Streets beginning with
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
|I||Census districts lists||references|
|Iden Close, Whitehawk||George Iden (1847-1929) was an engineer with the London, Brighton & South Coast Railway (works manager) and founder of the Iden Car Company of Coventry1. He died in Brighton. Cul-de-sac with one detached house (HMO). Numbering confirmed 11 June 19802.||1Graces Guide
|Imperial Arcade||Built 1923-24, covered shopping street designed in moderne style by Clayton & Black. Fully occupied in first year.
Imperial Halls apartments.
|Ingham Drive, Coldean||Post-war development: 27 houses by 1954.||K1954|
|Ingram Crescent East, Hove||Named after Henry Manning Ingram (1824-1911), rector of St Leonard's Church, Aldrington when it was rebuilt (see New Church Road). Three-storey apartment blocks.||K1924|
|Ingram Crescent West, Hove||Named after Henry Manning Ingram (1824-1911), rector of St Leonard's Church, Aldrington when it was rebuilt (see New Church Road). Three-storey apartment blocks.||Ke1924|
|† Inner Circle, Hove||Former name for one side of Pembroke Crescent.||Ke1932–Ke1936 with cross-reference to Pembroke Crescent|
|Inverness Road||One of several streets with Scottish names built in the 1860s between Lewes Road and Upper Lewes Road. Queen Victoria's attachment to the Highlands made such names popular.||Pa1868|
|† Inverness Terrace||On Lewes Road. Shops||Pa1868|
|Inwood Crescent||Off Compton Road. Originally to be called St James's Crescent1. Plans to build 100 houses here and in adjacent Compton Road were submitted on 21 February 1901 by London Brighton & South Coast Railway Company2. Renumbered 30 October 19023, numbered 10 March 1954 and 6 September 19564.||To1903
1W Bacon: Plan of Brighton, c1885
|† Ireland's Pleasure Gardens||Also known as the Royal Gardens. Laid out and opened by James Ireland in 1823, with an aviary, a maze, a lake and a cricket ground. The land was sold in the 1840s for what became Park Crescent.||Sue Berry: 'Pleasure Gardens in Georgian and Regency Seaside Resorts: Brighton, 1750-1840' in Journal of Garden History, 1991, 220-229|
|Isabel Crescent, Hove||Named after Isabel Goldsmid, wife of Sir Isaac Goldsmid). Numbers 1-24 occupied by 1928; 25-26 present in K1930.||Pi1928|
|Isetta Square||In the New England Quarter. Isetta of Great Britain was a manufacturer of of bubble cars, of which 30,000 were made nearby in the former Brighton Railway Works.|
|Isfield Road, Hollingdean||Another Sussex village name. Numbered 5 October 19601||Ke1964
|Islingword Place||Renumbered 20 April 18811.||Pa1869
|Islingword Road (including North View)
¶ Valley Gardens conservation area (131-146 consecutive).
|Built on the Islingword Furlong field system, developing in the 1850s. Islingword is a place name unique to Brighton, although the derivation is obscure. Part renumbered at Ewart Street 5 October 18931.
21 is a former Baptist chapel.
27 is a former PH, the Waggoners' Rest.
28 is a former PH, the Derby Arms.
40 is a former PH, the Gardeners' Arms.
Corporation reservoir adjacent to 59.
88-89 is the site of the former Immanuel Church, built in 1889-90 to replace the Islingword Road Mission Hall, a Primitive Methodist chapel. It was destroyed by fire in the early hours of 8 May 2003.
96 The Constant Service PH. The beerhouse here since c1871, was renamed by landlord James Attrill (here since 1872) c1880 to commemorate the Constant Service Water Company, acquired by the corporation under the Brighton Corporation Waterworks Act 1872.
104 is a former PH, the Arundel Castle.
129 Horse and Groom PH. F1856
131 The London Unity PH.
132 is a former PH, the Islingword Tavern.
145 was the Lewes Road Dispensary for Women and Children, opening on 31 October 1899 before being replaced by a hospital in Round Hill Crescent in 1905.
|Islingword Street||Built 1870-1874.||Pa1872|
|Ivor Road, Woodingdean||Part of the Wick Estate. Numbered 29 April 19481.||K1947
|†Ivory Buildings||At 9 or 17 Sussex Street. Pedestrian, small houses.||1851,C1861|
|Ivory Place||including Ivory Court(s) tenements; 36 houses in 1822.||Ba1822|
|†Ivy Cottages, Hove||Between Hove Drove [Street] and St Aubyns.
Ivy Lodge. Detached villa. When derelict, used as a film location by James Williamson for Attack on a Chinese Mission—Blue Jackets to the Rescue (1900) and Fire! (1901). Demolished soon after.
• See also Hangleton Lane.
|Ivy Mews, Hove
¶ Brunswick Town conservation area.
|Ivy Place, Hove
¶ Brunswick Town conservation area.
|At 47 Waterloo Street.
Ivy Place Schools was founded in the 1840s and closed on 31 March 19271. It was sold to A E Aycliffe of 43 Waterloo Street, Hove on 1 September 1927.
Page updated 8 October 2016