|Names beginning with|
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
|associated with [*plaque]|
|VALLANCE family (1)
Family of brewers, maltsters, coal merchants and ship-owners.
James Vallance (1766-1846)
Edmund Vallance , Continued in business as James Vallance & Sons after dissolution of partnership with John Vallance in 1823; in partnership with William Catt.
Charles Vallance (1801-1881) Brewer, in partnership with William snr/William jr/Charles/Henry Catt. Son of James Vallance. He died at Belgrave House, leaving £104,890 5s 5d. St Peter's CHurch, Preston, has a memorial window to Charles and his wife Hannah.
Benjamin Vallance (-1850), surgeon at 64 Grand Parade.Left under £18,000.
Charles Vallance (1837-1881), Charles's son (born in Bath), was also in the family business; living in 1871 at 4 Clarence Square, in 1881 at 33 Buckingham Place, where he died three months before his father. The Town Clerk, James Albert Freeman, was an executor of both wills.
|• 8 West Street [brewery, residence]
• Belgrave House, (235) Preston Road [residence 1881]
• 4 Clarence Square
• 33 Buckingham Place
|VALLANCE family (2)
Landowner/farmer, son of John Brooker. Baptised at Union Street Chapel. Built Brooker Hall (now Hove Museum).
The family claimed deescent from the Earls of Pembroke, that name (and that of Aymer de Valance, 2nd Earl of Pembroke) being given to streets in the area of Hove they developed.
John Vallance (1759-1833). Landowner/farmer. Built the Manor House (aka Hove House) off Hove Street, close to the current Vallance Gardens. Father of John Brooker Vallance.
John Brooker Vallance (1804-1851). Landowner/farmer, son of John Brooker. Baptised at Union Street Chapel. Built Brooker Hall (now Hove Museum).
|• Hove Manor House, Hove Street
• Brooker Hall, New Church Road
• Vallance Gardens, Vallance Road
|VARLEY, Henry (1835-1912)
Nonconformist preacher. A large memorial tablet on the Union Chapel commemorates his work there.
|Evangelical Mission (Union Chapel), Union Street|
Had a post mill in Clifton Hill.
|• Vine Place; Clifton Hill|
|VOKINS, W H Draper, co-founder in 1882 of the Leeson & Vokins department store, which traded under that name until 1937 and then became W H Vokins until 1983, then imply Vokins until final closure in 1997. .||• Beechwood, Withdean [residence 1913]|
|VOLK, George Herbert (Bert) (1881-?
Second son of Magnus Volk, who emigrated to Natal, South Africa in 1902, joining the Natal Mouned Rifles and serving in Zululand. Immediately after returning to Brighton in 1909 he visited Louis Bleriot's flight training school at Pau in France. He set up a motor works in 1910, where he also made parts for seaplanes that were assembled in the Volk's Railway carriage sheds on the beach opposite Paston Place, where another seaplane pioneer, John Cyril Porte, also worked for a time. The seaplane station was requisitioned by the government on the outbreak of war in 1914 but Volk had returned to South Africa the previous year.
|• 86 Gloucester Road [Volk's Motor Works workshop 1910-1912]
• Paston Place [Volk's Seaplane Station]
|VOLK, Magnus (1851-1937)
Brighton-born son of a German clockmaker. Electrical engineer.
|• 11 Union Street
• 17 Gloucester Place [residence c1884-1887]
• 15 Marine Square [residence 1913] • 38 (now 128) Dyke Road* [residence 1914-1935]
Page updated 26 February 2017