|Names beginning with|
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
|associated with [*plaque]|
|D'AGUILAR, Major-General Sir George Charles (1784-1855)
Lieutenant-Governor of Hong Kong 1843-1848, where a street and Cape D'Aguilar are named in his honour, and D'Aguilar National Park in Queensland, Australia. His final home was in Brunswick Square.
|• 30 Brunswick Square|
|DALRYMPLE, Major-General Sir Adolphus John bt (1784-1866)
Army officer and MP for Brighton 1837-1841 (contested the seat unsuccessfully in 1832, 1835 and 1841). He was MP for three other constituencies at different times.
|• 5 Brunswick Terrace|
|DARE, Phyllis (1890-1975)
Actress, born Phyllis Constance Haddie Dones in Chelsea, she first appeared on stage at the age of nine. She made her name in musicals, in starring roles from 1909. Her last role was in Ivor Novello's King's Rhapsody, appearing with her sister Zena, in a two-year run from 1949. She retired to Brighton in 1951.
|• Flat 19, Mitre House, 149 Western Road [residence 1949-1965]
• 68 Sedgwick Road (now Bramble Way), Hollingbury [residence 1966-c1975]
|DARLING, Alfred (1861-1931)
Son of a 'master engineer and machinist' with a substantial business when Alfred was a boy (he employed 28 men and boys in 1871). Alfred initially worked for his father in Lambeth. He married in 1882. After the birth of their first two children (they went on to have six more), the family moved to Brighton in 1887/88 but Alfred remained in lodgings in London, working as an engine fitter. He began his own engineering business at his home, 47 Chester Terrace, Brighton in 1894, but by mid 1896 had moved into a workshop at 25 Ditchling Rise. He later moved the family home to 83 Ditchling Rise.
On 18 September 1896 he was commissioned to carry out repairs to a film camera for Esmé Collings. Among early clients were G A Smith and James Williamson. The latter ascribed the early start of film-making in the area and his own beginnings to the contribution made by Darling.
With Alfred Wrench he designed a 35mm camera, which they patented in 1897. For Charles Urban in 1899, he designed and built the Biokam camera for amateur and semi-professional use, which used 17.5mm film. As well as cameras and projectors, his company made film printers, perforators, winders and tripods. In 1901, when he was still listed in the census as a railway engine fitter, he was commissioned by Urban to make a prototype three-colour camera to a design by Edward Turner, whose work—the basis of G A Smith's work that led to Kinemacolor—was backed by Urban.
When Charles Urban Trading Company was set up in 1903, Darling was an investor and, for a time, a director of the company. His company moved from Ditchling Rise to South Street, Preston in the north of Brighton in 1926. Alfred Darling left nearly £26,000 and is buried in Hove cemetery.
|• 47 Chester Terrace
• 25 Ditchling Rise
• 83 Ditchling Rise
|DARLING, General Sir Ralph (1772-1858)
Governor of New South Wales 1824-1831. Highly unpopular during his tenure, the Darling River and Darling Downs are named after him, the Sydney suburbs of Darling Point and Darlinghurst after his wife. He retired to and died in Brighton.
|• 39 Brunswick Square|
|D'AUBIGNY, William (d 1176)
The first Earl of Arundel, who married Adeliza of Louvain (d. 1151), the widow of Henry I.
|• D'Aubigny Road|
|D'AVIGDOR-GOLDSMID, Sir Osmond E bt (1877-1940)
Succeeded to the Goldsmid estates on the death of his cousin, Sir Julian Goldsmid. he was granted a baronetcy in his own right in 1934. nephew of Sir Julian Goldsmid, who had eight daughters but no sons, so Osmond inherited his uncle's entailed property in 1896. He was High Sheriff of Kent and President of the Board of Deputies of British Jews. The baronetcy that became extinct on Sir Julian's death was revived for Osmond in 1934 in recognition of his public service.
|• Osmond Road
• Davigdor Road
|DE ROSAZ, Chevalier François (1799-1876)
Doctor and financier, founded the Female Orphan Asylum in Western Road in 1822, which moved to Gloucester Street and then in 1853 to a new building in Eastern Road (now the Latilla Building of the Royal Sussex County Hospital).
|• 51 Upper Bedford Place
• 1 Arundel Terrace
• Rosaz House, Bristol Gate
|DEVONSHIRE, Duke of
See William George Spencer Cavendish
|• Bedford Hotel, King's Road|
DICKINS, Charles Scrase JP (1794-1875) was born in Brighton and baptised at St Nicholas' Church. He married Lady Frances Elizabeth Smith Compton, daughter of Charles Compton, 1st Marquess of Northampton, who inherited the Coolhurst estate at Horsham from her mother. Owned one moiety of the Manor of Brighton1.
DICKINS, Charles Spencer Scrase JP, son of Charles Scrase Dickins. Born in Hove. Landowner, including York Hotel, Old Steine1.
DICKINS, Charles Robert Scrase DL JP (1857-1947). Landowner. Born in Hove, son of Charles Spencer Scrase Dickins. President of the Royal Sussex County Hospital. Lived at Coolhurst, Horsham (for the gardens at which he was awarded the RHS Victoria Medal for Horticulture in 1934), Chester Square, London and 11 Chichester Terrace. Left £12,596 1s 8d, plus settled land valued at £247,248 4s 8d.
|1Poll Book 1856
• 11 Chichester Terrace
|DORSET, Earls/Dukes of
Landowners. See Sackville family.
|• Dorset Buildings
• Dorset Gardens
• Dorset Street
• New Dorset Street
• Dorset Court, Carlisle Road
• Hangleton Manor
• Dyke Road Drive
|DREWITT, Stanley (1874-1964)
Actor, born in Rosario, Argentina. He died in Hove.
|• 27 New Steine [residence]|
|DUFF, Alexander William George, 1st Duke of Fife KG, KT, GCVO, VD, PC (1849-1912)
MP for Elginshire and Nairnshire 1874-1879, when he succeeded as 6th Earl Fife. He was created Earl of Fife in 1885 by Queen Victoria and in 1889 married her granddaughter, Princess Louise, following which he was created Duke of Fife and Marquess of Macduff. He fell ill after surviving a shipwreck with his family off the coast of Egypt and died at Aswan.
|• 1 Lewes Crescent (Fife House)* [residence 1896-1924]|
|DYER, Anson (1876-1962)
A pioneering and, during the 1930s, England's leading film animator. He was born, probably at his childhood home in William Street, the fifth of at least seven children of James Dyer, a 'chairman' (previously a carrier of a sedan chair but by then someone who pushed an invalid carriage around town), and Sarah, a charwoman. He studied at Brighton School of Art in Grand Parade. Rejected for service during the First World War, he began his film career making topical war cartoons for British Colonial and Kinematograph Company in 1915.
|• 55 William Street
• 43 Chester Terrace
Page updated 25 February 2017