Streets of Brighton & Hove

 

     
Guide to streets
Streets beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
  Search the site
     
R Census districts lists references
Race Course Road In part former name of Elm Grove. north side. 1861
Race Hill       Sweet's Patch. 1851. 1851
Radinden Drive, Hove
Radinden Manor Road, Hove Raddingdean or Radynden was a manor dating from the early 13th century that included property in the area to the south of the modern Preston Park (see the entrance pillar to the park).
Railway Cottages, Patcham 1881 (2 lots).
Railway Cottages, Portslade 1881
Railway Street

¶ West Hill conservation area.
1851
Ranelagh Terrace 1861
Raphael Road, Hove One of several roads south of Portland Road named after painters, in this instance the Italian Renaissance master Raphael (1483-1520).
Reading Road, Black Rock Numbered 8 December 19321. 1ESRO DB/D/27/35
Red Cross Street 1851
Red Hill Open space to the west of Devil's Dyke Road.
Red House Farm and Cottages, Portslade 1881
Redhill Drive Redhill Farm was here. The road appears to follow the line of a trackway across Withdean Downs. Named 5 April 19381. Numbered 22 July 19481. 1ESRO DB/D/27/40
2ESRO DB/D/27/285
Redvers Road Part of a cluster of streets to the east of Lewes Road, opposite Preston Barracks, commemorating the second Boer War (1899-1902). General Sir Redvers Buller VC (1839-1908) has two streets named after him: this and parallel Buller Road, both built shortly before his death. Numbered April 19201. Renumbered 29 April 19522.
      59-71 (odd numbers) were sold by Reed & Sons Ltd to Cowstick in 1905/063.
1ESRO DB/D/46/874
2ESRO DB/D/27/297
3ESRO ACC5310/117
Regency Colonade   1851
Regency Cottages Original name for St Margaret's Place. 1851
Regency Mews

¶ Regency Square conservation area.
At 66 Preston Street.
      10-11, built c1835, are Grade II listed1.
1EH
Regency Road Created during the building of the Churchill Square complex c.1966.
      Wagner Hall is on the site of a Tabernacle Strict Baptist chapel built in 1834 that was accessed from its own alleyway off West Street.
Regency Square

¶ Regency Square conservation area.
Built on open land used for fairs until 1807 and originally called Belle Vue Field—to south-west of which was Belle Vue House—and West Mill (Streeter's Mill) stood at south-west corner. The intention was to call the new development Waterloo Square (after the battle) and it is marked thus in the Wetton & Jarvis map of 1822. But by the time building started in 1818 it was towards the end of the Regency of George, Prince of Wales. After fencing off the central part to form a garden, Joshua Flesher Hanson, owner of the land, let 70 surrounding plots to builders, with options to buy. Number of properties in 1822: 45. Numbered 30 October 18901.
      1 St Albans House was Regency House, the last house to be completed in the main square, designed by Amon Henry Wilds with interior construction in 1829 by builder William Izard. Renamed St Albans House in 1839 when taken by the Duke and Duchess of St Albans, she being the former actress Harriet Mellon, the second wife, widow and sole beneficiary of banker Thomas Coutts and thus the richest woman in England, if not Europe. The house had extensive stables and a large riding school behind the Bedford Hotel, demolished after Second World War for the building of Bedford Hotel's garage. Brighton Corporation plaque commemorates Harriet Mellon. Grade II* listed2, also identified as 131 King's Road.
      2 was the home in 1828-1830 of mathematician and physician Dr William King (1786-1865), who founded a co-operative store in Brighton and launched The Co-operator paper. He lived elsewhere in Brighton from 1821 until his death. A Co-operative Society plaque.
      3 and 4 are Grade II* listed3.
      5-20, attributed to Amon Wilds and Amon Henry Wilds and built c1818, are Grade II* listed4.
      22-25 are Grade II listed5.
      26-46, attributed to Amon Wilds and Amon Henry Wilds and built c1818, are Grade II listed6, including the carriage arch between nos 42 and 43 and the railings.
      27 was the Brighton residence late in life of Theophilus Fairfax Johnson JP (1790-1853) of Holland House, Spalding, who was High Sheriff of Lincolnshire in 1847 and a large landowner in that county.
      46a and 46b are Grade II listed7.
      47-49 are Grade II listed8.
      51-56 are Grade II* listed9.
      57, attributed to Amon Wilds and Amon Henry Wilds and built c1818, was the home of Somers Clarke (1848-1892) (see 27 Oriental Place). It is Grade II* listed10.
      58-59, attributed to Amon Wilds and Amon Henry Wilds and built c1818, are Grade II* listed11.
      60-66 are Grade II* listed12.
      65-66 associated with Sir Edwin Landseer (1802-1873), artist and sculptor of the lions in Trafalgar Square. Plaque.
      Regency Square car park opened under the square—it was originally going to be on the surface—in spring 1969. The construction site can be seen in the background at the start of the final sequence in the film The Big Switch, directed by Brighton-born Pete Walker.
      Royal Sussex Regiment War Memorial commemorates the 152 men who died in the Boer War (1900-1902). Designed by John W Simpson with a figure of a bugler sculpted by Charles L Hartwell (1873-1951) and built by monumental masons B & W Bennett. It was unveiled by the Marquess of Abergavenny (see Patcham) on 29 October 1904.
Ba1822
1ESRO DB/D/27/221
2EH
3EH
4EH
5EH
6EH
7EH
8EH
9EH
10EH
11EH
12EH
Regent Arcade

¶ Old Town conservation area.
Built 1963, extended 1990s (?).
Regent Court 1851
Regent Hill

¶ Clifton Hill conservation area.
Built 1820s. Number of properties in 1822: 9.
      18-20 are Grade II listed1.
Ba1822
1EH
Regent Place After Prince Regent obvs. Number of properties in 1822: 23.
      10 was the home of botanist Henry Philips from 1827.
Ba1822
Regent Row Built 1820s. Now a stub of a street to the west of Dyke Road just north of the Clock Tower that used to run through to Regent Hill1.Known as part of North Street until renamed and renumbered 17 December 19522. 1826
1Bacon????
2ESRO DB/D/27/309
Regent Street

¶ North Laine conservation area.
Number of properties in 1822: 42. Ba1822
Reigate Road Numbered 25 July 19291. 1ESRO DB/D/27/70
Reservoir Road Former name of Downland Road. Warren Reservoir (covered) is near the corner with Warren Road.
Retreat, The, Hove       Railway Carriage Hut. 1881. 1881
Reynolds Avenue, Withdean Former name of the lower part of Valley Drive from the junction with Tongdean Lane. The first houses were originally known as Allotment Cottages. Reynolds was the bailiff employed by Lady Ogle, who lived at Withdean Court and owned the land. Renamed 26 January 19331. 1ESRO DB/D/27/34
Reynolds Road, Hove One of several roads south of Portland Road named after painters, in this instance the English portraitist Sir Joshua Reynolds ((1723-1792).
Richardson Road, Hove Possibly named after the author Samuel Richardson (1689-1761).
Richmond Buildings Former street between Richmond Street and Albion Hill, Number of properties in 1822: 36. Condemned for demolition in 1958. Ba1822
Richmond Gardens

¶ Valley Gardens conservation area.
Built in 1826.
Richmond Hill Here lived a lass more bright than any May-day morn. Number of properties in 1822: 19. Ba1822
Richmond Mews Number of properties in 1822: 23 Ba1822
Richmond Parade Charles Lennox, 3rd Duke of Richmond and Lennox (1735-1806). Totally altered at its west end of Richmond Street after the latter was cut off by the Albion Hill development c1960.
      † Ebenezer Baptist Chapel was built between Ashton Street and Cambridge Street and opened on 13 April 1825, with the addition of the Ebenezer Chapel Schools extension in 1851. It was demolished in 1966 to make way for access to the tower blocks in Ashton Place and Grove Hill. Another chapel was built c.1967, designed by C J Wood, to replace the previous chapel of that name but this in turn was demolished.
      Ebenezer Reformed Baptist Church was built as a chapel and residential accommodation to replace the 1967 building.
Richmond Place

¶ Valley Gardens conservation area.
1851
Richmond Road Former name for Mighell Street.
Richmond Road

¶ Round Hill conservation area.
Renumbered 20 April 18811.
      Wall postbox outside 7 bears the VR royal cipher.
      Lewes Road Station was at the corner with D'Aubigny Road.
Ba1822
1ESRO DB/D/27/205
Richmond Row Ba1822
Richmond Square 1851
Richmond Street Originally ran down to Grand Parade (see Richmond Parade). A wall between Claremont Place and Dinapore Terrace next to the Live and Let Live pub was built across the road to stop runaway vehicles on the 1:5 incline. Part was known as Bolton Terrace. Renumbered 2 April 18961.
      34A is a remnant of Chates Farm, a dairy operation that began in 1858 and continued until as recently as 1934.
Ba1822
1ESRO DB/D/27/88
Richmond Terrace

¶ Valley Gardens conservation area.
Built speculatively by A and H Wilds in 1818. The steps between here and Roundhill Crescent are known as the Cats' Creep. Renumbered 17 January 18951.
      1-3, formerly known as Lennox Place and dating from c1825, are attributed to Amon Wilds and Charles Busby. They are Grade II listed2.
      4-7 are Grade II listed3.
      8-10 Brighton Technical College was built in 1895 in terracotta brick, extended in 1909 and altered in 1927 and 1935. With its attached walls, gates and railings it is Grade II listed4.
      11-14, designed by Amon Wilds and built 1818, are Grade II listed5.
      15-18 are Grade II listed6.
Ba1822
1ESRO DB/D/27/208
2EH:
3EH:
4EH:
5EH:
6EH:
Ridgeside Avenue, Withdean       75 was the home of Stanley Deason.
Ridgeway, The, Woodingdean Numbered 16 June 19481. 1ESRO DB/D/27/285
Ridgeway Close, Woodingdean Named 24 January 1966, numbered 2 March 19671. 1ESRO DB/D/27/332
Ridgewood Avenue, Saltdean Numbered 6 September 19561. 1ESRO DB/D/27/340
Riding School Lane From 31 Edward Street to 79 Carlton Hill. An industrial street.
      Bastock Cottage 1851
1851-1915+
Ridings, The, Ovingdean

¶ Ovingdean conservation area.
Short cul-de-sac of modern cottage-style housing.
Rifle Butt Road, Black Rock The name comes from the rifle practice range ('butts') for volunteer militia at nearby Sheepcote Valley. It included at the north east end a Friends' Meeting House that opened in 1859 with a burial ground; it closed in 1958. Numbering was consecutive northwards on the west side, continuing southwards on the east side. The road was demolished c1973/74 to clear the way for the access road to the Marina. The Brighton Gas Works were hit by enemy bombs on 25 May 1943.
      Black Rock Cottages formed the southern part of Rifle Butt Road until acquired by Brighton Borough Council in 1933 to be demolished for the creation of Marine Drive7.
      Black Rock Bakery, built 1867, acquired from Stevens Brothers by Brighton Borough Council in 19721.
      4 built 1839, acquired by Brighton Borough Council in 19702.
      5 built 1897, acquired by Brighton Borough Council in 19703.
      9 built 1869, acquired by Brighton Borough Council in 19694.
      21-22 built 1869, acquired by Brighton Borough Council in 19335.
      23 built 1844, acquired by Brighton Borough Council 19346.
Pa1883
1ESRO R/C/4/277
2ESRO R/C/4/276
3ESRO R/C/4/275
4ESRO R/C/4/278 (includes elevation of proposed houses 1869)
5ESRO R/C/4/279
6ESRO R/C/4/280 (includes plans of 18 plots in the street)
7ESRO R/C/4/292
Rigden Road, Hove William Rigden was the tenant of a 740-acre farm belonging to the Stanford family in Hove before 1841.
Riley Place Numbered 10 January 19391. 1ESRO DB/D/27/55
Riley Road Built 1903-1906. Renumbered 6 July 19051.
      100 bears the inscription 'B&CLVCH 1903' on the side wall facing Coombe Road. The meaning has not (yet) been discovered.
1ESRO DB/D/27/91
Ringmer Road, North Moulsecoomb Built in the late 1920s. Most streets in the north of the area are named after Sussex villages.
Robert Street

¶ North Laine conservation area.
1851. Dennis Hobden (see Dennis Hobden Close) was born here.
      16-17 was formerly the Jireh Strict Baptist Chapel, known as the Finch Chapel, built in 1846 but closed in 1902. It has since been used as manufacturing and commercial premises. 1851.
      Argus Lofts is the former and printing works of the Evening Argus, acquired in June 2001 by City Loft Developments and now an apartment, retail and office block and converted by Conran & Partners, completed in August 2003.
Robertson Road, Preston Built 1885-1889. Renumbered 16 August 18941.
      2-4 was the Sussex Temporary Home for Lost and Starving Dogs, founded in 1884 by Juliana and Maria Gregory in memory of their sister Caroline, three of five sisters who lived at Withdean Lodge in London Road. It later became the Canine Defence Animal Hospital and Dogs' Home and is now the PDSA Petaid Hospital. A plaque commemorates the original dogs' home.
      Wall letter box at the junction with Kingsley Road bears the VR royal cipher.
1ESRO DB/D/27/84
Robin Davis Close, Bevendean Built c2005 on part of the site of the former Bevendean Hospital.
Robin Dene
Robins Row, Portslade

¶ Portslade conservation area.
1881
Rochester Gardens, Hove

¶ Brunswick Town conservation area (1-6 consecutive, Gwydyr Mansions, Rochester Close).
Gwydyr Mansions, Rochester Court and Rochester Close are part of.
Rochester Street, Kemp Town Renumbered 15 November 18821. 1ESRO DB/D/27/255
Rock Buildings Built after 1776; five houses by 1795.
Rock Grove, Kemp Town

¶ Kemp Town conservation area.
Rear of Chichester Terrace. The lamppost at the eastern end is Grade II listed1. See also Kemp Town Place. Renamed 26 January 19332. 1EH
2ESRO DB/D/27/32
Rock Mews Former name of Rock Place.
      Battle of Waterloo PH 1851.
1851
Rock Place

¶ East Cliff conservation area.
Formerly known as Lower Rock Mews and Rock Mews.
      6 Battle of Waterloo pub.
      7a was Maples furniture factory.
Rock Street, Kemp Town<

¶ East Cliff conservation area.
Numbers are sequential along the north side, returning along the south side.
      14 was the home of pauper Mary Ann Day, mother of eight, who was murdered here in 14 February 1863. She eat a mince pie laced with arsenic by either 46-year-old profoundly deaf house painter William Sturt, who wanted to marry her, or by one of her daughters.
1851
Rodmell Avenue, Saltdean Renumbered 10 February 19481. 1ESRO DB/D/27/278
Roedale Cottages, Ditchling Road
Roedale Road Includes Payne's Terrace. Renumbered 7 March 19011. 1ESRO DB/D/27/169
Roedean 'Rough valley' (OE ruh dene). Now associated with the famous girls' public school on the cliffs (see Roedean Way).
Roedean Bottom open space
Roedean Crescent, Roedean
Roedean Road, Roedean (B2118). From its construction in 1897 this was the principal eastbound route following the closure of the old turnpike to Rottingdean (and was consequently known as Rottingdean Road) until the opening of Marine Drive in 1932. It includes Roedean Terrace and Roedean Way. Boundary stone at the corner of Whitehawk Road is Grade II listed1. Named 27 April 19332. Renumbered 9 July 19513.
      Bell Tower Industrial Estate was built in 1983 on the site of St Mark's School, of which the bell tower alone was preserved.
      East Brighton Golf Course at Wick Bottom was founded in 1893 as Kemp Town Golf Club and changed to its present name four years later. The club house was built and extended between 1897 and 1912.
      John Howard Cottages is a group of 24 Tudorbethan residences forming three sides of a square, built 1922 and renovated 1994 and managed by St George's Church as almshouses for retired nurses and others in the caring professions.
      John Howard House opened in 1914 as a convalescent home for gentlewomen, paid for by Sir John Howard, but requisitioned the same year as a hospital for officers. It later became a nurses' home and from 1974 was run by the Royal Hospital and Home for Incurables, Putney, which sold it in 1999. It is now the Brighton Steiner School.
      Miniature Golf Course opened in April 1957
      Roedean Terrace is a row of nine coastguard cottages built c1900.
1EH:
2ESRO DB/D/27/29
3ESRO DB/D/27/45
Roedean Way, Roedean       Roedean School was founded in 1885 by the Lawrence Sisters. The present building was designed by Sir John Simpson (and later parts with Maxwell Ayrton, both being the architects of Wembley Stadium) and opened in 1898, with a chapel of 1905-06 and arts, music and library wing of 1910-11. During the Second World War it was requisitioned first by the army and then the Royal Navy, being commissioned as HMS Vernon (R) on 3 May 1941. Other sites in Brighton and Hove were progressively added as outposts of the shore base. The school was evacuated to Keswick in Cumberland where teaching began again in September 1940 for the duration. The main buildings are Grade II listed1. 1EH:
Roman Road, Portslade
Romney Road, Rottingdean Numbered 6 September 19481. 1ESRO DB/D/27/285
Rose Hill

¶ Valley Gardens conservation area.
      Button Court is a block of 14 social housing flats. 1851
Rose Hill Close
Rose Hill East       Terrace House. 1851.
Rose Hill North       Rose Hill North Stables. 1851. 1851
Rose Hill Place       Summa Cottage. 1851. 1851
Rose Hill Terrace Built early 1850s. 1851.
      84-88 (?) damaged by bombs, replaced by prefabs that were demolished in 1966.
      Albert House. 1851.
      North Cottage. 1851.
Rosebery Avenue, Wick Estate, Woodingdean Numbered 29 April 19481. 1ESRO DB/D/27/283
Rosedene Close, Woodingdean Numbered 26 June 19581. 1ESRO DB/D/27/322
Rosehill Terrace Mews off Rose Hill Terrace.
Rothbury Road, Portslade Interwar development of semi-detached housing. Rothbury, Northumberland was the birthplace of local builder A L Middleton (see Rothbury Cinema under Franklin Road and Jesmond Road).
Rotherfield Crescent, Hollingbury
Rottingdean 'Valley of Rota's people' (OE Rotinga dene). One of the ancient manors and parishes in the area, named in Domesday Book as Rotingeden. The other component manors of the parish were Balsdean, Bazehill and Challoners. Formerly part of Newhaven Rural District, it was incorporated into the County Borough of Brighton in 1928 under the Brighton Corporation Act 1927. The shops at the crossroads were numbered 9 November 19351. 1ESRO DB/D/27/3
Rottingdean Place, Ovingdean See Falmer Road.
Rottingdean Road Former name of Roedean Road.
Rotyngs, The, Rottingdean Late 20th century housing development off Falmer Road.
Round Hill 1861
Roundhill Crescent

¶ Round Hill conservation area.
The steps between here and Richmond Terrace are known as the Cats' Creep. Renumbered (with three properties in Upper Lewes Road) 20 April 18811.
      1-13 are Grade II listed2.
      5 was one of the childhood homes (1850s-1860s) of Walter Arthur Copinger (1847-1910), the barrister who wrote the standard legal reference work on copyright (now Copinger and Skone James on Copyright).
      19-21, 23-27, 69-71, built c1865, are Grade II listed3.
      101 was the Lewes Road Hospital for Women and Children (aka Lady Chichester Hospital), replacing a dispensary in Islingword Road, from 1905 until it moved to 8 Ditchling Road in 1910. It is Grade II listed4.
      103-113 are Grade II listed5.
1ESRO DB/D/27/188
2EH
3EH
Round Hill Road

¶ Round Hill conservation area.
Round Hill Street

¶ Round Hill conservation area.
Roundway, Coldean
Row Hill 1851
Row Hill East 1851
Rowan Avenue, Hove The Dyke railway line ran behind the west side. Rowan Halt station was here January 1934 to December 1938.
Rowan Way, Rottingdean Named and numbered 21 December 1954, 29 November 1968 and 11 July 19751. 1ESRO DB/D/27/320
Royal Crescent, Marine Parade

¶ East Cliff conservation area.
Named by its principal promoter, J B Otto, a businessman of West Indian origin, to ingratiate himself at the court of the Prince Regent. The land was sold for building in 1798 99. Three houses were erected at each end of the crescent before Otto left the country on business—or became bankrupt and absconded, according to one more contemporary account. The crescent was not finished until 1807. While inscribing the words 'Royal Crescent' above the central houses, a workman called Leggatt stepped back to look at the S he had just completed, fell onto the railings below and was killed. A giant statue of the Prince Regent was erected in the garden by Otto in 1802 but it wore badly, aggravating the attitude of the prince towards Otto, and was removed in November 1819. Number of properties in 1822: 14. All houses are Grade II* listed1. In the mid 19th century most of the houses were let as furnished properties.
      2 was taken in the last year of his life, 1823, by Sir Richard Richards, Lord Chief Baron of the Exchequer.
      4 was home for many years of Sir John Thomas Briggs (1781-1865), accountant general to the navy, who died here on 3 February 1865.
      4-5 Sir Laurence Olivier, Baron Olivier of Brighton OM, lived here with his third wife Joan Plowright between 1961 and 1979. Brighton Corporation plaque.
      7 Laurence Olivier and Joan Plowright stayed here in July 1960 during the initial scandal about their relationship. The house was leant to them by Sir John Clements and Kay Hammond. This led to Olivier buying numbers 4 and 5.
      14 was the home of Frederick Perkins, manager and later part owner of Henry Thrale's brewery at Streatham.
Ba1822
1EH:
Royal Crescent Mews

¶ East Cliff conservation area.
Royles Close, Rottingdean Off Gorham Avenue.
Rugby Place, Kemp Town
Rugby Road

¶ Preston Park conservation area.
Renumbered 19 April 18941.
      74 Downs Junior School, was called the Ditchling Road Board School when it opened in 1890. Designed by Thomas Simpson, architect of the Brighton & Preston School Board. With the attached walls and gate piers it is Grade II listed2.
1ESRO DB/D/27/155
2EH
Rushlake Road, Coldean The section between Lewes Road and Forest Road was formerly known as West Drive.
Ruskin Place, Hove
Ruskin Road, Hove
Russell Cottage Gardens 1826
Russell Court 1826-1851
Russell Crescent, Seven Dials Renumbered 3 July 19511.
      3, 5 and 7, built c1845, are Grade II listed2.
1ESRO DB/D/27/294
2EH
Russell Mews

¶ Regency Square conservation area.
Gated development off Russell Square.
Russell Place Number of properties in 1822: 35
      † St Paul's School and St Paul's Vicarage were lost in the Churchill Square development.
Ba1822
Russell Square

¶ Regency Square conservation area.
Dr Richard Russell developed the practice of sea bathing at Brighton. The square was completed around 1825. Renumbered in the 1870s.
Russell Street Also called Russel Street, Great Russell Street. Built 1780s; 78 houses here by 1795. Number of properties in 1822: 61. Ran approximately on the centre line of Brighton Centre and Churchill Square, during which development it was lost.
      17 was the Church of the Holy Resurrection, designed in red brick by R H Carpenter and built for Rev Arthur Wagner, the vicar of St Paul's West Street, in 1879. It closed as early as 1911 and became the Central Meat Market until demolition in 1968.
      36 had an ice house 1834-18541.
      49 Bodle's Court was off here.
      63 was renumbered 21 December 1916.
Ba1822
1R G Martin: 'Ice Houses and the Commercial Ice Trade in Brighton' in Sussex Industrial History no 14: 21
Rutland Gardens, Hove       Stretton Court, a red-brick apartment block, bears the name of Joseph Harris Stretton, a local landowner (see Aldrington).
Rutland Road, Aldrington       Rutland Gospel Hall is a Congregational mission hall designed by William H Nash and opened in 1900. It was sold in the 1930s to finance the construction of Hounsom Memorial Chapel in Nevill Avenue.

 

Home
Streets beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

Page updated 9 October 2016