Streets beginning with
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
|K||Census districts lists||references|
|Kelly Road, Hove||Private road off Hove Park Road.||K1936|
¶ North Laine conservation area.
|Contrary to some sources, the houses were not renumbered shortly after the discovery at
47 (old numbered) where the decomposing corpse of Violette Kaye, victim in one of the 1934 Brighton trunk murders, was found in the basement.
|Kemptown||Now conventionally one word but originally Kemp Town, to identify the development of Lewes Crescent, Sussex Square, Arundel Terrace and Chichester Terrace by Thomas Read Kemp, a member of an old Sussex family—Kemp(e)—which had lived at Preston since the 16th century.
Now applied to a wider area in the east of Brighton than Kemp's planned development of the 1820s, more or less anywhere east of Grand Parade and south of Eastern Road as far as Arundel Road.
|† Kemp Town Branch Line||The branch line from Brighton station, effectively a spur of the Lewes line, was opened on 3 August 1869. It left the Lewes line just to the north of Prince's Road/Mayo Road, ran through what is now the Centenary Industrial Estate at Hughes Road, over the Lewes Road Viaduct, then under Hartington Road to the east of the Pevensey Road/Hastings Road and into a 945m tunnel behind Elm Grove School, emerging into the Kemp Town station yard in the appropriately named Coalbrook Road between Freshfield Road and Sutherland Road. The fare from Brighton to Kemp Town was 2d. It closed for passenger traffic on 31 December 1932, although it continued to carry coal and other goods until 1971. The land was subsequently bought by Brighton Corporation.|
|Kemp Town Industrial Estate||Developed during late 1970s on the site of the former Kemp Town railway station and sidings, the brickworked entrances to the tunnels still being visible at the rear of the site.|
|†Kemp Town Mews||Between Chichester Place and Rock Grove. Built 1824-1828. Renumbered 21 October 18861. Renamed Kemp Town Place 20 June 19292.||Pi1881–K1931
|Kemptown Mews||Gated development off Arundel Place.|
|Kemp Town Place
¶ Kemp Town conservation area.
|Formerly Kemp Town Mews. Now a private road.
1-7 including 1-3 Rock Grove are Grade II listed1, including the lamp brackets on nos 2 and 6a.
8-15 are Grade II listed2.
8, 8a were damaged by bombing on 14 September 19403.
|Kendal Road, Aldrington||Named after Rev George William Kendall of Bradford, Yorkshire, who came into ownership of a parcel of land on 6 February 1893 for £1,000. This land and a neighbouring plot owned by William Stoneham (see Stoneham Road), were among lands conveyed to George Payne of Brighton and Edgar Payne of Bayswater, London for £11,345 on 30 July 1900, by when this road and others adjacent were already laid out in plan1. No houses listed in 1901, 34 in To1903.||Pi1901
|Kenilworth Close, Bevendean||Cul-de-sac off Norwich Drive.||K1949 [no numbers listed]|
|Kenmure Avenue, Patcham||14 pairs of bungalows in English Moderne style and one other bungalow.||K1935|
¶ North Laine conservation area.
|Number of properties in 1822: 14
5 was a mission hall in late Victorian times.
22 was the first Body Shop, opened by Anita Roddick on 27 March 1976. City of Brighton & Hove plaque.
Bollard at the junction with North Road is Grade II listed.
¶ North Laine conservation area.
30-37 and 41-52 are Grade II listed.
¶ North Laine conservation area.
|† Kent's Court/Rents||At 32 or 52 Upper Russell Street. Square behind West Cliff (King's Road) on the site now occupied by Kingswest; a 'miniature square in 1779'1; Kent was the local builder. Court: 1826-1851.||1Harrison and North|
|†Kent Street||At 1 West Street, rear of King's Road. The site is now occupied by the Odeon Kingswest.||1826-1899|
|Kenton Road, Hove||Six pairs of Tudorbethan semi-detached houses.|
|Kenwards, Coldean||Circular cul-de-sac of which is a narrow roadway ending at one entrance to Coldean Primary School.|
|Kerrison Mews, Hove
¶ Brunswick Town conservation area.
|Pedestrian-only area between Upper Market Street and Lower Market Street, round the eastern side of the Old Market.|
|Kestrel Close, Hove||Cul-de-sac of mock-Georgian town houses off Upper Drive.||1826|
|Kevin Gardens, Woodingdean||Numbered 11 November 19681||1ESRO DB/D/27/440|
¶ West Hill conservation area.
|Kimberley Road||A crescent from Ladysmith Road of two-storey terraced housing, part of a complex of streets to the east of Lewes Road commemorating the Second Boer War, Kimberley being the diamond mining town in Cape Colony that was besieged from October 1899 to February 1900, when it was relieved by Lieutenant-General John French's cavalry, part of Lord Roberts' forces. Housing was built in two phases, the first in 1904-1906 when 42 houses were built by Blackman, 36 for Cruttenden1 and six for Baker2, plus eight built by Birch for Robinson3. Further building began in 1925 with eight houses for Heather by W Peters4, then 77 more houses were built by the Aylings (G and J) in 1927-19305.||1ESRO DB/D/7/5863, 6078, 6097
5ESRO DB/D/7/8000, 8071, 8116, 8135, 8258, 8297, 8630
|King George VI Avenue (A2038)
¶ Woodland Drive conservation area (open land to east adjoining Dyke Road Avenue).
|George VI (b.1895, r.1936-1952).|
|King George VI Drive||Runs alongside King George VI Avenue with housing on the east side, alternating two pairs of red-brick semi-detached houses with one pair of Tudorbethan for much of its length.The lower section is a cul-de-sac.|
|King Place||The southern stub of the former King Street on the north side of North Street.
West side near junction with North Street was demolished late 1938 and was a derelict site used as a corporation car park until the late 1940s, when Barclays Bank was built (?).
¶ North Laine conservation area (26, 27).
|Formerly Kings Street. Number of properties in 1822: 52. Only the northern stub remains on the south side of Church Street (see also King Place).
West side 1-30, east side 30-61.
†43. Gerrard's Court was here.
¶ The Avenues conservation area (from Fourth Avenue to St John's Road)).
¶ Cliftonville conservation area (8, Medina House, Benham Court, Spa Court).
|Formerly known as Medina Esplanade.
Hove Baths and Laundry, built in 1893 by Hove Baths and Laundry Company. That company was wound up in 1915 and the mortgage foreclosed by London City and Westminster Bank. The baths closed in 1938 when King Alfred opened. Used for industrial purposes after the war but derelict by the early 1970s. Demolished in 19761. Bath Court now stands in this space.
St Aubyn's Mansions was built c1900.
8 was a summer holiday home of former music hall star Vesta Tilley (Lady de Frece) from 19472.
Seafront shelter, dating from the mid 19th century but renovated since, is Grade II listed3.
2Women of Brighton
¶ The Avenues conservation area.
8 was the home of Arthur Sassoon.
9 King's Court was a residence of Hon Alan de Tatton Egerton (1845-1920), later 3rd Baron Egerton, while he was MP for Knutsford (the family seat was at Tatton Park).
14 was the home of Sir George Martin-Holloway, who took over the philanthropic work on the death of his brother-in-law, Thomas Holloway, who used his patent medicines fortune to found Royal Holloway College and the Holloway Sanatorium at Virginia Water (and lived at Tittenhurst Park, the future home of John Lennon and then Ringo Starr).
15-16 are in Fourth Avenue
Three cast-iron seafront shelters, built in the mid-19th century by Hove Corporation and restored in the late 20th century, are Grade II listed1.
|King's Mews, Hove
¶ The Avenues conservation area.
|See Third Avenue.|
|King's Parade||Terrace of nine shop premises with separate flats above between Hythe Road and Sandgate Road on the west side of Ditchling Road, separately numbered (1-17 odd numbers only), replacing 267-275 Dicthling Road.|
¶ Old Town conservation area (3 Queens House, 4, 5, Queens Hotel, 7-15 consecutive, 15a, 16, Jury's Waterfront Hotel, Old Ship Hotel, 39-66 consecutive).
¶ Regency Square conservation area (102-154 consecutive including Grand Hotel, Hotel Metropole, Bedford Hotel, Cavendish House, Kings Hotel, Kingsley Court, The Brighton Hotel, Norfolk Resort Hotel, Embassy Court, West Pier; Esplanade shelters, putting greens, pools, bandstand).
|(A259). Progressively built along the seafront, the first section being east of Russell Street between 1780 and 1788, after which the section to Regency Square was built by 1799 and the section westwards in the early 1800s. The section between Middle Street and West Street, the construction supervised by A H Wilds, was opened by George IV in 1822, creating a through road along the front. Formerly called Shoreham Road. Number of properties in 1822: 104. Numbered to the western borough boundary before1 and on 30 October 18902.
Queen's Hotel, originally known as the Royal or Markwell's Hotel (after the proprietor, J Markwell), was built on the site of Mohamed's Baths, where the battery previously stood. It opened on 30 July 1870. The architect was John Whichcord and the builder James Winterbourn24.
2-5 see 1-2a East Street.
6 was designed by Amon Henry Wilds c1825 as a terraced house. It is now part of the Queen's Hotel.
16 Dr Brightons dates back partly to the mid 18th century, when it was the Star and Garter hotel, although it acquired the nickname Dr Brighton's during the 19th century. Among celebrities who have stayed here are Richard Burton, Charlie Chaplin, the boxer Jack Dempsey and the future Edward VIII. It is Grade II listed3.
Jurys Inn Brighton Waterfront was built 1984-87 as the Ramada Renaissance Hotel at a cost of £25m23. An unfortunate addition to the seafront as it obliterated the southern part of Market Street, severing the vital connection into the Old Town. It later became the Thistle Hotel and is now Jurys Inn Brighton Waterfront.
Old Ship Assembly Rooms see Ship Street.
51-53, now a residential block for University of Sussex students, has the word LOVE painted in large letters across the roof, with the 'ban the bomb' symbol in the O.
56 was regularly visited by Michael Faraday (1784-1858) . In the late 19th century it was the home of James Willing.
67-68 was the Daily Telegraph Building, rebuilt by Joseph & Smithers in 1907/0821.
80-81 was Mutton's Hotel.
Brighton Centre has a plaque marking the last concert performed by Bing Crosby (1903-1977) on 12 October 1977, two days before his death.
85 was the Alhambra Opera House and Music Hall, designed by Frank Matcham, later the Palladium Cinema. It closed on 26 May 1956 and was derelict for a number of years until demolished in 1963. The site was then derelict until the Brighton Centre was built.
90-91 was the photographic studio, opened on 18 July 1864, of John J E Mayall (1813-1901), who was also mayor of Brighton in 1877-78.
94 was the Kings Court Hotel, which featured in the film of Brighton Rock (1947).
95 Embassy Court is an 11-storey apartment block built in 1934-36 in the English modern style, designed by Wells Coates. Graham Greene is said to have stayed here while writing Brighton Rock. Band leader Lou Praeger had a flat (11) here from 1951 to 1966. Rex Harrison lived here following the death of his wife Kay Kendall in 1959. Terence Ratigan lived here 1960-61 and Keith Waterhouse in 1983-1992. After becoming almost derelict, it was renovated by Conran & Partners and completed in November 2006. It is Grade II* listed. Plaque to Captain Edward Zeff MBE CdeG (1904-1973). The site was previously occupied by Western House, where William Waldorf Astor, 1st Viscount Astor (1848-1919) died.
97-99 Grand Hotel was built in 1862-1864 to a design by John Whichcord. At the time it was the largest hotel (150 rooms) and the tallest building in Brighton. It is Grade II listed4. It was here, at 2:40am on 12 October 1984 that an IRA bomb demolished much of the front of the hotel, where delegates to the Conservative Party conference were staying, including the prime minister, Margaret Thatcher, and members of the cabinet. Five people were killed. A remarkably detailed model of the hotel after the bombing, made for use in evidence at the trial of the bombers, can be seen in the Police Cells Museum at the Town Hall in Bartholomews.
99 prior to building of the Grand Hotel, this was Battery House, occupied by the commander of the local defences.
106-121 Metropole Hotel was designed by Alfred Waterhouse and opened in July 1890. Despite initial hostile reactions to its red brick and terracotta appearance, it soon became an icon for the Brighton seafront. Sir George Ferguson Bowen died here on 21 February 1899. The exhibition halls at the rear of the hotel and the Sussex Heights residential tower block were designed by Richard Seifert & Partners and completed in 1966, requiring the demolition of properties in St Margaret's Place, Cannon Place and Queensbury Mews.
122 was the home of Moses Mocatta in the 1840s-1850s.
127-128 were known as Queensbury Place in the 1860s. Demolished for the construction of the Metropole Hotel.
125-126 and 128 were built c1825 and are Grade II listed5.
131, also identified as 1 Regency Square, is Grade II* listed6.
132 was the Pandora Gallery, site of the first film screening in the UK outside London on 25 March 1896. The building is now the Melrose restaurant. A (badly eroded) Cinema 100 plaque marks the event. Soon after it became the Victoria Hall, which was also used for film shows of R W Paul's 'celebrated Animatographe' from 6 July 1896 to early November that year.
134, on the corner of Preston Street, was auctioned on 4 May 1861 on behalf of the Countess de Noailles22.
137 Bedford Hotel, now a Holiday Inn, opened on 16 September 1967 as the Bedford Hotel and, above it, the Bedford Towers apartments. The building was designed by R Seifert & Partners to replace the former Bedford Hotel, which was destroyed by fire on 1 April 1964 in the wake of a controversial planning application to demolish the building and construct a tower. The original hotel was designed by Thomas Cooper and opened in October 1829. Among many famous people who stayed there was Charles Dickens, who wrote Dombey and Son while staying here.
†142 Abinger House was built in 1851 and initially known as West Cliff House for Lady Abinger, widow of the Chief Baron of the Exchequer. It became the residence of Gerald Loder MP. The house was demolished in 1948 and the site remained empty for some years. It is now occupied by a block of flats called Kingsley Court.
146-148, built 1807-1818, are Grade II listed7. The entrance to 146 is on Bedford Square.
Norfolk Hotel. 1851.
149 Norfolk Resort Hotel was built in 1865, designed by Horatio N Goulty. It is Grade II listed8.
Dolphin Cottage, to the rear of nos 7-9, is a pair of fisherman's cottages, possibly dating in part from as early as 1720. It is Grade II listed9.
East Street Groyne contains a sculpture placed here in 1998 and officially called Afloat but also known as the Big Green Bagel. It was commissioned by Brighton Borough Council with a National Lottery grant (and therefore not a gift to the town from the mayor of Naples as sometimes reported). It represents the globe as a torus and was designed c1995 by Hamish Black (b 1948), who studied at Eastbourne College of Art, and cast at Pangolin Editions foundry in Stroud, Gloucestershire.
Lamppost on the south side opposite Regency Square bears a discreet plaque to commemorate the inauguration of electric lighting on the seafront on 16 September 1893.
Edward VII Memorial (Peace Statue) is just to the west of the kiosk in front of the West Pier and sits on the boundary between Brighton and Hove. It was designed by Newbury Abbot Trent (1885-1953), cast at A B Burton's foundry and built by Kirkpatrick Brothers. Trent won among 18 competition entrants. Unveiled by the Duke of Norfolk, Lord Lieutenant of Sussex on 12 October 1912, and bears the inscription: 'In the year 1912 the inhabitants of Brighton and Hove provided a home for the Queen's Nurses and erected this monument in memory of Edward VII as a testimony of their enduring loyalty'. The monument is Grade II listed10
Kiosk with 10 sides facing the end of West Street was built 1883-1887. It is Grade II listed11.
Groyne and pleasure promenade west of Palace Pier, formerly (c.1880) a coal landing place. Grade II listed12.
Passacaglia is a sculpture on the beach between Middle Street and West Street. It was designed by Charles Hadcock (b.1965) and cast by James W Shenton Ltd. It was installed on 20 March 1998 but removed in 2004 when cracks were found; it was returned without the damaged section in 200713.
Shelters, built c1883-1887, opposite Oriental Place, Preston Street, Ship Street, the Grand and Metropole Hotels and Western Street are Grade II listed14, as are the railings15—the ones between the Palace Pier and the Metropole Hotel (with wooden top rail) dating from 1886, those westward thence to the borough boundary from 1894—and 38 lampposts16 made in 1893 with fibreglass replicas of the copper and brass 1930s luminaires added in 1982 along the esplanade.
West Pier was built 1863-66 and opened on 6 October 1866. Designed by Eugenius Birch, the contractors were the Glasgow firm of Laidlaw & Son. The original structure cost £25,000 (cf, the Chain Pier, see Madeira Drive). The Pavilion was added in the 1890s and a concert hall during the Great War—appropriate in view of the pier's use as the set for Richard Attenborough's film of Oh! What a Lovely War (1969). The pier gradually closed between 1965 and 1975, after which it fell into serious disrepair. It was taken over by the West Pier Trust in 1984. Despite neglect and the predations of the elements and arsonists, the pier remains Grade I listed17.
† Brighton Central Pier, facing West Street, was proposed by A Dowson, engineer, on 30 November 188318. A similar scheme was submitted on 30 November 1886 by R St George Moore, engineer19. Neither was built.
Western bandstand, lavatories and walls opposite Bedford Square are Grade II listed20. The bandstand was designed by Brighton's borough surveyor, Philip Causton Lockwood, cast at the Phoenix Foundry in Lewes and opened in 1884.
13Brighton Sculpture Trail
14EH: 482011-16 respectively
22Brighton Gazette, 18 April 1861: 1
|King's Road, Hove||(A259).
195-205 was 1-10 Walsingham Terrace. Charles Stewart Parnell moved to no 1 from Medina Villas and died here.
|King's Road Arches||Constructed originally in the 1820s to support the new coast road and later extended seawards beneath King's Road and used originally for the fishing operations.
201 is now Brighton Fishing Museum.
National Museum of Penny Slot Machines.
|Kingsbury Street||Formerly called Chichester Street.|
|Kingscote Way||Part of the New England Quarter development. Kingscote is the northern terminus station of the Bluebell Railway.|
|Kingsley Road||Off The Drove. All houses built by George Burstow & Sons: 29 for Packham in 1898/991. 10, one and three for Wilkinson in 1900, 1902 and 19062 respectively, two for Rowe in 19013 and five houses and two garages for A Lower in 19304. Renumbered 20 March 19025.||1899
1ESRO DB/D/7/4741, DB/D/7/4904, DB/D/7/4918
2ESRO DB/D/7/5145, DB/D/7/5515, DB/D/7/6242
4ESRO DB/D/7/8488, DB/D/7/8496
|Kingsmere||See London Road.|
|Kingsthorpe Road, Hove||Built along the line of the Dyke railway track.|
|Kingston Close, Hangleton||Built along the line of the Dyke railway track.|
¶ The Avenues conservation area (North side: from 15/16 Kings Gardens to the west; to St. John's Road to the east, including Kings Gardens, Queens Gardens and Adelaide Mansions. South side: from Courtenay Gate to the west; to St. John's Road to the east, including Courtenay Gate, Kings Lawns and Kings Esplanade).
¶ Cliftonville conservation area (Flag Court, Courtenay, Victoria and St Catherine's terraces).
¶ Old Hove conservation area (Lancaster Court).
¶ Pembroke & Princes conservation area (143-163 odd).
¶ Sackville Gardens conservation area (165-203 odd, including Sackville Hotel & Girton House, croquet lawns, bowling greens, Western Lawns & pavilions)
|On the seaward south side are Courtney Terrace, Medina Terrace and Victoria Terrace.
1-4 (Adelaide Mansions), designed by Thomas Lainson, was built in 1873, a late addition to the Adelaide development on Isaac Lyon Goldsmid's Wick estate. and is Grade II listed3. Of these . . .
3-4 were converted into the Lanes Hotel in 1918. The First Avenue Restaurant and Zipadeedoodah Bar opened in 1990 on the ground floor. The whole, reconverted to flats in 2001.
149 (Norfolk Resort Hotel) was designed by Horatio Goulty and opened in 1865. The building, along with the walls and piers in the forecourt, are Grade II listed1.
157 was designed by Robert F Cromie in 1934 for Ian Stuart Miller, an iron millionaire (but not, as sometimes stated, a 'well-known film director'), and completed in 1935. Miller was an investor in the Lido cinema in Denmark Villas, which was designed by Cromie, a specialist in cinema interiors. Originally designated 1 Princes Crescent, it is now owned by the Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution and is known as Barford Court. The building and its perimeter wall, built in 1931, are Grade II listed2.
Albemarle Mansions, also known as 1 Medina Terrace, was built c1870 as a block of three apartments on an L-shaped plot on the corner between Victoria Terrace and Medina Terrace. It is Grade II listed4.
King Alfred Leisure Centre was to have been called Hove Marina at its opening but even before the public had a chance to use it was requisitioned by the Royal Navy and opened as a training establishment for naval officers on 11 September 1939 with the name HMS King Alfred. The name was kept after the war when it finally opened to the public in August 1946.
King's Gardens comprises four detached houses (1-4) and a terrace of houses (8-14) built c1890 by J T Chappell. All are Grade II listed with the front wall5.
2-5 St Catherine's Terrace were built 1852-1853 with later alterations and are Grade II listed6.
Pillar box outside 3 St Catherine's Terrace bears the VR royal cipher.
6 St Catherine's Terrace is Albany Towers, an eight-storey black of flats.
8 St Catherine's Terrace is The Priory, an eight-storey black of flats.
† Aldrington Pier. A plan for a pier approximately between Sackville Gardens and Walsingham Road was submitted on 28 November 18797; the surveyor and engineer are unknown. Never built.
† Cliftonville Pier. A plan for a pier facing Brunswick Cricket Ground (Gausden's, where Third and Fourth Avenues are now) was submitted on 28 November 1868 by J W Wilson, Engineer8. Another scheme for a pier in roughly the same place was proposed by Eugenius Birch, submitted 29 November 18779. Never built.
† Hove Pier. A plan for a pier facing St Aubyn's was submitted to the Board of Trade on 30 November 1883 by George Gordon Page, engineer10. Another plan for a pier facing First Avenue was submitted on 30 November 1891 by M Noel Ridley and W M Duxbury, engineers of Westminster11. Never built.
|Kingswood Street||Formerly part of Carlton Hill, renamed1 after Kingswood Flats, built 1938 and named in turn after Sir Kingsley Wood (1881-1943), Minister of Health with responsibility for the national slum clearance policy, on the site of Nelson Place and Sussex Street Primitive Methodist church.
Catholic Apostolic Church was on the south side on part of the site now occupied by University of Brighton Faculty of Art and Design.
|1renamed post 1949?|
|Kipling Avenue, Woodingdean||Rudyard Kipling lived in nearby Rottingdean (see The Green). Clusters of pairs of terraces of six houses facing across a communal green with garages areas behind each terrace in the north-south section. Numbering 3 June 19651, supplementary numbering 3 March 19662.||1ESRO DB/D/27/429
|†Knab/Knabb/Knap, The||The area in the old town to the south-west of the corner of North Street and East Street and including Brighton Place. Dates from the earliest times; 44 houses present by 1776, another 12 added by 1795.|
|Knepp Close, Bevendean||Cul-de-sac|
|Knole Road, Rottingdean||Knole was the village in Kent from which came the landowning Sackville family. Numbered 9 March 19481.||1ESRO DB/D/27/280|
|Knoll Close, Hove||Numbered 9 March 19481.||1ESRO DB/D/27/280|
|Knoyle Road, Preston
¶ Preston Park conservation area.
|Named after the Wiltshire estates of the Stanford family, which owned the land. Developed piecemeal between 1900 and 1930. Numbered 23 May 19291.
Crowhurst Hall was built for Robert Crowhurst in memory of his wife Charlotte and opened in 1928.
Knoyle Hall (Preston Parish Church Hall) was donated by the then vicar at a cost of £3,000 when a fund-raising campaign proved inadequate. It was opened on 27 March 1913 by the Bishop of Chichester and was used by the newly created University of Sussex as a lecture hall in 1961-62.
Page updated 15 April 2017