Architects

 

The people who built Brighton and Hove: F

     
Names beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
Search the site
F   local work | italic: demolished | *listed
FABIAN, John
1799-1837
Master builder, born in Portsea, Hampshire. He was paid £48 13s 2d from the Brighton Commissioners' Watering Account for carpenters' work in first half 18331. He died in Hurstpierpoint and bequeathed his business at 5 Western Street (c1822-1837) to his nephew, John Fabian. Triumphal Arch erected in honour of the arrival of Her Majesty Queen Victoria in Brighton (4 October 1837)

1Brighton Herald 1833-10-26: 1e
FABIAN, John
1819-1878
Master builder, born in Portsea, Hampshire. Inherited the building business of his uncle, John Fabian, at 5 Western Street (1837-1848) and 20 Bedford Place (1848), 12 Western Street (builder and slate merchant, 1845), 6 Clarence Square (1850-1878). Employed 115 men in 1851, 128 men in 1861, retired by 1871 and was called 'Gentleman' in probate record. Left under £1,500. Away from Brighton he built St Wilfrid's Church, Haywards Heath (G F Bodley, 1863-1865) Brighton Savings Bank, 30 New Road (1850)
6,7 St Catherine's Terrace, Kingsway (1851)
Patcham National School, London Road (1853) [now Patcham House School]
Oddfellows Hall, 118 Queen's Road (1854)
St Margaret's Church, The Green, Rottingdean (restoration work, 1855-56)
• groyne (1858)
Warren Farm Industrial Schools, Warren Road (1859)
Wagner Almshouses, Lewes Road (1859)
Church of St Mary Magdalene, Bread Street (1862)
• 6 shops in Bedford Street (1862)
• lodge at Sylvan Villa, Upper Lewes Road (1862)
St Michael and All Angels, Victoria Road (1861-1862)
St Mary Magdalen Roman Catholic Church, Upper North Street (1863)
• tunnel from Hobden's Baths, Artillery Street to the beach (1865)
80,82,84,86 Ditchling Rise (1877)
104,106,108,110 Ditchling Rise (1878)
FABIAN, Samuel
1829-1905
Builder, born in Kingston, Hampshire, brother of John Fabian (the younger). Carpenter, lodging at 106 Western Road, Brighton (1851). At 5 Temple Street (1862-1882), 120 Ditchling Rise (1883-1884), employing 5 men (1881). In 1891-1893 he was living with his son James (1850-1926), also a carpenter, at 34 Waldegrave Road. • 1,3,13-31 (odd) Beaconsfield Villas (1882)
• 32,34,36,38 Rugby Road (1894)
• 6 houses in Highdown Road (1896)
• 4 semi-detached houses in Highdown Road, south side (1897)
• 6 semi-detached villas in Highdown Road, south side (1898)
• 3 houses in Highdown Road, south side (1899)
FARMER, William
1823-1879
Partner in Farmer & Brindley. See Farmer & Brindley
Farmer & Brindley Partnership of William Farmer and William Brindley that produced architectural sculpture, notably for G G Scott churches. St Anne's Church, Burlington Street (carving)
FARR, Arthur Richard
1829-1918
Architect and surveyor, born in Baldock, Hertfordshire, son of a carpenter, in which trade he began, becoming a builder employing eight men and four boys by 1861. Came to Brighton in the 1860s, lived at 4 Arundel Street, described as retired builder (1871) but as architect and surveyor by 1878. Notably active in Hove/Aldrington. At 152 North Street (1875-1881), 7 Station Road, Hove (1887-1901). • 4 houses in Goldstone Road (1876)
[25-37 (odd)?], 34,36 Clarendon Villas (1876)
Colonnade Hotel, 95 Queens's Road (1877)
53,54 Livingstone Road (1877)
42,44,46,48 Clarendon Villas (1877)
Moulders' Arms PH, North Road (1878)
47-49 Southover Street (1879)
32-42 (even) Queen's Park Road (1882)
24 Middle Street (rebuilding, 1883)
68, 70 Queen's Park Road (1884)
2 houses in Centurion Road (1887)
49-59 (odd) Westbourne Street (1887)
127 Albion Hill (shop & house, 1888)
9 Port Hall Street (with stable, coach house, 1888-1889) • 128-148 (even) Westbourne Street (1890)
79 Montgomery Street (1890)
• house in St Leonard's Road
75,77 Clarendon Villas Road [now Portland Road] (1890)
92-128 (even) Montgomery Street (1891)
33-39 (odd) Rutland Road (1891)
99-127 (odd) Wordsworth Street (1892)
79-119 (odd) Clarendon Villas Road [now Portland Road] (1892)
14,15 Boundary Road (1892)
• house/shop in Station Road (1899)
• 3 houses at corner of New Church Road/Station Road (1900)

PERSONAL
• 35 Buckingham Road [residence 1875-1881]
• 6 Leicester Villas [residence in retirement 1911]
FARROW, Frederick Richard
1856-1918
Architect and surveyor. Born in Marylebone, London. At 6 Evelyn Terrace (1899); back in London by 1901. FRIBA. No work identified so far
FAULKNER, A
Architect. 3 Grand Avenue
12 Grand Avenue
FAULKNER, Charles Joseph
1833-1892
Mathematician, fellow of University College, Oxford, where he became friends with William Morris, having been a school contemporary of Edward Burne-Jones. A founder shareholder in Morris, Marshall and Faulkner, which became Morris & Co, he was a radical socialist. St Michael and All Angels, Victoria Road (painted ceiling)
FELCE, David
Architect; member of the Stanley Roth, Tetley & Felce partnership from 1948 to 1960 at 60 West Street, when the name was changed to Felce & Guy. The practice moved to 73 Holland Road by 1973. 8 Highview Avenue (addition, 1968)

PERSONAL
27 Withdean Road [residence 1964]
FELSBUSCH, Hans Nathan
1898-1998
Jewish-born artist who came to Britain in 1935 when his works were declared degenerate by the Nazis. Converted to Christianity and, supported initially by the Bishop of Chichester, was commissioned to make church paintings alongside more commercial work. St Wilfrid's Church, Elm Grove (painting)
FERGUSON, George
Developer of the Ladies Mile estate. Ladies Mile estate.
FERREY, Benjamin
1810-1880
Architect. Pupil of Augustus Charles Pugin. Own practice from 1834, planning of the new town of Bournemouth was among early work. St Anne's Church, Burlington Street (1862)
Field, W A & B Builders at 20 Preston Street and 20 Church Road (1885). French Protestant Church, Queensbury Mews (1887) [now residence]
Field & Nash Architectural practice at 164 Church Road (1912). No work identified so far
FIELDER, John
1835-1922
Master builder, based in Chichester (1871), employing 55 men (1881). Listed as photographer (1891-1901). Retired builder (1911). Bristol Road Methodist Church, Montague Place (1873)
FITCHEW, George Frederick
1856-1925
Architect and surveyor at 75-76 North Street (1899). Probably joined the firm of George Burstow and Sons at 16 Gloucester Place (1901); architect and surveyor's assistant (1911). Died in Bournemouth. WORK
41 Robertson Road (1896)
48 Stanford Avenue (stables, 1896)
50,52, 68,70 Stanford Avenue (1897)
167,169 Ditchling Road (1897)
75,77 Beaconsfield Villas (1898)
47,49 Southdown Avenue (1899)
16-17 Meeting House Lane (shop, 1899)
185-191 (odd) Ditchling Road (1899)
62 Beaconsfield Villas (stables, 1899)
• house in Totland Road (1909)
• 2 houses in Queen's Park Rise (1912)

PERSONAL
1 (old numbering) Dyke Road [childhood home]
84 Havelock Road [residence 1889-1891]
66 Lowther Road [residence 1911]
Fitzroy Robinson Miller Bourne & Partners Architects. 1 Grand Avenue* (remodelling 1981)
FORD, Hugh Hubbard
1906-1980
Architect, pupil of Sir Albert Richardson. Own practice in Eastbourne, where he was responsible for much post-war planning and construction, with offices in London and Hove. He died in Brighton. First men's hall of residence, University of Sussex (1963-64)
FORSYTH, James
1827-1910
Leading carver and sculptor of the later Victorian period. St Saviour's Church, Ditchling Road (reredos, originally for Chichester Cathedral)
FRAMPTON, Sir George (James)
1860-1928
Sculptor, trained at the City and Guilds of London Art School and the Royal Academy Schools, then in the Paris studio of Antonin Mercie. His best known works are the lions at the British Museum, the statue of Edith Cavell outside the National Portrait Gallery and Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens (and six other castings elsewhere). • Hove War Memorial, Grand Avenue [sculpture]
     
Previous | Next

A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

 

Page updated 13 October 2019