Streets of Brighton & Hove

 

     
Guide to streets
Streets beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
  Search the site
     
V Census districts lists references
Vale, The, Ovingdean Partly private housing estate between Falmer Road and Ovingdean Road.
      Longhill High School.
K1947
Vale Avenue, Patcham

¶ Patcham conservation area (Patcham Court Farm Cottage, Patcham Court Farmhouse).
Part of the Ladies Mile Estate, named by developer George Ferguson possibly after the Vale of Leven in Dunbartonshire, Scotland. Named 27 April 19331. Supplementary numbering 4 June 19592.
      133 Patcham Court Farmhouse, built in the early 17th century but extended in 1971, its walls and dovecot (probably 17th century) are Grade II listed3.
      Court Farm Cottages were built in 1909.
K1934
1ESRO DB/D/27/30
2ESRO DB/D/27/370
2EH
Vale Gardens, Portslade Cul-de-sac of two blocks of three terraced houses each. K1966
Vale Road, Portslade To1896
Vale Road, Saltdean Numbered 1 September 19551. K1947
1ESRO DB/D/27/326
Valerie Close, Portslade Cul-de-sac of bungalows. K1947
Vallance Gardens, Hove

¶ Old Hove conservation area.
John Vallance built the Manor House (aka Hove House) in Hove Street and his son John Brooker Vallance was a landowner/farmer in Hove c.1840, who built Brooker Hall in New Church Road. Pi1909
Vallance Road, Hove

¶ Old Hove conservation area.
'In formation' in 1907. To1907
Vallensdean Cottages, Portslade Also as Vallens Dean. See Hangleton Lane  
Valley Close, Westdean Cul-de-sac of four pairs of semi-detached houses, built by Braybons c1932. K1934
Valley Drive, Westdean Lower end was previously called Reynolds Avenue. Renumbered 17 March 19421. Both sides west of Hillside Way were developed after WW2. Numbered 6 September 1948 and supplementary 2 October 19582.
      4, 6, 10, 12 were built by Lawrence Graham & Co in 1905 and designed by E Wallis Long. The plans refer to these as Allotment Road Reynolds Road.
      8 had a garden room added by Packham Sons & Palmer in 1923.
      14, 16, 18, 20 were built by T J Braybon in 1909 and added to by Braybon in 1923.
      17 (Pencroft) was built for W Travers in 1927. .
K1934
1ESRO DB/D/27/63
2ESRO DB/D/27/285
Valley Road, Woodingdean Renamed Downs Valley Road 30 July 19361. 1ESRO DB/D/27/37
Van Alen Mews Off Camelford Street, behind The Van Alen Building.
VARNDEAN Varndeane Fam
Was a farm in the Hollingbury area, part of the Withdean estate, and also the name of a large house to the south of what is now the northern section of Surrenden Road, on the site of which the boys' grammar school (now Varndean College) was built. The farm house, above, was designed by Clayton & Black in 18851.
1The Building News, 6 Novemeber 1885
Varndean Close, Withdean Cul-de-sac of six detached bungalows. Named 12 September 1963 and numbered 7 July 19661 K1968
1DB/D/27/402
Varndean Crescent, Withdean Renumbered 30 July 19361. 1ESRO DB/D/27/2
Varndean Drive, Withdean and its adjacent roads (Fircroft Close, Holly Close, Laine Close, Oak Close, Walnut Close) was built on a 10-acre site assembled by Brighton Corporation through the acquisition between 1956 and 1972 of three Victorian houses on London Road—Fir Croft, Effingham Lodge and Laine House—and the then undeveloped land between the houses and Fairlie Place on Surrenden Road. Sale of the land for just over $1m for an estate of 164 residences in a mixture of houses and low-rise apartment blocks, gave the Corporation a profit of nearly £900,000 that was used to part-finance building of the Brighton Centre. The site attracted the name 'Golden Acres'.
Varndean Holt, Withdean Holt is a Sussex dialect word meaning a small plantation or badger's burrow. Cul-de-sac of detached houses.  
Varndean Road, Withdean Developed from c1902-03 onwards.
      Mount Harry was the first and only house in 1896.
Pi1896
Ventnor Villas, Hove

¶ Cliftonville conservation area.
One of four streets with names from the Isle of Wight, newly favoured by Queen Victoria (see also Albany Villas, Medina Villas and Osborne Villas).
      3 was the home of property developer and retired brewer George Gallard (see George Street, Hove) in the 1870s and 1880s1.
      31 restrictive covenant dated March 1862 between Thomas Pearless and George Gallard2.
F1864
1Census RG10/1091 (1871) and RG11/1097 (1881)
2ESRO amsgg/AMS6621/3/17
Vere Road, Preston Built c1880. Vere Fane Benett (1840-1894; see Benett Road) was the first husband of Ellen Stanford, heiress of the estate based on Preston Manor in Preston Drove. They married in October 1867. Renumbered 15 September 18811. Proposed renumbering by Brook 15 November 18812.
      Clare Villa. 1881.
Pa1881
1ESRO DB/D/27/242
2ESRO DB/D/46/222
Vernon Avenue, Wick Estate, Woodingdean Numbered 29 April 1948 and 6 October 19551. K1949
1ESRO DB/D/27/283
Vernon Road Name for the section of Cromwell Road between Holland Road and Wilbury Villas while under development in the 1880s. Pa1881-Pa1887
Vernon Terrace

¶ Clifton Hill conservation area.
(B2120). Partly built 1848-1853. Originally designated part of Montpelier Road.
      1-6 were built c1860 and are Grade II listed.
      6 Eleanor Marx, daughter of Karl Marx, lodged here in c.1873 when supporting herself as a teacher at a school run by the Misses Hall in Sussex Square. Plaque.
      7-16 were built c1855 and are Grade II listed.
      37 was built c1850 and is Grade II listed.
Census1861, F1864
Veronica Way
Viaduct Road Close to the railway viaduct built in 1845-46 and formerly known as Montpelier Road East. The Prince of Wales' dairy was built on leased land on the north side in the 1790s.
      Calvary Evangelical Church opened in 1876 as a Primitive Methodist chapel, suitably next door to a brewery. When that congregation moved to a new church in London Road in 1895, this site became the Brighton Railway Mission, run by a Christian organisation founded in 1881 and ministering to workers in the railway industry. The church has had its present name since 1984. .
Pa1877
Viaduct Terrace Part of Montpelier Road East, out of the London Road. Small tenements. Census1851-1861, F1850
Vicarage Gardens, Rottingdean Pa1890
Vicarage Lane, Rottingdean

¶ Rottingdean conservation area.
Named 14 December 1933 and 22 March 19341. The K6 telephone kiosk is Grade II listed2.
      1 and St John's (?) are Grade II listed3.
      Blacksmith's Cottage is Grade II listed4.
Pa1890
1ESRO DB/D/27/22
2EH
3EH
4EH
Vicarage Terrace, Rottingdean

¶ Rottingdean conservation area.
      1-3 (3 is Three Ways Cottage) are Grade II listed.
      4 may date from before the 18th century and is Grade II listed.
      5-6 Rose Cottage, dating from the 18th century, is Grade II listed.
Pa1890
Victoria Cottages, Cliftonville

¶ Cliftonville conservation area.
At 8 Albert Terrace. 'Small tenements'. Census1851, Ta1854-K1973
Victoria Gardens Created as the North Steine Enclosures, which opened (to subscribers only) in 1818-1819. The northern section was opened to the public in 1883 and on 21 October 1896 all the gardens were transferred by the trustees to Brighton Borough Council. To mark the diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria, the gardens were dedicated to the public on 22 June 1897 by the mayor, Sir John Blaker.
      Obelisk and fountain, a granite drinking fountain and horse trough between Richmond Place and St George's Place, was designed by Richard Keirle and donated to the town in 1871 by Frederick Chatfield. It was originally flanked by four gas lamps. Grade II listed. Chatfield also donated a portrait of his mother to Brighton Museum in 1872.
      Statue of Queen Victoria was presented by the mayor, Sir John Blaker, at the opening of the gardens and unveiled by his daughter, Jessie Blaker. It was designed by Carlo Nicoli (1843-1915) of Carrara and made by the Sculptured Marble Company.
      Two plinths on either side of the gardens are all that remain of a group of five statues that represented Morning, Evening, Fidelity, Truth and Welcome, moved here in 1898 from the house of diamond millionaire Barney Barnato (1852-1897) in Park Lane, London (later the Playboy Club) and presented to the town by Sir Edward Sassoon (see Eastern Terrace).
Brighton War Memorial, Egyptian Campaign Memorial, Victoria Fountain and the statue of Sir John Cordy Burrows, see Old Steine.
Mazda Fountain, see Marlborough Place.
Victoria Grove, Hove

¶ The Avenues conservation area.
Formerly Victoria Mews, serving Second Avenue, built in 1875-1879 by J Ockenden. The first stables converted to use as a garage in 1914; Hove police force had its own petrol pump here1. Renamed 1936. The whole mews is Grade II listed2. K1937
1Middleton
2EH
Victoria Mews, Hove Former name of Victoria Grove. Formerly stables. Pa1881K1936
Victoria Mews, Rottingdean Private cul-de-sac off West Street, Rottingdean.  
Victoria Place

¶ Clifton Hill conservation area.
Built mid 1840s.
      1, built c1850, is Grade II listed1.
Census1851, F1852
1EH
Victoria Road

¶ Clifton Hill conservation area.
Built 1848-1853.
      1 is Grade II listed1.
      7 comprises a house and corner shop from the first half of the 19th century, the latter retaining its shopfront. Grade II listed2.
      13 (Sea View) was rented and later owned by Minnie Sara Turner (1867-1948), who ran it as a boarding house. Through her active involvement in the suffragist movement, the house was often inhabited or visited by suffragettes, including Mrs Pankhurst, Emily Davidson and Annie Kenney.3
      14-15, built as a pair c1830, are Grade II listed4.
      St Michael and All Angels was designed by George Frederick Bodley in 1858 and built in 1861-1862. A second larger building along the north side, making the earlier church the south aisle of the new building, was designed by William Burges in 1868 but not added until 1893-1895. The stained glass is by William Morris, Edward Burne-Jones (see High Street, Rottingdean), Ford Maddox Brown and Philip Webb. It is known as the 'cathedral of the back streets' and in the Anglo-Catholic tradition. The building is Grade I listed5.
F1850, Census1851
1EH
2EH
3cmpcaonline.org.uk/ page_id__85_path__0p36p21p55p.aspx 4EH
5EH
Victoria Road, Portslade
Victoria Street

¶ Clifton Hill conservation area.
Built 1837-41.
      12-14, 16-17, 19, 21-25 and 30 are Grade II listed1.
      28 was the home of playwright Alan Melville (1910-1983) from 1973 until his death.
Census1841, PO1846
1EH
Victoria Terrace, Brighton On Lewes Road. PO1845, Census1851
Victoria Terrace, Hove

¶ Cliftonville conservation area.
Cliftonville. See also Kingsway.
Albert Terrace and Alma Terrace were incorporated in the numbering of Victoria Terrace c1911.
      1-7 were designed by A H Wilds c1840 and named after the young queen but not completed; no 7 was a later addition post 1850.
      22 was the Dreadnought Garage, which was used by HMS Vernon (see Marine Drive) for torpedo instruction. It is now a pub.
F1856
Victory Mews, Brighton Marina  
The Village Barn, Patcham

¶ Patcham conservation area.
Development of Patchamcourt Farm barn as residences. Private cul-de-sac.  
Village Close, Portslade  
Village Square, Brighton Marina  
Village Way, Falmer
Villiers Close, Woodingdean Cul-de-sac of council flats built c1968-69. Named 3 March 19661 1ESRO DB/D/27/442
Vine Alley Census1861
Vine Place

¶ Clifton Hill conservation area.
Originally called Mill Place, these cottages for workers at Clifton Windmill (see Clifton Terrace) were built in 1810. The street was named c.1837 (?) after William Vine's post mill in Clifton Hill.
      1 was the premises of Edward Cutress, miller.
      18 is Grade II listed1.
      Linkfield Lodge. Census1851.
      Prospects Cottage. Census1851.
      St Alban's Villa. Census1851.
      Selby Villa. Census1851.
Census1841, Br1845
1EH
Vine Street

¶ North Laine conservation area.
Br1845, Census1861
Vine Street Court Cul-de-sac at 32 Vine Street.
      Vine Cottage. Census1851.
Vines Cross Road, Whitehawk Named after the Sussex village. Detached bungalows. Supplementary numbering 2 March 1966.1 1ESRO DB/D/27/393
Vogue Gyratory The section of Lewes Road (A270) between Melbourne Street/Upper Lewes Road and Hollingdean Road/Bear Road takes its name from the Vogue Cinema, the former Gaiety Cinema, so called between 1970 and 1979, when its programming was devoted to porn films and live strip shows.  

 

Home
Streets beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Page updated 4 February 2017