|Names beginning with
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
italic: demolished | *listed
|CARDEN, Alfred (1850-1932)
Architect and surveyor's assistant (1881), architect and surveyor at 15 Ship Street (1890), 75-76 North Street (1911-12), 205 Western Road (1915). Born in Brighton, living at 65 Gloucester Road (1851-91), 2 Hartington Villas (1899), 44 Southdown Avenue (1911).
|CAREW, John Edward (c1785-1868)
Irish sculptor, whose principal patron was George Wyndham, 3rd Earl of Egrement moved his studio to Brighton in 1831. Noted for sculptures at Petworth House, the bronze relief of the death of Nelson for Nelson's Column.
|• St John the Baptist Church, Bristol Road* (Baptism of Christ, 1835, and memorial to Rev Edward Cullen, 1850)
• 9 Bloomsbury Place (residence 1832-34)
|Caroe & Partners
Architects. Founded by Alban Douglas Rendell Caroe and Aubyn Peart Robinson. Caroe's son Martin Caroe (1933-1999) continued the firm after this father's death in 1991).
|• Chapel Royal, North Street (repairs, 1992)|
|CARPENTER, Richard Cromwell (1812-1855)
||• St Paul's Church, West Street (1846-48)
• All Saints Church, Compton Avenue (1853, demolished 1957)
• Church of St Nicholas of Myra, Church Street (restoration 1853-54)
|CARPENTER, Richard Herbert (1841-1893)
Son of R C Carpenter. Partnership with Benjamin Ingelow from 1872.
|• St Paul's Church, West Street* (extended 1876)
• Church of the Holy Resurrection, Russell Street (1876, closed 1908, demolished 1968)
As CARPENTER & INGELOW
• St Leonard's Church, New Church Road*
|CATHCART, S B
Architect. He later became Deputy Borough Architect.
|• 8 Highview Avenue North (1934)|
|CAWTHORN, Frank Thomas
Architect and surveyor at 170 North Street (1911-18). Lived at 57 Freshfield Road (1899). Partner in Scott and Cawthorn.
|• Church of the Annunciation of Our Lady, Washington Street
• St Agnes' Church, Newtown Road [1903, attrib. but unlikely. See A G Humphrey]
• Church of St John, Carlton Hill (restoration, 1919)
> See also Scott & Cawthorn
Architects. Camillin Denny Morton Scarr.
|• New England House, New England Road (reconfiguration)
• St Stephen's Hall, Montpelier Place* (restoration/conversion)
|CHAMBERS, Paul Ball
Architect at 15 Ship Street (1890).
|CHANTREY, Sir Francis Leggatt RA (1781-1841)
Sculptor of portrait busts and statues. Knighted in 1835. He left the bulk of his estate to the trustees of the Royal Academy; the Chantrey Bequest was the main source of funds for acqusiitions by the Tate Gallery until the 1920s.
|• Statue of George IV, Church Street (1822)|
Architect and surveyor at 3 Abbey Road (1899).
|CHAPPELL, John Thomas (1838-)
Builder and contractor. Born in Harrow, Middlesex, son of a bricklayer. Became a bricklayer, living in High Street, Steyning (1861). Builder employing about 600 men (1881). Lived at 9 St Michael's Place (1871-80), 25 First Avenue (1881-83); moved to London probably c1884. By 1901 he was a brick and tile manufacturer in Fareham, Hampshire. Retired by 1911.
|• 1 Grand Avenue* (1871-74, now King's House)
• King's Gardens, Kingsway* (c1890)
|CHEESMAN (-CHILDRENS), George Snr (1789-1866)
Builder at Kensington Cottage, 34 Kensington Street (1841-61). Master builder employing 190 men and boys (1861). Known as George Cheesman, Childrens being his grandmother's maiden name, incorporated in his father's surname. Also described as architect and surveyor. Father of George Cheesman and Thomas Cheesman (1823-), also a builder.
|• Christ Church, Montpelier Road (1837, fire 1978)
• Grand Parade Chapel, Morley Street (1835, demolished 1938)
• St Paul's Church, West Street
• Sisters of Mercy Convent, Bristol Road (1873)
|CHEESMAN, George Jr (1814-1882)
Architect, surveyor, builder. Lived at St Florence, Pembrokeshire at the time of his death.
|Cheesman & Freeman
Brighton building firm. Successor to Cheesman and Son.
|Cheesman & Son
Brighton building firm, partnership of the George Cheesmans Snr and Jr, which appears to have been dissolved c1855. See also Samuel Denman.
|• Church of St John the Evangelist, Carlton Hill (1840)|
|Christian & Cowell
Architects at 36 Duke Street (1899).
|CLARKE, George Somers (1841-1926)
Son of Brighton vestry clerk Somers Clarke. His family home was at 27 Oriental Place.
|• St Peter's Church, Holmes Avenue
• St Peter's Church, St Peter's Place* (extension 1907)
• Church of St Martin and St Wilfrid, Lewes Road
• 11 Dyke Road (former Swan Downer School) (1869)
• St Patrick's Church, Cambridge Road (1870, and with J T Micklethwaite, 1888)
• All Saints Church, Church Hill, Patcham (1875) • Church of St Nicholas of Myra, Church Street (1876, 1886)
WITH J T MICKLETHWAITE
• Holy Trinity Chapel, Ship Street (remodelling, 1885-87)
St Patrick's Church, Cambridge Road (restoration, 1888)
|CLAYTON, Charles Edward (1853-1923)
Brighton-born son of Hollis Clayton, house agent and owner. Grew up at 14 Chatham Place and 1 Powis Grove. Founding partner in Clayton & Black. Living at 47 Shaftesbury Road in 1881 and 20 Highcroft Villas in 1891; moved to Edburton by 1901. Architect to the Theatre Royal 1894-1920.
|CLAYTON, Charles L (1883-19)
Elder son of Charles E Clayton. Became partner in Clayton & Black.
|CLAYTON, John Richard (1827-1913)
Designer, partner in Clayton & Bell. Trained as an architect under G G Scott, worked for him as a draughtsman before becoming an artist and designer. Designed the mosaics on the Albert Memorial.
|• Church of the Annunciation of Our Lady, Washington Street (glass, 1864)|
|Clayton & Bell
Designers, notably of stained glass, Partnership of J R Clayton and Alfred Bell, formed in 1857. Trained some of the leading glass designers of the period, including John Burlison, T J Grylls and C E Kempe and at one time employed 300 men. Led by Bell famil descendants, the firm survived until 1993.
|• St Patrick's Church, Cambridge Road (wall paintings)
• St Barnabas' Church, Byron Street* (glass)
• Christ Church, Montpelier Road (glass)
• St Mark's Church, Eastern Road (glass)
• St Michael and All Angels, Victoria Road (glass)
• St Leonard's Church, New Church Road (glass)
• St Patrick's Church, Cambridge Road (glass)
• St Margaret's Church, The Green, Rottingdean* (glass)
|Clayton & Black
Brighton firm of architects and surveyors, founded 1876 by Charles E Clayton and Ernest Black. Later partners included their respective sons, Charles L Clayton and Kenneth R Black. The practice moved from premises at 152 North Street in 1904 to 10 Prince Albert Street.
|• Blenheim House, 56 Old Steine (remodelling, 1875)
• Gwydyr Mansions, Holland Road (1890)
• French Convalescent Home, De Courcel Road (1895-98)
• Royal Insurance Company, 163 North Street
• Theatre Royal, New Road (reconstruction, 1894)
• five houses in Agnes Street (1903)
• four houses in Coronation Street (1903)
• 8 houses, Seville Street (1904)
• Church of St Thomas the Apostle, Davigdor Road (1909, now St Mary and St Abraam Coptic Orthodox Church)
• council houses at 23-30 High Street, Kemp Town (1910)
• Duke of York's Picture House, Preston Circus (1910)
• First Church of Christ Scientist, 97 Montpelier Road (extension and new facade, 1921)
• Imperial Arcade (1923-24)
• King and Queen, 14-16 Marlborough Place (remodelled 1931-32)
• Norfolk Arms, 52 Grand Parade
• Sussex Grill, Ship Street
• SS Brighton, West Street
• Great Globe PH, Edward Street
|Clayton, Black & Daviel
Brighton firm of architects formed in the 1950s when J R F Daviel joined the firm.
|> See also J R F Daviel|
|CLIFFORD, W B
Architect and surveyor at 23 Russell Place (1824).
|COADE, Eleanor (1733-1821)
Developed a superior form of artificial stone after taking over the business of Daniel Pincot in Lambeth. Lithodipyra (meaning twice-fired stone), commonly called Coade stone, received a royal warrant from George III and the Prince Regent.
|• Royal Pavilion, Old Steine (statuary, mouldings)
• St Nicholas' Church, Church Street (memorial)
• Chapel Royal, North Street (royal coat of arms)
|COATES, Wells Wintemute (1895-1958)
Architect, designer and inventor, born to Canadian methodist missionaries in Tokyo, he came to England soon after graduating at the University of British Columbia, having served as a gunner and then pilot in the Royal Air Force during the Great War. H established his own practice in 1928. A follower of Le Corbusier, his first important Modernist design was for the Isokon Building in Hampstead (1934), followed by Embassy Court (1935); he designed only one more apartment block. After war service, again in the RAF, he designed the Telekinema for the Festival of Britain, which became the National Film Theatre from 1952 until its relocation in 1957. He progressively returned to Canada and died in Vancouver, for which he designed a monorail rapid transit system. Some of his archive is at the University of East Anglia.
|• Embassy Court, King's Road (1934-35)|
|COLBRON, Harry Stiles (1791-1856)
Surveyor to the Town Commissioners, address at Upper Rock Gardens (1834), at 28/21 Devonshire Place (1839-1848). Proprietor of 1-5 Hanover Terrace (Poll Book 1842).
|COLBRON, Joseph Parkin (1830-1913)
Surveyor. Born in Brighton, elder son of Harry S Colborn. Living at 11 Osborne (1861), Surveyor for West Hove Improvement Commissioners at 2-3 Osborne Street, Cliftonville (1868-78), 38 Osborne Villas (1906-1913). Associate of the Institute of Civil Engineers 1867.
|COLCUTT, Thomas Edward (1840-1924)
Architect. Joined the office of Brighton Borough Surveyor Philip Causton Lockwood in 1867, where he worked on the final stages of the original conversion of the Royal Stables into The Dome concert hall and Corn Exchange. His main work was away from Brighton. FRIBA.
|• The Dome, Church Street* (1867)|
|COLES, Frank Alleyn (1866-1926)
Architect. ARIBA 1892.
|• Church of St John the Baptist, Church Road (additions, 1906-07))|
|COLES, George (1884-1963)
Architect, principally of cinemas (odeon) and department stores (British Home Stores) in the English Moderne (art deco) style. Designed the Rothbury Cinema among nearly 90 cinemas. He lived at Buck's Head, near Lower Beeding.
|• Rothbury Cinema, Franklin Road (1934)|
|• St Peter's Church, St Peter's Place* (glass)
• Christ Church, Montpelier Road (glass)
|COOPER, Sir John Ninian (1864-1960)
Architect and designer. Spent a year with C E Kempe before becoming a pupil of G F Bodley.
|• Church of St Thomas the Apostle, Davigdor Road (pulpit, glass)
• St Mary Magdalene, Coldean Lane (reredos, part brought from St Anne's Church Eastbourne)
• Church of St Thomas the Apostle, Davigdor Road (glass, 1909, now St Mary and St Abraam Coptic Orthodox Church)
|COOPER, Thomas (1792-1854)
Builder and architect, born in Marylebone, London, son of a Brighton builder. Moved to Brighton c1820, lived at 52 Gloucester Lane (1851).
|• Hanover Chapel, Church Street (attrib, 1825) [now part of Brighthelm, North Raod]
• Trinity Independent Presbyterian (Mr Faithfull's) Chapel, Church Street (1825)
• Bedford Hotel, King's Road (1829, destroyed by fire 1964)
• Brighton Town Hall, Bartholomews (1830-32)
• St Mark's Church, Eastern Road (1840, attrib)
|Cooper & Lynn
|• Royal Colonnade, New Road (1823; part remaining)|
|CORBET, MATTHEW Ridley (1850-1902)
|• St Nicholas' Church, Church Street (painted reredos)|
Stained and leaded glass craftsman, partner in Cox and Barnard.
|See Cox and Barnard.|
|COX, Thomas (-1873)
Ecclesiastical tailor and stained glass craftsman, partner in Cox and Barnard.
|• St Andrew's Church, Church Road (glass).|
|Cox & Barnard
Firm founded in 1919 by a Mr Loadsman in Blatchington Road, Hove but soon taken over after his death by former employees Oliver Cox and William Barnard, who moved the company to Old Shoreham Road. Leaded lights in doors and porches in housing of the inter-war years in the Nevill Road area are by the firm. The company has been at 56 Livingston Road, Hove since 1968.
|• St Mary's Catholic Church, Surrenden Road (glass)
• Metropole Hotel, King's Road (glass, post-war)
• Middle Street Synagogue (glass restoration)
• Hove Town Hall, Church Road (glass canopy, destroyed by fire 1966)
• St Nicholas' Church, Manor Hill, Portslade (glass, 1946)
• St Philip's Church, New Church Road, Aldrington (glass, 1955, 1960)
• St Andrew's Church, Colborne Avenue, Moulescoomb (glass, 1998)
• Church of the Sacred Heart, Norton Road* (glass, 2001)
|CRAWLEY, John A (-1881)
Architect. Partner of S J Hansom.
|• Church of the Sacred Heart, Norton Road* (1880)|
|CREANE, Robert C E (1845-)
Architect/civil engineer at 3 Rose Hill Terrace (1899-1901). Born in Co Kerry, Ireland. Living in Brighton at 9 Preston Street in 1881 as a saddler and harness maker employing one man and a boy. Moved to Erith, Kent as public house manager (1891). Back in Brighton by the end of the decade, variously described as an architect and civil engineer.
|CRESSWELL, Albert (1843-1910)
Surveyor and builder at 6 Church Road (1881), 59 Norton Road (1882-84). Born in Swanmore or Droxford, Hampshire. Lived at Lynton House, 25 Holland Road (1891), 47 Wilbury Avenue (1901). Brother of Henry Cresswell.
|• 16 The Drive (The Gables)* (1882)|
|CRESSWELL, Henry (1845-1929)
Builder, employing 30 men and three boys (1881), at 18 Blatchington Road (1881-91); tile, iron and marble dealer at 50 Cromwell Road (1911-13), Woodside, Lansdowne Road (1918). Born in Swanmore, Hampshire; brother of Albert Cresswell.
|• First Church of Christ Scientist, 97 Montpelier Road (extension and new facade, 1921)|
|CRIBB, Herbert Joseph (Joe) (1892-1967)
Carver and letter cutter. Born in Hammersmith, became first apprentice taken on by Eric Gill. Came with Gill to Ditchling after 1910, remained with the Guild of St Joseph and St Dominic after Gill's departure in 1924, responsible for all stonework until his death.
|• Allied Irish Banks, 20-22 Marlborough Place (reliefs)
• Church of the Good Shepherd, Dyke Road (inscription)
• St John's Church, Carlton Hill (carving)
• Church of the Ascension, Dene Vale, Westdene (communion table)
• 2-3 Pavilion Buildings (former Brighton & Hove Herald) (reliefs)
|CROMIE, Robert F
Architect. Specialist in cinema interiors.
|• Lido Cinema, Denmark Villas
• 157 Kingsway* (1934-35)
|CRUNDEN, John (c1741-1835)
Architect. Sussex-born but worked in London.
|• Castle Hotel ballroom (1766), converted to Royal Chapel, moved and adapted as St Stephen's Church, Montpelier Place in 1852 [now First Base Day Centre].|
|CUBITT, Thomas (1788-1855)
Architect and builder. Appenticed as a carpenter. Developed large housing estates, notably in Belgravia, Bloomsbury and Kemp Town. Lived at 13 Lewes Crescent at the time of his death. Left over £1m.
|• St George's Church, St George's Road*
• Belgrave Place* (1848)
• Chichester Terrace*
• 13 Lewes Crescent* [residence 1846-1855]
|CURTIS, Thomas Figgis (1845-1924)
Stained glass designer/maker, who took over the firm Ward & Hughes after the death of his wife's relative, Henry Hughes.
|See Curtis, Ward and Hughes|
|Curtis, Ward and Hughes
Stained glass makers, successor company to Ward & Hughes, led by T F Curtis, from 1883 until his death, when his daughter Ethel Kibblewhite (1873-1947) kept the firm going until 1930.
|• St Philip's Church, New Church Road [glass, 1894]
• Church of St John the Evangelist, Preston Road [glass, 1902]
• Church of the Good Shepherd, Dyke Road [glass, 1920-22]
Page updated 2 October 2016