Streets of Brighton & Hove

 

     
Guide to streets
Streets beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
  Search the site
     
F Census districts lists references
Fairfield Crescent, Hollingbury Withdean Estate East. Former name of Hartfield Avenue. Named 5 April 19381. 1ESRO DB/D/27/41
Fairfield Gardens, Portslade Ke1947—
Fairlie Gardens, Surrenden Cul-de-sac of bungalows off Surrenden Crescent. Numbered 15 Mafch 19711. Ke1973—
1ESRO DB/D/27/436
Fairlight Place Fairlight is an East Sussex village east of Hastings. Seven three-storey terraced houses on west side.
      For Fairlight Primary School (Pa1880) see Hastings Road.
Pa1872
Fairview Rise, Withdean Numbered 29 October 19591. Ke1956—
1ESRO DB/D/27/363
Fairway Crescent, Portslade Ke1964—
Fallowfield Close, West Blatchington Abergavenny land. Ke1947—
Fallowfield Crescent, West Blatchington Abergavenny land.
      7 (Dee Sea) and 9 built c1937 by Braybons for Winchester Estates Development Company (Brighton) Ltd1.
Ke1947—
1ESRO ACC8745/61
FALMER 'Pleasant pool' (OE fæle mere). Ancient parish to the north-east of Brighton, comprising the manors of Bevendean, Falmer and Patchway. Parts of Falmer were incorporated into the County Borough of Brighton in 1928 under the Brighton Corporation Act 1927, the rest being absorbed in 1952. Now dominated by the campus of the University of Sussex.  
Falmer Avenue, Saltdean Numbered 4 June 19641. Ke1949—
1ESRO DB/D/27/411
Falmer Close, Woodingdean Former name of Falmer Gardens. Numbered 6 October 1955, supplementary numbering 4 June 19591. Extension named 24 January 19662. Ke1966—
1ESRO DB/D/27/327
2ESRO DB/D/27/352
Falmer Gardens, Woodingdean Formerly known as Falmer Close. Ke1969—
Falmer House Road, Falmer University of Sussex campus access road.  
Falmer Road, Ovingdean (B2123) At Woodingdean it was formerly known as Downs Road.
      Longhill High School. Officially opened in 1964.
      Rottingdean Place was built in 1912 as St Mary's Home for Female Penitents, which had previously been in Queen Square. The home closed in 1974. The property was bought by the Church of Scientology in 1980 but sold on for residential development. Sisters of the Community of the Blessed Virgin, a religious order founded by Rev Arthur Wagner, retain the right to burial in the graveyard associated with the former chapel.
 
Falmer Road, Rottingdean (B2123)

¶ Rottingdean conservation area (Downlands, 1-4 Northgate Cottages, 1-4 Challoners Cottages, Flint Wall to The Rotyngs).
Part numbered 19 April 1955 and from The Green to Court Farm Road 21 April 19711.
      Challoners [qv] dates internally from the 15th and 16th centuries with a frontage from the 18th century. Grade II listed2.
      Little Challoners was built in 1804 and is Grade II listed2.
      New Barn dates from the 18th and 19th centuries and is Grade II listed3.
      1-4 Northgate Cottages date from the 18th century, except for no 4, which bears the inscribed date 1881 with the initials S&GHB. Grade II listed4.
Ke1947—
1ESRO DB/D/27/285
2HE 1380500
3HE 1380501
4HE 1380502
Falmer Road, Woodingdean Formerly known as Downs Road. Numbered 16 Jun 19481. Ke1947—
1 image
Farm Close, Portslade Originally at North House Farm. Ke1964—
Farm Hill, Wick Estate, Woodingdean Numbered 29 April 19481. 1ESRO DB/D/27/283
Farm Mews, Hove

¶ Brunswick Town conservation area.
At 12 Farm Road.  
Farm Road, Hove

¶ Brunswick Town conservation area.
Led to Wick Farm. Several mews are to the rear of the west side at 4 (Lansdowne), 12 (Farm), 16 (Goldsmid), 18, 19-20 and 22.
      3 Lansdowne Arms. 1881. Now Coopers Cask.
Fo1852—
Farm Yard Now a small enclosed cul-de-sac off the north-east corner of Churchill Square but until the end of 18th century a large farm yard to the east of Upper Russell Street. [1826]
Farman Street, Hove

¶ Brunswick Town conservation area.
Originally at 7 Western Road, now a cul-de-sac from Cross Street.
      Hove National School. 1855.
Br1845—
Farmway Close, Hangleton Partly follows the line of the lane to the former Hangleton Farm. Ke1964—
Fenchurch Walk Stepped pedestrian area as westward continuation of Ann Street.  
Ferndale Road, Hove Pi1912—
Fernhurst Close Ke1956—
Fernhurst Crescent Ke1954—
Fernwood Rise, Westdene Numbered 4 July 19531, supplementary numbering 7 February 19572. Ke1856—
1ESRO DB/D/27/311
2ESRO DB/D/27/343
Findon Close, Hangleton One of a group of adjoining roads named after Sussex villages. Ke1951—
Findon Road, Whitehawk One of a group of adjoining roads named after Sussex villages. Social housing replaced post-WW2 prefabricated housing1. Supplementary numbering 3 September 1964, 1 November 19662, part numbering 3 August 19833. Ke1933—
1Aerial photo 1947.
2ESRO DB/D/27/414
3ESRO DB/D/27/445
Finsbury Road       Crown Hill. Former council flats.
      Finsbury Road Board School, later county primary school and now the fashion and textiles department of the University of Brighton, was designed by Thomas Simpson, the Brighton & Preston School Board architect, and opened in 1881. Now Hanover Lofts apartments.
      Westmount. Extensive block of former council flats.
Pa1871—
Fir Close, Woodingdean Cul-de-sac of three detached houses off Foxdown Road.  
Fircroft Close, Withdean Takes its name from Fir Croft (1881), the Victorian house, built around 1860, that stood on the site (see Varndean Drive).  
Firle Road Inter-war years pebbledash council housing development named after local Sussex villages (cf, Glynde Road). Pi1925—
First Avenue, Hove

¶ The Avenues conservation area.
One of four sequentially numbered avenues running off Kingsway parallel with and on either side of Grand Avenue. Four properties listed 'and other houses unoccupied' in Pa1875.
      2 was the constituency residence of Bruce Cannin Vernon-Wentworth, MP for Brighton.
      Pillar box outside 11 bears the VR royal cipher.
      12 was the childhood home of novelist Patrick Hamilton (1904-1962). Plaque sponsored by Penguin Books.
      36 was the home of Chief Rabbi Dr Nathan Marcus Adler from 1880 until his death1, although the property was listed as unoccupied in the 1891 census.
      41 is Grade II listed2.
      56 is Grade II listed3.
Pa1875—
1Jtrails
2HE 1309640
3HE 1280737
Fishbourne Road, Hove The name given to Eaton Gardens in the original plans for the Cliftonville area. Fishbourne is a village and site of a Roman palce near Chichester.  
Fishersgate Terrace, Portslade Pa1892—
Fitch Drive, Bevendean Alderman Stan Fitch, a Brighton borough councillor (1957-1985) and East Sussex county councillor, lived in Lower Bevendean. Terraced housing and council flats.  
Fitzherbert Drive, Bevendean Built 2005 (?) on the site of the former Bevendean Hospital. Mrs Maria Fitzherbert (1756-1837) was the morganatic wife (in an invalid marriage ceremony) of George IV, who lived at 55 Old Steine.  
FIVEWAYS Area around conjunction of three roads—Hollingbury Road, Preston Drove, Stanford Avenue—with Ditchling Road.  
Fleet Street Former name of the section of New England Street south of Ann Street to Cheapside. But see next entry. Ta1854—
Fleet Street Name revived for new road in New England Quarterbetween Cheapside and New England Street.  
Fletching Close, Whitehawk Winding cul-de-sac off Whitehawk Way. It retained the name of the former Fletching Road. Fletching is a Wealden village. Numbered 3 August 19831. 1ESRO DB/D/27/445
Fletching Road, Whitehawk One of the longer roads lost in the remodelling of the WHitehawk estate in the late 1970s, running between the former Whitehawk Avenue and Nuthurst Road. Ke1951–Ke1966
1ESRO DB/D/27/445
Flimwell Close Cul-de-sac.Flimwell is a village near Ticehurst in East Sussex. Existing numbering registered 11 June 19801. 1ESRO DB/D/27/445
Flint Close, Portslade Council housing. Two blocks each of 12 garages replaced by four affordable family houses for rent, completed September 2016 as part of the city council's New Homes for Neighbourhoods scheme.  
Florence Avenue, Hove Former council housing. Pi1927—
Florence Place Off Ditchling Road. Named and numbered 18 January 19491.
      Jewish Cemetery Chapel (Ohel) was designed by Lainson & Son and built by Garrett in 1893 on land given by Thomas Read Kemp. Among the graves are those of Henry Solomon (see Town Hall under Bartholomews), Emmanuel Cohen, founder and first editor of the Brighton Guardian and Hyam Lewis, Town Commissioner in Brighton—the first Jew to hold office in a British municipality. The octagonal chapel, its walls and gates and the lamppost next to the gates are Grade II listed2.
Ke1951—
1ESRO DB/D/27/286
2HE 1380504, 1380505, 1380506
Florence Road, Preston

¶ Preston Park conservation area (1-77 consecutive (including 2a, 38 Calmvale House, 48 Bletchley Court), St Peter's Baptist Church, 79).
'Houses building' in Pa1883. Renumbered1.
      Florence Road Baptists Church was designed by George Baines and opened in 1894.
Pa1883—
1ESRO DB/D/27/261
Fonthill Road, Hove Fonthill is in Wiltshire.
      25-33, three pairs of semi-detached villas, built by S C Smale, planning application dated 1 February 18921
      Pillar box outside 60 bears the VR royal cipher.
Pa1895—
1ESRO DO/C/6/1006
Foredown Close, Portslade Cul-de-sac of bungalows. Ke1964—
Foredown Drive, Portslade Inter-war years' semi-detached housing. Ke1947—
Foredown Road, Portslade       Foredown Tower was built in 1909 to supply water to the Foredown Isolation Hospital (see Crest Way). It is now a countryside centre. Pi1921—
Forest Road, Coldean Links Coldean Lane and Rushlake Road. Ke1951—
Forge Close, Coldean Cul-de-sac.  
Foundry Street

¶ North Laine conservation area.
Renumbered 5 December 19011. Census1841; Br1845—
1ESRO DB/D/27/124
Fountains Close, Hollingbury Cul-de-sac. Ke1954—
Founthill Avenue, Saltdean Numbered 6 September 1956, supplementary numbering 7 March 19631.
      13 Whitewalls was designed for Mrs A M Matthew by Claude H Cowney in 1934 in moderne style. In 1939 is was occupied by the comedian Will Fyffe on his return from the USA. The Scottish comedian Jock McKay was also resident at that time.
Ke1947—
1ESRO DB/D/27/337
Founthill Road, Saltdean Mixed housing, mostly Tudorbethan detached. Ke1947—
Fourth Avenue, Hove

¶ The Avenues conservation area.
One of four sequentially numbered avenues running between Church Road and Kingsway parallel with and on either side of Grand Avenue. This and neighbouring Third Avenue were built on the site of the Royal Brunswick Ground, also known as C H Gausden's Ground, the home of Sussex County Cricket Club from 1848 to 1871. 'Houses building' in Pa1881.
      Hamilton Mansions between 15-16 King's Gardens and 2 Fourth Avenue.
      28, Hove Club was designed by Samuel Denman and opened in 1897. The first floor was converted into a casino in 1978. Grade II listed with its attached walls and railings1.
      35 was the home of Sibyl, Marchioness of Queensberry (1848-1937) and her son Lord Alfred Douglas (see also
Nizell's Avenue) from 1925 to 1935.
Pa1881—
1HE 1205450
Fox Way, Portslade
Foxdown Road, Woodingdean Ke1966—
Foxhunters Road, Portslade Three pairs of semi-detached bunglalows. Ke1947—
Framfield Close, Coldean Framfield is a village near Uckfield.
Francis Street [1826] Br1845—
Franklin Road, Brighton Pa1868—
Franklin Road, Portslade       Rothbury Cinema was designed by George Coles and built by A L Middleton for his partnership with Oscar Deutsch and F Stanley Bates. Deutsch and Bates withdrew to start the Odeon cinema chain, taking Coles as chief architect. Middleton opened the Rothbury on 27 March 1934 and closed on 19 January 1964. It was a Mecca Biingo hall until 1978 and, after a period of dereliction, was converted into the radio studios of Southern FM (now Heart Sussex) in 1983. Pi1912—
Franklin Street 'Building' in Pa1872. Numbered 15 September 18801. Pa1872—
1ESRO DB/D/27/198
Frant Road, Hove Named after the district near Tunbridge Wells where the family seat of the Nevills, owners of land in Hove, was situated (see also Eridge Road). Ke1936—
Frederick Cottages At 81 Gloucester Lane—no thoroughfare. [1854] Fo1861–Ke1936
Frederick Gardens

¶ North Laine conservation area.
[1826] Census1841; Br1845—
Frederick Place

¶ North Laine conservation area.
Number of properties in 1822: 29
      35 The Old School House
      †36-41 were empty 1961 but not demolished until 19691.
Ba1822—
1James Gray JG_25_230
Frederick Street

¶ North Laine conservation area.
      St Nicholas Memorial School for girls opened 1854 when St Nicholas church was restored. Closed 1944.1 [1839] Census1841; Br1845—
1James Gray JG_25_229
Frederick Terrace, Brighton In Gloucester Lane [Road]. A block of offices with this name is in Frederick Place [qv]. Census1841; Br1845–Pa1872
Frederick Terrace, Portslade Pa1891–
Freehold Terrace, Hollingdean Part owned by Charles Brill in the 1850s2. Former Hollingdean Place added and the whole renumbered 24 June 19511. Pa1871—
1ESRO DB/D/27/299
2Poll Book 1856
Freemans Road, Portslade
Freshfield Avenue Briefly the name of the northern continuation of Freshfield Road [qv]. Pi1901
Freshfield Place

¶ Queens Park conservation area (no 1 only).
Charles Freshfield lived at Pennant Lodge (now part of Queen's Park Villas) in West Drive and later on Marine Parade. The lamppost on the corner with South Avenue is Grade II listed1. Pi1901—
1HE 1380507
Freshfield Road Originally called Park Road East (cf, Queen's Park Road). See previous entry for name. Numbered 20 January 19011. Part renumbered 27 January 19271.
      29 had formerly been All Souls Vicarage, sold to Southdown Motor Company on 10 August 1928.
      124 was the birthplace of Mercedes Gleitze.
      Race Hill reservoir (covered) on the west side opposite the racecourse winning post, had a capacity of 600,000 gallons.
Pa1887—
1ESRO DB/D/27/94
2ESRO DB/D/27/72
Freshfield Street Formerly known as Freshfield Terrace. Renumbered 29 January 19011.
      1-9 and 11-33 on the north side were designed by F T Cawthorne for William Henry Abbey, whose initial 'A' and the date 1899 are on inscriptions on 11-3 amd 31-33; 3-5 and 7-9 look as though they may have too once. Planning application: 1 December 18982.
      1 still bears the original tile and iron-frame street name.
      2-24 on the south side were designed by F T Cawthorne for Hawthorne. Planning application: 21 December 18993.
      35-45 were built by George Burstow for Earnshaw; planning application dated 20 December 1900 4.
      47-59 were built by George Burstow for Earnshaw; planning application dated 16 October 19025.
      Apart from two houses built for and by Foord in 19026, Burstow built all the remaining houses for Weeks: two sets of six in 19067, 10 more in 19078 and the final six in 19109.
1ESRO DB/D/27/112
2ESRO DB/D/7/4855,4856
3ESRO DB/D/7/5090
4ESRO DB/D/7/5264
5ESRO DB/D/7/5579
6ESRO DB/D/7/5760
7ESRO DB/D/7/63056141,6105
8ESRO DB/D/7/6305
9ESRO DB/D/7/6411
Freshfield Terrace Incorporated into Freshfield Road by 1882 but renumbered 20 January 19011. 1ESRO DB/D/27/94
Freshfield Terrace Renamed Freshfield Street [qv] and numbered 29 January 19011. 1ESRO DB/D/27/112
Freshfield Way On the site of the former Kemptown railway station forecourt.
Friar Close, Surrenden Cul-de-sac of executive detached houses built on the Hollingbury Copse estate. Ke1968—
Friar Crescent, Surrenden Built on the Hollingbury Copse estate. Numbered 15 May 19451. Ke1937—
1ESRO DB/D/27/251
Friar Road, Surrenden Built on the Hollingbury Copse estate. Numbered 2 May 19391.
      7 was the home of Alderman Miss Margaret Hardy.
Pi1925—
1ESRO DB/D/27/54
Friar Walk, Surrenden Cul-de-sac of three semi-detached inter-war years' houses and a dormer bungalow. No properties in Ke1938. Ke1938—
Frimley Close, Woodingdean Steeply-sloped cul-de-sac of detached bungalows. Numbered 2 November 19611. Ke1966—
1ESRO DB/D/27/404
Friston Close, East Moulescoomb Built in the late 1940s. Most streets in the north of the area are named after Sussex villages. Ke1949—
Frith Road, Hove W P (William Powell) Frith RA (1819-1909) was an English painter. The road was built c.1905. One of five Victorian painters commemorated in adjacent streets (the others being Landseer, Leighton, Poynter and Prinsep). Pi1901—
Fryern Court Cottages, Portslade Census1881
Fullers Place, Portslade Off Station Road. [1881]
FulmarClose, Hove Cul-de-sac of two-storey houses in groups of three with separate garage block. Ke1970—
Furze Hill, Hove       Aylesbury Villa.. 1881.
      Chaly. 1881.
      Furze Croft, the seven-storey apartment block designed by Toms & Partners in 1936 in the moderne style was developed by Bell Modern Flats. It is locally listed.
      Furze Hill House. 1881.
      † Merton House was designed by Decimus Burton and built c1845. It was the family home of William Holme Bodley MD and briefly included his son the architect G F Bodley. Its name was changed to Beaconsfield in 1889. It was demolished in 1958 together with
      † Furze Hill Lodge and replaced by
      Furze Hill Court apartment block.
      Wavertree House was built in 1892, probably for a German physician, Dr J C Uhthoff, and soon enlarged. It is now a home for the elderly blind with access from Somerhill Road. Grade II listed1.
      † Wick Hall, an imposing mansion, was designed in the 1830s by Decimus Burton for Sir Isaac Lyon Goldsmid. It was demolished in 1935 and replaced by
      Wick Hall, an extensive block of flats developed by Bell Modern Flats.
Br1846—
1HE 1398672
Furze Hill Road, Hove       Windlesham House. 1851 Br1846—

Home
Streets beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

 

Page updated 1 May 2021