|Names beginning with|
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
|associated with [*plaque]|
|CALVERT, Louis (1859-1923)
Born in Brighton, the son of itinerant actors. On stage he spent much of his career in the USA. He had a limited but significant connection with the cinema: he played in King John (1899), starring Sir Herbert Beerbohm Tree and directed by William K L Dickson (who defined 35mm film when working for Edison) and Walter Pfeffer Dando for British Mutoscope and Biograph Company—almost certainly the first ever film of a Shakespeare play (albeit only two minutes long). He made only one more film, for Hepworth in 1913. In 1918 he wrote a book, Problems of the Actor, which is still available1.
|1Problems of the Actor|
|CAMPBELL, John, Marquess of Lorne
Married Princess Louise, Queen Victoria's fourth daughter, on 21 March 1871 and was heir to the dukedom of Argyll.
|• Argyle Road
• Campbell Road
• Lorne Road
|CANNING, Rt Hon George (1770-1827)
MP at age 23, supporter of William Pitt and prime minister for four months before his death in office, lived in Brighton (see plaque on the former Royal Crescent Hotel).
|• Royal Crescent Mansions, Marine Parade|
|CARDEN, Alderman Sir Herbert (1867-1941)
Solicitor and socialist local politician, served as mayor of Brighton for three terms from 1916 to 1919. He played a major part in the development of the town.
|• 30 Old Steine
• Carden Avenue
• Carden Close
• Carden Crescent
• Carden Hill
|CARPENTER, Charles (1797-1882)
Magistrate, chairman of the Brighton bench; first chairman of the Hove Commissioners. Born in Saltash, Cornwall. Royal Naval lieutenant on half pay (1851). Father of Edward Carpenter.
|• 45 Brunswick Square|
|CARPENTER, Edward (1844-1929)
Poet, pioneer socialist and gay writer, was born in Brunswick Square, son of Charles Carpenter, and educated at Brighton College.
|• 45 Brunswick Square|
|CARSON, Rt Hon Sir Edward KC MP (1854-1935)
Lived at Northgate House in Bazehill Road, Rottingdean around the time he became the founder leader of the Ulster Unionist Party (1912) and formed the loyalist paramilitary organisation, the Ulster Volunteers (1913).
|• Bazehill Road|
||• Black Lion, 37 Black Lion Street|
|CASEY, Terance (1884- )
Resident organist at the Regent Cinema, Brighton, playing the Mighty Wurlitzer Theatre organ imported from the USA. Between 1930 and 1934 he made a number of recordings for Columbia at the Regent. Born in Leeds, he lived in Brighton in the mid 1920s but moved to Henfield.
|• 32 Devonshire Place|
|CATHCART, General Sir George (1794-1854)
English soldier. aide-de-camp to the Duke of Wellington at the battles of Waterloo and Quatre Bras in 1815. He was appointed colonial governor of the British Cape Colony, South Africa, where he granted the first constitution and defeated the Basutos, ending the 8th Cape Frontier war. He died at the battle of Inkerman during the Crimean war.
|• 2 Lewes Crescent [residence]|
Brewer, partner in the firm of Vallance & Catt in West Street. He died at Newhaven as a result of injuriers and shock when nearly thrown from his gig on the clifs at Kemp Town.
|CAVENDISH, William George Spencer KG (1790-1858), 6th Duke of Devonshire
Landowner and Whig politician. Inherited 200,000 acres of land when he succeeded to the dukedom at the age of 21. Close friend of the Prince Regent and a leading courtier at his coronation as George IV. As president of the Royal Horticultural Society from 1838 to 1858, he established the Royal Botanic Gardens at Kew.
|• 13 Chichester Terrace/1 Lewes Crescent|
|CHANNON, John Henry Whitlock (Jack) (1891-1935)
Local cinema exhibitor with the Sussex Picturedrome Company, which acquired the Duke oF York's Cinema, Brighton in 1918 and the Pavilion Cinema, Portslade around the same time. Born in Woolwich, the son of a vet.
|• 135 Preston Road [childhood home]
• Dundalk, Stanford Avenue [residence 1911]
|CHART, John (Jack) (c1877-1915)
This sergeant-major briefly turned actor directed four films for James Williamson in 1908, in all of which he also appeared. According to Williamson's son Alan, Chart was a PE instructor at an army reserve post near Brighton. (Could that be Preston Barracks?) In his book The Romance of the Movies (London: Heinemann, 1937), Leslie Wood proposes that Chart was a minor heartthrob and could have been the first actor to be of greater interest to the audience than the films he was in; Alan Williamson said he was popular with audiences. Penny postcard portraits of Chart were sold at shows of his films—an unusual, even unprece dented promotional move. it appears that after his brief film career he ran the Sea Serpent PH in Gloucester Road, Brighton.
|• 83 Gloucester Road [residence, business]|
Vestry Clerk of Brighton 1830-1892 and father of architect George Somers Clarke. His bust is in Brighton Town Hall.
|• 27 Oriental Place
• 57 Regency Square
|CLEMENTS Sir John (Selby) (1910-1988)
Best known as a stage actor and as the second artistic director of the Chichester Festival Theatre, succeeding his friend and neighbour Laurence Olivier, he made a number of films and television appearances between 1935 and 1982, including South Riding (1938), The Four Feathers (1939), Oh! What a Lovely War (1969) and Gandhi (1982). He had previously had more minor roles in Alexander Korda's Things to Come and Rembrandt (both 1936).
|• 7 Royal Crescent [residence]|
|CLIFTON, Lieut-General Sir Arthur Benjamin GCB KCH KSA KSW (1771-1869)
Decorated for his part in the Battle of Waterloo in 1815, when he commanded the Second Union Cavalry Brigade, he succeeded Prince Albert as Colonel of the 11th (Prince Albert's Own) Regiment of (Light) Dragoons (Hussars) in 1842. He lived on to be the oldest knight in the country by the age of 97. He died, unmarried, at his home in Old Steine, where he had lived for at least 30 years.
|• 56 Old Steine [residence]|
See Alfred Holmes
|COBB, Alderman George, Jr (1787-1877)
Attorney, who inherited a half-share in the Theatre Royal from his uncle, Hewitt Cobb, in 1822 and bought the other half share for £1,650 in 1842. He was a friend of J M W Turner and may have drawn up the painter's will.
|• 1 Hampton Terrace [residence]
• Theatre Royal, New Road
|COBBOLD, Charles H (1878-1953)
A Brighton-born son of a wine merchant. A music hall artiste, describing himself as a physical culturist and gymnastic instructor, who appeared in two films made by James Williamson: No Bathing Allowed (1903) and The Acrobatic Tramps (1902), the latter apparently anticipating Charlie Chaplin by more than a decade, although tramp characters were not unfamiliar in films of the time. John Cobbold, his brother, also a gymnastics instructor, appeared with him in The Acrobatic Tramps.
|• 43 Western Road Hove [father's business, home in infancy]
• 4 Stirling Terrace (<1891-c1900) [family home]
• 54 Stirling Place [family home becoming own residence c1901-c1931]
• 63 Wilbury Road [residence]
• 45 Norton Road [death]
|COCHRAN, Sir Charles Blake (CB) (1872-1951)
Theatrical impresario and pioneer of the intimate revue
|• 15 Prestonville Road* [birthplace]|
|CODRINGTON, Admiral Sir Edward GCMG GCB RN (1770-1851)
Joined the Royal Navy in 1883. RIsing steady, he was commissioning commander in 1805 of HMS Orion, in which he fought at the Battle of Trafalgar. Appointed naval commander-in-chief in the Mediterranean from 1826, he triggered (and won) the Battle of Navarino when he sailed into the bay there. This secured Greek independence from Turkey. MP for Devonport 1832-1839. Commander-in-chief Portsmouth 1839-1842. His two surviving sons had distinguished naval careers. The family retained ownership of properties in Western Road until 1899.
|• Codrington Mansions, 140 Western Road*
• Codrington Place
• Codrington House, Hampton Place
|COHEN, Joseph (c1871-c1951)
Born in Sokal, Austria, son of a tailor who came to England and settled in Carlton Hill. In his early married days, before setting up on his own account, he had lived in Grand Parade. He took over the Hove Cinematograph Theatre (later the Tivoli, then the Embassy) in partnership with John Harris in 1916, was described in the 1911 census as a financier (with the enumerator's pencilled annotation: 'moneylender').
|• 7 Carlton Hill [childhood residence]
• 20 Grand Parade [residence 1911]
• 3 Sillwood Street [residence 1916]
|COHEN, Levy Emmanuel
Proprietor and editor of the Brighton Guardian who, in 1851 lived at 39 Clarence Place.
|• 39 Clarence Place|
|COLIN, Jean (1905-1989)
A Brighton-born actress, she appeared on stage in musical comedy, operetta and pantomime. She made only 16 films in a screen career that began in 1925 and lasted until 1953. Her only television appearance was in The Shop at Sly Corner, six weeks after the BBC television service had resumed in 1946, although she was replaced by Muriel Pavlov in the following year's film version.
|COLLINGS, Arthur Albert (Esmé) (1859-1936)
Photographer and pioneer film-maker, the first local person to move into cinematography, although he abandoned it within a year. Nonetheless, he is counted as one of the Hove Pioneers and sometimes credited with the world's first 'blue movie'. He made what is almost certainly the first film of a named performer, Auguste van Biene. As a photographer he had been in partnership with William Friese Greene in 1887-1888.
|• 13 Alexandra Villas
• 120 Western Road, Hove
• 59 Dyke Road
• 89 King's Road
• 143 Ditchling Road
|COMBRIDGE, John Theodore (1897-1986)
Mathematician and educational administrator. Son of a retired butcher, educated at Brighton College.
|• 5 Leopold Road [birthplace, childhod residence]|
|CONSTABLE, John (1776-1837)
Artist. Visited Brighton on a number of occasions and painted scenes of the Beach and the fishing fleet, the Chain Pier, the downs and the area around his lodgings.
|• 9 Sillwood Road* [residence 1824,1828]|
See 1st Baron Lyndhurst.
|• Lyndhurst Road|
|CORNFORD, Ernest James (Ernie) (1881-1943)
Born and died in Brighton, he made only two known films, both directed by David Aylott for Williamson Kinematograph Company in 1909 with Cornford as an actor, although in the 1911 census he gave his occupation as cinematographer.
|• 44 New Dorset Street [home in infancy to 1888]
• 9 Model Dwellings, Jew Street [childhood home]
• 27 Shanklin Road
|COWLEY, Harry (1890-1971)
A Brighton chimney sweep and social activist and campaigner.
|• Lincoln Street
• Cowley Drive
|CROWHURST, Robert (1859-1943)
Tailor. In 1928 he built Crowhurst Hall in memory of his first wife Charlotte Elizabeth, who died in a nursing home at 31 Brunswick Road in May 1927. He re-married in 1931.
|• Crowhurst Hall, Knoyle Road
• 57 Beaconsfield Villas [residence 1915-1943]
|CROWN, Jacob (later James) Leslie (c1874-??)
An American who became an early cinema exhibitor in Brighton. He appears to have arrived recently from Vienna when he opened the Coronation Cinema in North Road in 1911. At that time he was described as having 'private means'. In 1914 he took over the Palladium Cinema and sold the Coronation to George Bloch. He made regular Atlantic crossings during and after the First World War. After selling the Palladium to Blue Halls in 1924 he returned to the United States and in due course settled in Beverly Hills, California , where he had a vocal studio and gave his profession as teacher.
|• 29 Denmark Villas [residence 1911]
• 60 The Drive [residence c1923-24]
Landowner, inherited the Withdean estate.
|• Eldred Avenue|
|CUBITT, Lewis (1799-1883)
||• 5 Lewes Crescent [residence]|
|CUBITT, Thomas (1788-1855)
Master builder, responsible for much of Kemp Town, Osborne House on the Idle of Wight and the east frony of Buckingham Palace for Queen Victoria, who called him 'our Mr Cubitt'.
|• 13 Lewes Crescent [residence 1846-1855]|
|CUTTS, (John Henry) Graham (1885-1958)
Film director, born in Brighton but grew up in Eastbourne and attended St John's College at Hurstpierpoint. Having trained as a marine engineer, he started his film career as an exhibitor by 1909, moving into film-making as a direc tor by 1922 in partnership with Herbert Wilcox. He was involved with Michael Balcon in founding Gainsborough Pictures in 1924, with the aim of making high-quality films for international audiences. However, he did not stay long at Gainsborough, despite his reputation as a highly regarded visual artist, although he continued to make popular films until the outbreak of war. in 1940 he joined World Wide Pictures where he made documentaries.
Page updated 9 March 2017