|Names beginning with|
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
|associated with [*plaque]|
Landowners. There were prominent Sackville families at Chiddingly and Seddlescombe in Elizabethan times.
Sir Thomas Sackville of Withyam, Sussex, was made Earl of Dorset by James I/VI in 1604.
Lionel Sackville (1688-1765), the 7th Earl, was elevated to become 1st Duke of Dorset in 1720. The family owned extensive lands throughout Sussex and were Lords of the Manor of Hove until 1967.
|• 40 Sussex Square [residence]
• Dorset Buildings
• Dorset Gardens
• Dorset Street
• New Dorset Street
• Dorset Court, Carlisle Road
• Hangleton Manor
• Dyke Road Drive
|SALOMONS, Philip (1796-1867)
Financier, built a private synagogue on the top floor of his house in Brunswick Terrace.
|• 26 Brunswick Terrace|
Sir Albert Sassoon
Sir Edward Sassoon (d 1912)
|• 1 Eastern Terrace [residence]
• Sassoon Mausoleum, Paston Place
Four generations of local artists. The family archive was left to Hove Museum in the will of Amy Scott.
Edmund Scott (1758-1815). Engraver and draughtsman, 19 of whose portraits are in the National Portrait Gallery. His portrait of George, Prince of Wales, as Grand Master of Freemasons (1800) is in the Brighton and Hove Museums and Art Galleries collection. Appointed portrait engraver to the Prince of Wales in 1811.
William Henry Stothard Scott (1782-1850). Son of Edmund. Lived at 2 Bond Street (1824), 45 Ship Street (1832), 23 Cannon Place (1840-50). Landscape painter. His view of Brighton (1817) is in the Paul Mellon Collection at the Yale Center for British Art. Died and interred in Brighton.
Emily Scott (1798-1883). Daughter of Edmund. Portrait painter. Born in Brighton, lived at 45 Ship Street (1832), 23 Cannon Place (1840-59), 41 Russell Square (later renumbered as 31) (1861-1883, where she died). Left £2,960 15s 11d.
Charles James Scott (1804-??). Son of Edmund, father of Edmund Evan. Drawing master at 35 West Street (1832).
John Henderson Scott (1828-1886). Landscape painter, watercolour artist. Lived at 23 Cannon Place (1828-51), 14 Clarence Square (1854), 59 Brunswick Road (1856-86, where he died). Left £1,939 17s 11d.
Edmund Evan Scott (1828-). See under Architects.
Mary Fores Scott (1853-19??). Daughter of John H Scott. Professor of drawing. Lived at 59 Brunswick Road (1856-81), 9 Montpelier Street (1901), 8 Pavilion Parade (1911).
Amy Scott (1860-1950). Daughter of John H Scott. Lived at 59 Brunswick Road (1860-81), 1 Sillwood Terrace (1890), 42 Temple Street (1901), 50 Buckingham Road (1911). 14 Preston Street, 36 Norton Road (-1950). Died at 10 Eaton Gardens, left £2,911 2s 3d. One of her oils is in the Brighton and Hove Museums and Art Galleries collection, as it her portrait by Harry Mileham [right].
Landowning Quaker family, particularly associated with Hangleton and Blatchington.Family members were persecuted for their faith and repeatedly imprisoned1. The family remained at West Blatchington until c1882, for the last 50 years as the family of a Scrase granddaughter, a Mrs Hodson.
Richard Scrase (d.1549) held the prior's estate at Blatchington in 1534. The lease of the manor was inherited by
Edward Scrase (d.1576), his son, and then by
Richard Scrase (d.1625), a minor, who had to recover the manor from the overseer of his father's will, on attaining his majority.
Tuppen Scrase (1583-1633), his son, graduate of Magdalen Hall, Oxford aged 15, lawyer; succeeded by
Henry Scrase (d.1641), his younger brother (despite Tuppen having sons), whose widow Joan remained in residence at West Blatchington with her sons, one of whom was
Walter Scrase, father of
Richard Scrase (1655-)
Elizabeth Scrase (1680-), Richard's daughter and heir to the manor of Hove Villa et Ecclesia, married Nathaniel Tredcroft in 1702.
|SEDGWICK, Amy (1835-1897)
Actress, born in Bristol, known for her comedic roles. Her first and second husbands, Dr William B Parkes and Charles Pemberton, died in 1863 and 1875 after respectively five years and two years, during which periods she retired fromt he stage and lived in Hove. After her third marriage to Charles Goostry in 1878, she retired permanently but continued to give occasional performances for charity and was listed as a professor of elocution. She died at Haywards Heath. A bust in her memory was unveiled at the Royal Pavilion by Sir Henry Irving in 1900.
|• 1 Western Place [residence 1880-93]|
|SHEE, Sir Martin Archer PRA, FRS (1769-1850)
Irish portrait painter, elected president of the Royal Academy in succession to Sir Thomas Lawrence in 1830 and knighted the same year. He was buried in the Western Extension of St Nicholas Churchyard, his headstone now being laid flat near the perimeter.
|• 2 Pavilion Colonnade [residence 1845-1850, deathplace]|
Local family. See Shirley family.
|SHERMAN, Ben (1925-1987)
In 1962, Alfred Sugarman, having changed his name to Ben Sherman, returned from the US to his birth town (where his mother, Bessie, had a confectionary shop) and opened a shirt factory here. The brand achieved international fame during the 1970s.
|• 21 Bedford Square|
Thomas Shirley of Preston Manor, married to Elizabeth Stapley.
Sir Anthony Shirley 1st baronet (1624-1683) was MP for Arundel (1654 with Anthony and John Stapley), for Sussex (1656 with John Stapley) and Steyning (1659).
|SHUTE, General Sir Charles Cameron KCB CB (1816-1904)
MP for Brighton from 1874 to 1880. He is buried in Brighton Extra-mural Cemetery1.
1Obituary, The Times, 1 May 1904
|• 12 Brunswick Place|
|SLIGHT, Lewis (1790-1869)
Born Alford, Lincolnshire. Clerk to the Brighton Commissioners, resigning in 1853 to be replaced by his son, Lewis Slight Jr (d.1863), who, after the town's incorporation in 1854became the borough accountant. He negotiated the purchase of the Pavilion against opposition, removing the names of dissenting commissioners before he signed the contract himself.
|• 34 West Street [residence and permises 1839]
• 42 Ship Street [residence and premises, 1842]
• St Alban's Villa, 15 Vine Place [residence 1851-52]
• 165 Victoria Road [residence]
• Upper Brunswick Place [residence at the time of his death]
|SMITH, Sir Charles Aubrey (1863-1948)
A first-class cricketer, who played for Sussex and captained England against South Africa in the only test match in which he played. He spent most of his acting career in Hollywood and was knighted for services to promoting Anglo-American relations during the Second World War.
|• 27 Selbourne Road
• 19 Albany Villas.
|SMITH, Major-General Sir Charles Holleld
Military commandant of Victoria, Australia until 1899.
|• 11 Albany Villas|
|SMITH, George Albert (1864-1959)
|• St Ann's Well Gardens, Somerhill Road*
• 18 Chanctonbury Road*
|SMITH, Horace (1779-1849)
Novelist, poet and stockbroker, a friend of P B Shelley, who coined the phrases 'old ocean's bauble' and 'queen of watering places' to describe Brighton, lived in Cavendish Place from 1840 until his death. His grandson was J H Round.
|• 12 Cavendish Place* [residence}
• 10 Hanover Crescent [residence]
|SMITH, Lieut-General James Webber (1779-1853)
An officer in the Napoleonic wars, including the Battle of Waterloo, and great-grandfather of the actor David Niven. He lived in Brunswick Square from 1848 until his death.
|• 11 Brunswick Square|
Several generations of the family were notable.
Henry Smithers (1694-1769), married Mary Heeves (1708-1785), died at Smithers, New South Wales but buried at St Peter's Church, Preston.
Bartholomew Smithers (1742-1791), eldest son of Henry, buried at St Peter's Church, Preston.
Bartholomew Smithers II (1770-1833), elder son of Bartholomew.(
William Heaves Smithers (1781-1852), younger son of Bartholomewborn in Preston, founder/publisher of The Brighton Patriot.
Henry Smithers, brewer, living in North Street (1841-42), member of the Royal Clarence masonic lodge (1850).
Bartholomew Smithers III (1811-1856)
|• 143 North Street [Brighton Patriot office]|
First chief constable of the Brighton police force. struck with a poker from the fireplace in his office at police headquarters in the Town Hall on 13 March 1844 by a prisoner, John Lawrence, and died the following day.
|• Brighton Town Hall (police station), Bartholomews|
William Stanford (1764-1841) was Lord of Preston Manor, High Sheriff in 1808 and a magistrate. There is a window at St Peter's Church, Preston to his memory and that of
William Stanford (1809-1853), his son.
[Lady] Ellen Stanford. Her ashes are interred at St Peter's Church, Preston, where there is a memorial plaque in the church.
Sir Charles Thomas Stanford ( -1932), his ashes are interred at St Peter's Church, Preston, where there is a memorial plaque in the church.
|• Stanford Avenue
• Norton Road
• Semley Road
Anthony Stapley (1590-1655) was born at Framfield but the family moved to Patcham c.1615. He was MP for New Shoreham in 1624 and 1625 and later for Lewes and the county of Sussex, which he represented in the Long Parliament of 1640. In January 1649 he was one of the signatories of Charles I's death warrant. He was again Sussex MP in the Barebones Parliament of 1653 and the First Protectorate Parliament in 1654. He is buried at Patcham.
Following his death his family acquired more land, including the 250-acre Wick Farm in 1573, which was sold on in 1701.
Sir John Stapley 1st baronet of Patcham (1628-1701), second but eldest surving son of Sir Anthony, was MP for Sussex (1654, 1656 with Anthony Shirley) and Deputy Lieutenant for Sussex (1656). In 1657 he became a Royalist and was involved with his younger brother Anthony in the Sealed Knot plot to return Charles II to the throne. Elected MP for Lewes (1660, 1661)
|• Wick Estate|
|STENBOCK, Count Eric (1859-1895)
A decadent Estonian writer and poet, who died in a fall while attempting to strike someone with a poker on the day Oscar Wilde's first trial began in London. Stepson of Sir Francis Mowatt. Stenbock is buried in Brighton's Catholic Cemetery, his heart having been taken in an urn to his family's home church at Kusal, Estonia.
|• Withdeane Hall, The Approach
Owned land in Aldrington.
|• Stoneham Road|
|STRINGER, Alderman Dorothy, OBE (-1977)
Daughter of an alderman father and a mother who was a member of the Board of Guardians. Elected an independent councillor in 1925, joined the Education Committee and never missed a meeting in 50 years. Later stood as a Conservative. Mayor of Brighton in 1952; made a Freeman of the Borough of Brighton in 1968.
|• 166 Dyke Road [residence]
• Dorothy Stringer School, Loder Road
• Stringer Way
|STROUDLEY, William (1833-1889)
Locomotive superintendent at the Brighton works of the London Brighton & South Coast Railway 1870-1889. As well as his railway work, he also designed a dust cart for Brighton Corporation1.
|• Fairlight/Bosvigo, Preston Road
• Stroudley Road
|STRUVE, Dr Frederick Adolph August (1781-1840)
German pharmacist and balneologist who had the idea of simulating spa waters chemically. He founded the Royal German Spa at the southern end of Brighton Park (later Queen's Park) in June 1825, using water from an artesian well, which operated until 1886, then becoming the Hopper Struve mineral water plant until 1960. Other Struve spas were established at Berlin, Kiev, Königsberg, Leipzig, Moscow, St Petersburg and Warsaw. His Brighton spa exported 300,000 pint bottles a year.
|• Queen's Park (Spa)|
|Princess Consort [Phra Chao] SUVADHANA of Siam (1906-1985)
Born Krueakaew Abhalwongse, a commoner of Khmer descent, she took the name Suvadhana in 1924 after becoming a minor consort of King Vajiravudh (Rama VI), whom she married later that year. Her great aunt was the wife of King Norodom I of Cambodia. In 1938 she went into exile in England, living first in Camberley, Surrey and moving to Brighton around 1948 and remaining until c1954.
|• 26 Lewes Crescent|
Page updated 17 April 2017