Streets beginning with
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
|U||Census districts lists||references|
|Uckfield Close, Whitehawk||One of a number of streets in the area named after Sussex towns and villages. Cul-de-sac|
|Undercliff Walk||Created as part of the sea defences that included the construction of Marine Drive, opened in 1932. It is a walled ledge under the cliffs that runs from Saltdean to the Marina. After extensive damage was repaired, it re-opened in 2006.|
|† Unicorn Yard||At 133 North Street or South end of Windsor Street. Suprisingly late appearance in street directories.|| Pa1887–Pi1910|
¶ Valley Gardens conservation area.
|North side of The Level. The gate piers to the garden of Park Crescent are Grade II listed1.||Fo1864
|† Union (?) Road Terrace|||
¶ Old Town conservation area.
|North-west entrance to The Lanes, appears to have been called Meeting House Lane at one time. The name is said to commemorate the Congregational Union of 1832 that united the Presbyterian, Unitarian and Independent churches but in fact was in use no later than 1822, when there were six properties in the street1, including the Union Chapel.
1-5, an early 19th century terrace rebuilt in the late 20th century, are Grade II listed2.
6 Bath Arms, which includes 4-5 Meeting House Lane, is Grade II listed3.
9-10 are Grade II listed3.
10 was the offices of Brighton Gazette, Hove Post & Surrey & Sussex Telegraph from c19054.
11 Magnus Volk had premises here as a watch and clock maker in the 1840s.
The Meeting House was built 1698 for a congregation formed in 1688 after the Act of Toleration. It was enlarged and repaired in 1810, being partly rebuilt in March-August 1825 to a design by Amon Henry Wilds (not his father as sometimes attributed) and Charles Busby, although believed to be primarily the work of the latter. Known as Dr Styles' Chapel during his incumbency from 1799 to 18241. John Nelson Goulty became the minister in 1824. The Union Congregation took over the church in 1878 and in 1898 merged it with the Queen Square Congregational Church as the Union Free Church. The Glynn Vivian Miners' Mission bought it in May 1905. The evangelical missionary Henry Varley (1835-1912) preached here from 1909 until his death. In 1927 it became the Elim Tabernacle of the Church of the Four Square Gospel until it closed in 1988 and was converted into a pub. The building and its railings are Grade II listed5.
Image: Drawing by Amon Henry Wilds, engraved by William Alexander
|∫ Union Street||Former name of Marine Gardens from 74 Marine Parade to 33 Upper St James's Street.||Fo1848–Pa1872|
|† Union Street East|
|∫ Union Street North||Former name of Oxford Place from 132 London Road to The Level.||, Br1845–Pa1872|
|University of Sussex||Designed by Basil Spence and built from 1960 onwards. Falmer House and its moat are Grade I listed1. The Attenborough Centre for Creative Arts (formerly Gardner Arts Centre) and the Meeting House (including in both cases the kerbstones around the pool or moat), the Library, Arts A & B buildings with the courtyard pool, the Engineering & Applied Sciences building with the adoining south staircase, and the Chichester and Pevensey buildings are all Grade II* listed1. The first men's hall of residence was designed by H Hubbard Ford in consultation with Spence3.||1EH
3University of Sussex Bulletin No 5, 14 February 1963:10
|Uplands Road, Hollingdean||Former part of The Crestway renumberd 5 September 19651. Numbered 5 October 1961; supplementary numbering 3 September 19741.||Ke1964
|Upper Abbey Road||Continuation of Abbey Road, north of Eastern Road.||Pi1926|
|Upper Bedford Street
¶ East Cliff conservation area (Fitzherbert Centre, Montague Court).
|Continuation of Bedford Street. Originally a maze of small streets of poor quality housing on both sides. The west side has mostly been replaced by grassed areas.
Pelham Institute (1877-1959) replaced Zion Chapel (1829), providing cheap recreation, accommodation (1s a night or 3s 6d a week) and refreshment for working people, including lectures and concerts. It was commissioned by Archdeacon Hannah from architect Thomas Lainson. (Now Mid Sussex Judo Club and warehousing.) The building is Grade II listed1.
†8 was St George's Tavern PH.
†10 was The Fountain Inn PH.
†18 was The Black Prince PH.
†23. Paradise Street was adjacent.
†25 was the Star of Bedford PH. Paradise Cottages was adjacent.
†33 was The Stag PH.
Stag House, a three-storey block of nine apartments, was built 2014.
†between 33 and 34 Bedford Buildings was off here.
†34 was The Pilot PH.
†between 36 and 38 Crescent Cottages was off here.
†38 was the Sawyers' Arms PH.
†39-40 was a Bible Christian Chapel in the 1860s-1870s.
†40 was Montague Arms PH.
†51 was the home of Chevalier François de Rosaz. He died here on 21 September 1877.
†Zion Chapel and Burial Ground was between 60 and 64 in the 1840s.
Fitzherbert Centre was formerly St John the Baptist Roman Catholic School, being adjacent to St John the Baptist Church (see Upper St James's Street), until it took over the former Warren Farm Industrial Schools in Warren Road in 1955; 'Girls & Infants' sign over the doorway.
|Upper Bevendean Avenue, Bevendean||Semi-detached houses.||K1934|
|∫ Upper Brunswick Place||Renumbered as Brunswick Place c.1877.
32 was the home of Admiral Sir George Granville Randolph KCB (1818-1917) (formerly 70 Brunswick Place).
63 was the home of General Sir Charles Cameron Shute KCB CB MP (1816-1904) (formerly 12 Brunswick Place).
|Upper Chalvington Place, Whitehawk||Cul-de-sac of mainly council flats.|
|Upper Church Street||4 had an ice house 1834-18441.||1R G Martin: 'Ice Houses and the Commercial Ice Trade in Brighton' in Sussex Industrial History no 14: 21|
|Upper Cottages, Ovingdean|
|Upper Drive, Hove||Cardinal Newman School is on the site of the Convent of the Sacred Heart, which was built by French nuns in 1870-72 on land belonging to the Stanford Estate that had been used as a market garden. An extension was added in 1901 to accommodate a second convent migrating from Beauvais.||Pi1896|
|† Upper Edward Street||Connects Edward Street with the Eastern Road.||Br1832–Fo1848|
|Upper Gardner Street
¶ North Laine conservation area.
|Originally developed in the 1820s. Street market held here each Saturday.
34 was the home of literary and theatrical agent Peggy Ramsey. Plaque.
40 is dated 1826. It became the Brighton National School's Central Infant School in 1887 and was later the Central Boys School, then later still the Ray Tindle Centre, an arts venue.
|∫ Upper Gloucester Lane||Former name of Upper Gloucester Road.|
|Upper Gloucester Road
¶ West Hill conservation area.
|Formerly known as Surrey Place until c.1872 and Upper Gloucester Lane. Numbering continues from Gloucester Road.|
|Upper Hamilton Road||Under construction 1883. Part renumbered 15 February 18941.
10 is a former corner shop, closed before 2012 and derelict in 2016.
|Upper Hollingdean Road||Formerly known as Dog Kennel Road.
Dudeney House is named after Councillor Walter Dudeney, who was mayor of Brighton in 1954-55. This 15-storey block and its twin,
Nettleton Court, named after Councillor Herbert Nettleton, mayor of Brighton in 1970-71, acquired a reputation for poor construction and heavy maintenance requirements, fuelling arguments that the tower block era of council housing building was a big mistake. Both are built on the site of
†Corporation 'dust destructor' (refuse incinerator) and its landmark chimney, opened in May 1886 and used until 1952, being demolished in 1962.
|Upper Lewes Road
¶ Round Hill conservation area (3, 26, 27).
|Formerly known as Gypsey Lane. Renumbered (Wakefield Terrace) 7 May 18791 and 16 August 19002. Three properties adjacent to Round Hill Crescent renumbered 20 April 18813.
†1 Sylvan Lodge was the home of Henry John Infield. The Sylvan Hall Estate (see Canterbury Drive) now stands on the site.
†3 was the Brighton Free Home for Orphan Destitute Boys (1890s).
100 The Martha Gunn pub is named after Martha Gunn, the most famous of the Brighton 'dippers'.
Alfred Terrace 1851.
Sylvan Lodge. 1851.
|Upper Market Street, Hove
¶ Brunswick Town conservation area.
|The Brunswick Town market was here (see below).
2-9 were built c1830 and are Grade II listed.1
11A The Old Market was built in 1828 as a market for Brunswick Town Town but did not succeed as such. By 1840 it was a riding academy, becoming Mr Dupont's Riding Academy in 1875 or 1877 (see Waterloo Street Arch) and a warehouse and finally falling into disuse. It was restored in 1999 as a community arts centre and is Grade II listed2.
|∫ Upper North Lane||Former name of North Road between Queen's Road and Kew Street/North Gardens.||1861|
|Upper North Street
¶ Clifton Hill conservation area (22-57 and 63-116 consecutive, Church and Presbytery of St Mary Magdalen and school buildings adjoining, 1-5 Hampton Terrace).
|Built mid 1840s. Renumbered from Dyke Road to the borough boundary (incorporating Montpelier Terrace and Montpelier Place) 27 August 19011. Extreme eastern end renamed as part of Dyke Road 17 December 19522.
Church of St Mary Magdalene was designed by Gilbert Blount and opened in 1862. The church and neighbouring school buildings (c1865) are Grade II listed3.
42-45 and 47-48 are Grade II listed4.
55 Clergy House to Church of St Mary Magdalene (presbytery) was built c1890 and is Grade II listed5.
60, then the pharmacy premises of William Funnell, was destroyed by fire on 9 September 1856.
64 and 77-89 are Grade II listed6.
Windmill Inn takes its name from William Vine's mill which stood on Clifton Hill. The K6 telephone kiosk outside is Grade II listed7.
|Upper Park Place, Queen's Park||Council flats and lock-up garages.||Br1845|
|Upper Rock Gardens
¶ East Cliff conservation area.
|The west side was built from 1820; 27 houses by 1822 (including one occupied by J Poune, surveyor). East side renumbered 20 April 18811.
†East Lodge, home of 3rd Earl of Egremont, was on the east side, with extensive gardens. It was occupied in 1855 by the Duke and Duchess of Richmond6 Replaced from 1879 by houses.
3, designed by Wilds and Busby and built c1825, is Grade II listed2.
15 is Grade II listed3.
17-18, 20 and 22, built c1815, are Grade II listed4.
23-26, built c1845, are Grade II listed5.
6Brighton Gazette, 28 June 1855: 4
|Upper Roedale Cottages, Hollingbury||Two cottages off Ditchling Road, adjacent to Hollingbury golf course.|
|∫ Upper Roedale Road||Former name of Hertford Road.|
|† Upper Russell Street||Built 1780s; 36 houses in 1822. It ran south from Western Road past Farm Yard. A continuation at right angles running west towards the north-east corner of Russell Square was built in 1810s. Lost in the Churchill Square development. Blucher Place and Waterloo Place ran off to the west.||Ba1822 image|
|Upper St James's Street
¶ East Cliff conservation area.
|Continuation of St James's Street, formerly called Crescent Street (c1822)4. Renumbered 4 June 18791. Public lavatories by Grafton Street were numbered 2 June 18922.
Hampshire Court is a large three- and four-storey council development of flats
73, 73A, 73B are Grade II listed3.
4Wetton & Jarvis map
|† Upper Shoreham Road, West Blatchington||See Old Shoreham Road.||Pa1891|
|Upper Sudeley Street
¶ East Cliff conservation area.
|Formerly known as Clevedon Place. No houses in 1881, first houses listed in 1883.||Pa1881|
|∫ Upper Trafalgar Street||Former name of Guildford Street until c1848, despite 1854 listing.||Ta1854|
|Upper Wellington Road||No thoroughfare. Under construction in 1880. Numbered 15 September 18801.||Pa1881
|Upper Winfield Avenue, Patcham||Cul-de-sac of semi-detached houses, built 1930s.||K1934|
|∫ Upstreet, Ovingdean||Renamed Ovingdean Road 9 November 19331.||1ESRO DB/D/27/19|
Page updated 6 April 2017