief of the Falkland Islands 1934-1941.
|• 5 Adelaide Court, Adelaide Crescent|
|HERVEY, Frederick William.
See 1st Marquess/5th Earl of Bristol
|HESSEL, Phoebe (1713-1821)
Born in Stepney, she enlisted as a private in the Fifth Regiment of Foot and fought across Europe, including under the Duke of Cumberland atthe Battle of Fontenoy in 1745, when she was wounded. She settled in Brighton and travelled around by donkey the nearby villages selling fish. The Prince Regent gave her an allowance of half a guine (10s 6d) a week
|HILL, Sir Rowland
Lived in Hanover Crescent from 1844 to 1846. Then chairman of the London and Brighton Railway and postal reformer who had introduced the penny post with the world's first pre-paid adhesive postage stamps (the 'penny black') in 1840. In 1844 with John Stuart Mill, Edwin Chadwick and others he founded the Friends in Council discussion group which met in the members' houses. In 1846 he became secretary to the Postmaster General.
|• 11 Hanover Crescent|
|HILLIARD, Patricia (1916-2001)
Née Patricia Penn-Gaskell in Quetta, India, the daughter of the actress Ann Codrington, she took the surname of her stepfather, the actor Stafford Hilliard. She appeared in some of the key films of the 1930s, getting her break in The Private Life of Don Juan (1934), after studying at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and signing a two-year contract with Warner Bros. This was followed by parts in The Ghost Goes West (1935) and Things to Come (1936). She abandoned film after 1942 to concentrate on the stage but joined the BBC Drama Repertory Company in the 1950s and worked in radio until she retired in the 1960s. She was married to the actor William Fox (1911-2008).
|• 38 Grenville Place [residence]|
|HILTON, Daisy & Violet (1908-1969)
Conjoined twins, nées Skinner, raised as performers by Mary Hilton, the midwife who delivered and adopted them. In early childhood they lived with their adoptive parents at the Queen's Head pub in Steine Street, Brighton, then the Evening Star in Surrey Street. In 1931 they began to manage their own act and, by now living in the USA, made two films—Tod Browning's famous Freaks (1932) and Chained for Life (1951).
|• Queen's Head, Steine Street [residence]
• Evening Star, Surrey Street [residence]
|HINDMARSH, Sir John (1785-1860)
Fought at the battles of the Nile and Trafalgar and became the first governor of New South Wales.
|• 30 Albany Villas|
|HOBBS, Sir John Berry (Jack) (1882-1963)
Surrey and England cricketer and the first to be knighted (1953). He scored 61,760 runs and made 199 centuries. He later settled in Hove, where he nursed his wife, and died there soon after she did.
|• Flat 1, 13 Palmeira Avenue* [residence c1960-1963]
• Hove cemetery, Old Shoreham Road [grave]
|HOLMES, Alfred (1857-1904)
Using the stage name Captain Clives, Holmes was a versatile music hall artiste—singer, comedian, trick shot—best known for his act as 'the World's Only Dog Equilibrist', which was filmed by James Williamson in 1902 as Captain Clives and his Clever Dog Tiger. He and his actress/singer wife, Blanche Corri, had a home in Tidy Street in the early 1890s. He was active between 1880 and 1903, travelling extensively in the UK and abroad, including the United States.
|• 43 King Street [birthplace]
• 52 Tidy Street [residence]
• Ship Street Gardens [death]
|HOLMES, Roy Leslie (1901-1960)
Singer/songwriter, who performed solo as both Roy Leslie and Leslie Holmes but is best known for his long-lasting partnership with Leslie Sarony as The Two Leslies from 1934 to 1947. They reguarly topped the bill at Brighton Hippodrome. He died at his home in Brittany Road on 27 December 1960 of an overdose of pills after drinking; the coroner's verdict was death by misadventure.
|• 50 Brittany Road|
|HOLYOAKE, George Jacob (1817-1906)
Social reformer and co-operative pioneer, journalist and author. In 1842 he was the last person to be sentenced in England to imprisonment for atheism, although he described himself as an agnostic. He coined the words 'secularism' (1851) and 'jingoism' (1878). His nephew was Horatio Bottomley.
|• 36 Camelford Street [residence 1886-1907]|
|HOUNSOM, William Allin JP (1848-1934)
Landowner and developer, a leading Congregationalist.
|• Hounsom Memorial United Reformed Church, Nevill Avenue
• 41 New Church Road, Hove
|HOWELL, Charles (1783-1867)
A Brighton-born landed proprietor, whose address in poll books is given as 'Old Hove'. He endowed Howell's almshouses in George Street, built in 1858 for 'reduced inhabitants' and consisting of one room on each floor, a tiny kitchen and outside WC1. He left less than £4,000. His memorial plaque is in St Andrew's Church, Hove. His son, Charles Wellington Howell, was the company secretary of the Peninsular and Orient Steam Navigation Company.
|• Dial House, 3 Hove Terrace [residence]
James Gray [images]
|HOZIER, William Wallace, 1st Baron Newlands (1825-1906)
Scottish soldier and businessman. Created Baron Newlands of Newlands and Barrowfield in the county of the city of Glasgow and of Mauldslie Castle in the county of Lanark in 1898. At one time he owned Uplands, off Dyke Road Avenue, now Barrowfield Lodge in Barrowfield Drive. His niece was Clementine Hozier, who married Winston Churchill. His son died without issue and the title expired.
|• Barrowfield Lodge, Barrowfield Drive|
Page updated 22 February 2017