Streets of Brighton & Hove

 

     
Guide to streets
Streets beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
  Search the site
     
O Census districts lists references
Oak Close, Withdean Part of the 'Golden Acres' estate built in the 1970s around Varndean Drive. It is one of three streets given the name of trees preserved from the original Victorian villas on the site.
Oakdene Avenue, Mile Oak Bungalows, built c1962/63. Ke1964—
Oakdene Close, Mile Oak Bungalows, built c1962/63. Ke1964—
Oakdene Crescent, Mile Oak Bungalows, built c1962/63.
      Compass Court on the north side of the road at the southern end of the crescent, comprises nine two-storey houses in two terraces.
Ke1964—
Oakdene Gardens, Mile Oak Bungalows, built c1962/63. Ke1964
Oakdene Way, Mile Oak Bungalows, built c1962/63. Ke1964—
Oaklands Avenue, Saltdean Mostly bungalows with steep slopes at either end. Numbered 2 September 19651. Crosses the city boundary. Ke1947
1ESRO DB/D/27/434
[Occupation Road] A term used for a road not adopted by a local authority and thus not repairable at public expense. Several such existed in the area, eg, as evidenced in the Minutes of Evidence Taken Before the Committee on the London and Brighton Railway Bills (House of Commons, 1837). Given as an identifying address in planning applications as recently as 19291. 1ESRO DB/D/7/8359A
Occupation Road, Woodingdean Ke1947–Ke1949
Old Boat Corner, Hollingbury The junction of Coldean Lane and Ditchling Road. An overturned boat (like Peggotty's in David Copperfield), used as a shepherd's hut, was here.
Old Boat Walk, Hollingbury The closest residential street to Old Boat Corner down Carden Avenue, albeit nearly half a mile away.
Old Court, Patcham [1881]
Old Court Close, Withdean Old Court House, in the south-west corner of adjacent Withdean Park, was the name given to the former Withdean Hall after a new Withdean Hall was built across London Road (see Peacock Lane). Cul-we-sac off Braybon Avenue. Numbered 8 July 19501. Ke1951—
1ESRO DB/D/27/289
Old Dyke Road       Jolly Huntsman. 1851.
      Tower Mill Cottages 1851.
Census1851
Old Farm Road, Withdean Tudorbethan semi-detached houses. Built by Braybons in the 1930s?. Ke1947—
Old Farm Yard Tudorbethan semi-detached houses. Built by Braybons in the 1930s?. Census1851
Old Forge Cottages, Patcham See Old London Road. Ke1951—
Old Hangleton Road, West Blatchington See Hangleton Road.
Old London Road, Patcham

¶ Patcham conservation area (43-57 odd, 94-136 even, 1-2 Wootton House Stables, 1-2 Southdown Mews).
So renamed when Patcham By-pass was built in 1926, having been part of the original London Road until then. The section north of Ladies Mile Road was formerly known as Spring Street. Numbered 2 February 19561.
      45, 45a and 47 are Grade II listed2.
      49 was formerly the stable of 51. It is Grade II listed3.
      51 Southdown House, an early Georgian residence which is Grade II* listed4. The garden wall is Grade II listed12, as is the lamp post opposite13.
      53, 55 and 57 are Grade II listed5.
      106 and 108, late 17th century timber-framed cottages, are Grade II listed6.
      110 and 112 was the Black Lion Hotel until extended and rebuilt as the Old Coach House in 1929. Old Patcham Mews behind the hotel is on the site of a former printing works. It is Grade II listed7.
      124, 126, a pair of 18th century (possibly earlier) cottages, are Grade II listed8.
      128-136, a row of cottages dating partly from the 16th and 17th centuries, are Grade II listed9.
      Wootton House dates from the late 18th century and is Grade II listed10.
      drinking fountain in grey and pink granite, dated 1897. Grade II listed11.
      Lamp post two metres west of no 57 is Grade II listed14.
Ke1947—
1ESRO DB/D/27/331
2HE 1380628
3HE 1380629
4HE 1380631
5HE 1380635
6HE 1380637
7HE 1380638
8HE 1380639
9HE 1380640
10HE 1380642
11HE 1380641
12HE 1380632
13HE 1380634
14HE 1380636
Old Mill Close, Patcham Off Ridgeside Avenue. Former Withdean (Roe/Ogle/Curwen) estate land. Cul-de-sac of inter-war detached houses around a central strip of trees and grass. Ke1947—
Old Mill Mews Off Highcroft Villas. Commemorates Trusler's Mill, which stood nearby. Private cul-de-sac.  
Old Parish Lane, Woodingdean Unadopted road. A footpath leads for more than a mile from the southern end to Ovingdean Road.
      Woodingdean Primary School (see Warren Road) has an entrance here.
Old Patcham Mews, Patcham

¶ Patcham conservation area.
Cul-de-sac of 18 modern terraced houses built c1989. Private road.
Old School Place, Hangleton Cul-de-sac.
Old Shoreham Road, Brighton (A270). The road to Old Shoreham (see next entry).Renumbered between Buxton Road and Stanford Road 17 December 19251.
      27a (entrance in York Grove) is marked 'Clara Rosetta Cottage 1862'.
      41-55 were known as Lancaster Villas.
      66-76, before numbering, were known respectively as Sorrento, Colonna, Messina, Melview, Oakleigh and Penlee.
      St Luke's Prestonville was designed by John Hill in red brick and opened in 1875 as the parish church of Prestonville. It was extended by J G Gibbins in 1882. The vicarage is adjacent and the church hall is in Exeter Street1ESRO DB/D/27/164
a>.
Fo1864—
Old Shoreham Road, Hove (A270). A;so known as Higher Shoreham Road when Kingsway was called Shoreham Road.
      BHASVIC see Dyke Road.
      Bun House Cottage. 1881.
      Corner House. 1881.
      Goldstone Retail Park is on the site of the home ground of Brighton and Hove Albion between 1902 and 1997.
      Hamilton Terrace, Lancaster Villas and Prestonville Terrace incorporated 30 August 19381.
      Hove Park opened to the public in 1891 on 20 acres of land bought for £1,000 the previous year.
      182 was St Joseph's Home for the Aged, run by the Little Sisters of the Poor (see St Joseph's Close. Now Homebase DIY store.
      222 was the birthplace of Margaret Powell (1907-1984), former maidservant (see 8 Adelaide Crescent), later writer and broadcaster. Plaque.
      274 is the site of the coach works of Thomas Harrington Ltd, now Currys PC World and The Martlets charity shop.
Pi1905—
1ESRO DB/D/27/47
Old Shoreham Road, West Blatchington Land for widening the road was sold to Hove Corporation by the Nevill family on 25 August 19221. 1ESRO ABE/18S
Old Steine

¶ Old Town conservation area (48a, 49).
¶ Valley Gardens conservation area (3-48 consec, 51-63 consec, Royal Albion Hotel, Royal York Buildings).
Originally The Steyne, an open space from at least the 17th century, which was enclosed in 1787; the name was changed to distinguish it from New Steine. The seasonal Wellesbourne river, which used to flood the area at times, runs in a culvert beneath the gardens. Once favoured by the medical profession: 14 doctors and dentists here in 1851. Part renumbered c1871. Construction of a subway was proposed in 19131.
      Royal Pavilion is one of the most visited tourist attractions in the country and is Grade I listed2. In the estate grounds are 19 cast-iron lampposts bearing the insignia of William IV; they are Grade II listed3.
      1-4 were called Blue and Buffs; nos 3 and 4 are Grade II listed4.
      6-12 were built in 1786 and with no 13 were formerly known as North Parade.
      6-7 were built in 1786 and are Grade II listed5.
      8 is Grade II listed31.
      9 Conveyanced ([lease and] release) for £100 16s 0d; [15 and] 16 Sep 1784 by Thomas Kemp of Lewes to George Wille of Lewes, carpenter, and his trustee Richard King of Lewes, tallow-chandler, as part of two two-paul pieces—one late Friend's and formerly Swann's, the other late Charles Scrase, occupied by Nathaniel Kemp, (Adjoining property: to the south: ground lately sold by T Kemp to Thomas Knapp; to the north: ground lately sold by T Kemp to John Leach and William Lee; to the west: piece of ground, part of the land late Friend's, reserved for a road 20 feet wide from the rails adjoining The Steine; the the east: piece of ground, part of the land late Charles Scrase, reserved for a footway four feet wide)6. It has a plaque commemorating the French statesman Charles Talleyrand. Grade II listed with no 107.
      11 is Grade II listed30.
      12 is Grade II listed34.
      17 was formerly numbered 188.
      19-34 were formerly known as South Parade.
      20-31 .
      20 was the Sussex Scientific Institution and Mantellian Museum in the 1830s, run on the basis of subscriptions to house the collection of Gideon Algernon Mantell. During the Second World War it became Clark's College. Brighton Corporation plaque. Grade II listed9
      21 is Grade II listed28.
      22 is Grade II listed29.
      23 is attributed to Amon Henry Wilds and Charles Busby, built c1825. Grade II listed35.
      24-25 are Grade II listed11.
      26 Half Crown House was remodelled by Amon Henry Wilds c1830 for the occupier, (later Sir) John G Gibney MD, physician to the Sussex General Infirmary. The origin of the current name is unknown but is typical of legal nomenclature; it may refer to a standard doctor's fee. Grade II listed38.
      27 has a plaque in a design by Eric Gill to geologist Gideon Algernon Mantell (1790-1852). Grade II listed12.
      28 is Grade II listed36.
      29 is Grade II listed32.
      30 is attributed to Wilds and Busby, built c1835. It was the birthplace on 16 September 1858 and home of Sir Edward Marshall Hall (1858-1927), right, the barrister known as The Great Defender. Brighton Corporation plaque. In the 1910s onwards it was the premises of solicitor Herbert Carden. Grade II listed33.
      31 is Grade II listed27.
      39 has a life-size model of a black cat climbing up the corner of the building at second-floor level, believed to have been placed there by the motor car agent (Geo Newman & Co) that formerly occupied the premises.
      41-43 Royal York Buildings is on the site of South Row. Built as a hotel in 1819 and enlarged in 1827 by absorbing houses on either side. A City of Brighton & Hove plaque marks the stay by the Duke and Duchess of Clarence (the future William IV and Queen Adelaide) in 1829. Benjamin Disraeli stayed here in 1840 and Charles Dickens gave readings from David Copperfield in 1861. The buildings were bought by Brighton Council in 1929 for use as offices; they and the bus depot are Grade II listed with the bus depot13.
      44-46 were built late 18th century.
      44 is Grade II listed14.
      45 (previously 47) was the residence and surgery of Dr R P B Taaffe.
      46 was the home/surgery of Sir John Cordy Burrows in 1851 (see also 62 below).
      47 is Grade II listed15.
      51 is Grade II listed10.
      52 was the home for over 30 years until his death here of Lieut-General Sir Arthur Benjamin Clifton. Grade II listed26.
      53 is Grade II listed16.
      54 Marlborough House was built by Robert Adam in 1765. In 1851 it was occupied by Capt Charles Sabine Augustus Thellusson (1822-1885), one of the two beneficiaries in the Thellusson Will case that was eventually settled by the House of Lords in 1859. Grade I listed25.
      55 Steine House was the home of Mrs Maria Fitzherbert (1756-1837), built for her in 1804 by William Porden on a commission from the Prince Regent, and where she died. She is buried in St John's Roman Catholic Church in Bristol Road. The house, since 1884 a YMCA hostel, was threatened with demolition in 1964. Brighton Corporation plaque erected in 1925. Grade II listed24.
      62 was bought by Brighton Borough Council from James Harold Penfold on 13 September 192924. The site was incorporated into what is now the Royal Bank of Scotland building.
      62 was the home of John Cordy Burrows (1813-1876), three-term mayor of Brighton (1857-59 and 1871-72). See also 46 above and, for his statue, see below.
      Brighton War Memorial was designed by John W Simpson and sculpted by C Kerridge Jr, with lettering carved by H Cashmore. It was unveiled by Earl Beatty on 7 October 1922 and bears the names of 2,597 men and three women of Brighton who died in military service during the Great War. It is Grade II listed17.
      Egyptian Campaign Memorial was erected in 1888 for the men killed in 1882 and during the Nile expedition of 1884-85. It is Grade II listed18.
      Old Steine Club House. 1851.
      Statue of Queen Victoria is Grade II listed37.
      Statue of John Cordy Burrows by Edward Bowring Stephens was unveiled in 1878, costing £700. It originally stood outside Carlisle House, one of the Royal Pavilion buildings, but was moved to the southern end of the gardens in 1984. Grade II listed19.
      Tram Shelter and former public toilets at the western edge of the gardens opposite Steine House, designed in March 1928 by borough engineer David Edwards. Grade II listed20. The shelter sections are now a café.
      three tram shelters from c1926 (probably designed by David Edwards, then borough engineer) between the junction with North Street and the Pavilion gardens, are Grade II listed21.
      Victoria Fountain, in the central gardens at south end of Old Steine, was designed by Amon Henry Wilds, sculpted by W Pepper and inaugurated 26 May 1846. Intended to mark the young queen's accession it was unveiled on her 27th birthday. Grade II listed22.
      †Pier was proposed c1816 as a curving wooden breakwater in the sea opposite Old Steine, surveyed by Robert Vazie of Kent23.
Ba1822—
1ESRO DB/D/46/823a
2HE 1380680
3HE 1381023
4HE 1380644, 1380645
5HE 1380646
6ESRO amsgg/AMS6625/1
7HE 1380650
8ESRO DB/D/27/214
9HE 1380653
10HE 1380666
11HE HE 1380657
12HE 1380659
13HE 1380677
14HE 1380664
15HE 1380665
16HE 1380669
17HE 1380675
18HE 1380676
19HE 1380679
20HE 1380683
21HE 1380714
22HE 1380682
23ESRO QDP/52/1, QDP/55
24HE 1380672
25HE 1380671
26HE 1380668
27HE 1380663
28HE 1380654
29HE 1380655
30HE 1380651
31HE 1380647
32HE 1380661
33HE 1380662
34HE 1380652
35HE 1380656
36HE 1380660
37HE 1380678
38HE 1380658
Old Steine Lane Same as next?
Old Steine Street Same as Steine Street? Same as above? Ba1822; Census1861-1881
Oldbury Row Cul-de-sac. Private road.
Olde Place Mews, Rottingdean

¶ Rottingdean conservation area.
Named from the former Olde Place Hotel at the High Street corner. Private road of terraced cottages.
Olive Road, Hove Pi1927—
Olivier Close Back development off Evelyn Terrace. Actor Laurence Olivier lived in Royal Crescent.
Onslow Road, Hove Sir Richard Onslow was the father-in-law of Sir Anthony Shirley, 1st bart (1624-1683) of Preston Manor. Pi1925—
Orange Row

¶ North Laine conservation area.
      16-17 are Grade II listed. [1826] Fo1850—
Orchard Avenue, Hove On the site of Clark's orchard. Built after 1930. Ke1932—
Orchard Gardens, Hove On the site of Clark's orchard. Built after 1930. Ke1932—
Orchard Road, Hove On the site of Clark's orchard. Built after 1930. Ke1932—
Orchard Walk Unadopted driveway to back development off Ditchling Road.
Orchid View, Stanmer Heights, Hollingbury Cul-de-sac, built on the site of an ancient field system1. Formerly called Rudgwick Road. Three-storey social housing apartments and a community centre (The Gathering Place). 1ESRO MES23816
Oriental Place

¶ Regency Square conservation area.
Built in 1827 and designed by Amon Henry Wilds as the approach to the Anthaeum Oriental Botanical Garden in a glasshouse, proposed by Henry Philips, that collapsed on completition when the scaffolding was removed. All houses (nos 1-18 and 19-35) are Grade II* listed1. In the 1840s mostly let as furnished houses. From the 1860s to 1915 all but two houses are listed as apartments or lodging/boarding houses2.
      1-18 are Grade II* listed1.
      1 was the Brighton home of Jacob Montefiore (1801-1895), a merchant who was active in the formation of the South Australia colony in the 1830s-1840s, in business with his brother Joseph Barrow Montefiore. His brother Horatio married Rebecca Mocatta, daughter of the architect David Mocatta. It later became the King's Hotel.
      27 was the home from 1827 to 1854 of solicitor Somers Clarke, Vestry Clerk of Brighton 1830-1892 and father of architect George Somers Clarke. His bust is in Brighton Town Hall.
      19-35 are Grade II* listed3.
Ke1845—
1HE 1380684
2Kelly 1915: 137
3HE 1380686
Oriental Terrace Nos 139-141 King's Road [qv], between Oriental Place and Cavendish Place. Now the Kings Hotel. Fo1848–Pa1895
Orpen Road, Hove Sixteen detached houses. Built from c1925. Pi1926—
Osborne Road Built from 1898, when Scutt applied to build 70 houses1, including one for Kemp, and two more the following year. Thereafter planning applications in 1900 (5), 1901 (14), 1902 (57), 1903 (48), 1904 (10), 1905 (16) and piecemeal for 49 more to 1914. Further building between 1924 and 1930 of 50 properties. Renumbered 1 October 19032. Pi1901—
1ESRO DB/D/7/4739,4828
2ESRO DB/D/27/107
Osborne Street, Hove The former name of the part of Osborne Villas north of the junction with Medina Place. The earliest residents were working class, often more than one household per address. Ta1854–To1903; Census1861
Osborne Villas, Hove

¶ Cliftonville conservation area.
One of four names from the Isle of Wight used in neighbouring streets, this being the estate purchased by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert in 1845. (See also Albany Villas, Medina Villas and Ventnor Villas.) In 1915 39 out of 53 addresses are listed as apartments or boarding houses. Ta1854—
Osmond Gardens, Hove Southward continuation of Osmond Road, named after Sir Osmond Elim D'Avigdor-Goldsmid. Pi1908—
Osmond Road, Hove Builkt after 1899, Northward continuation of Osmond Gardens, named after Sir Osmond Elim D'Avigdor-Goldsmid To1899—
Over Street

¶ North Laine conservation area.
Fo1850—; Census1851
Overdown Rise, Portslade Ke1966—
Overhill Drive, Patcham Numbered 11 July 19401 and 9 March 19482. Ke1936—
1ESRO DB/D/27/61
2ESRO DB/D/27/281
Overhill Gardens, Patcham Formerly the site of The Knole, London Road. Named 21 January 1965 and numbered 4 February 19651. Ke1968—
1ESRO DB/D/27/422
Overhill Way, Patcham Numbered 9 November 19491 and 1 September 1955, with supplementary numbering 5 February 19592 and 1 July 19653. Ke19478—
1ESRO DB/D/27/287
2ESRO DB/D/27/300
3ESRO DB/D/27/330
Ovingdean 'Valley of Ofa's people (family)' (OE Ofinga dene). One of the ancient manors and parishes in the area. Named in Domesday Book as Hovingdene. Formerly part of Newhaven Rural District, Ovingdean was incorporated into Brighton County Borough in 1928 under the Brighton Corporation Act 1927.
Ovingdean Close, Woodingdean Built in the 1950s on the site of Woodingdean House, which dated from the 18th century. Numbering 7 April 1960 with renumbering and supplementary numbering 26 January 19671 Ke1966—
ESRO DB/D/27/373
Ovingdean Road, Ovingdean

¶ Ovingdean conservation area (North Cottage, South Cottage, Grange Meadows, Willowrose, Upper Cottages 1-3, The Cot, Flints, The Nook, Orchard Court 1-4, Preambles, Ashdown House, Church Room, Village Hall, The Olde Barn, The Hames).
Formerly Upstreet and Woodingdean Road, renamed 9 November 1933 and 26 April 19341. Ke1947—
1ESRO DB/D/27/19
Oxford Close
Oxford Court Adjacent to Oxford Street. Back entrances and a car park. 1826]; Fo1848—; Census1851
Oxford Mews, Hove Unadopted road. Formerly the continuation of Eaton Grove.
Oxford Place Formerly Union Street North. Pa1873—
Oxford Street Number of properties in 1822: 34.
      11 (Oxford Street Chapel) was designed for non-denominational use by local architect Parker Anscombe and built in 1890. It has been the Church of Christ since c.1918.
Ba1822—
Oxford Terrace, Hove Former 24-30 Church Road Fo1856–Pa1882

Home
Streets beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Page updated 22 September 2021