|Names beginning with
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
italic: demolished | *listed
|GARRETT, Burt Dale (1866-1947)
Builder. Managing director of building company W & J Garrett Ltd (1911). Born in Brighton, son of Thomas Garrett Jr; living at 15 Clarence Square (1911), 9 Woodruff Avenue (-1947). Left £21,206 18s 6d. His son Walter Joseph became a builder and Edwin Joseph a surveyor.
|GARRETT, Thomas Snr (1838-1914)
Builder at 35 Grenville Place (1870-1885). Manager of building company W & J Garrett Ltd (1911). Born in Brighton, son of William Burt Garrett living at 12 Nelson Street (1841-51). Retired by 1901, living at 2 Clarence Square (1901-14). His son Thomas became an architect, his sons Samuel and Burt Dale became builders. He died in a 'surgical home' at 19 Lansdowne Place and left £32,613 13s 6d.
|GARRETT, Thomas Jr (1864-1942)
Eldest son of Thomas Garrett, born in Brighton, living at 35 Grenville Place (1871-1881). Architect's pupil (1881). Architect and surveyor at 30 Ship Street (1890-1899), 34 Ship Street (1911-15); living at 20 Hanover Crescent (1899-91), 9 Melville Road (1901), and 14 Windlesham Road (1911-15)—one of the houses he designed— and 54 Brunswick Square (-1942). Later also owned 'Rite Spot' Small Dole, where he died; left £57,765 17s 2d.
|GARRETT, William Jr (1830-1907)
Carpenter (1851), builder. Employed 25 men (1871), 50 men (1881). Son of William Burt Garrett. Lived at 25 Margaret Street (1867-81), 20 Dorset Gardens (1881-1901). Retired by 1901. Father of William Garrett III.
|GARRETT, William III (1863-1950)
Builder, son of William Garrett Jr. Assisted his father in the business (1891). Lived at 28 Preston Street (1891), 18 Addison Road (1901-02), 17 Ship Street (1910-28).
|GARRETT, William Burt (Snr) (1798-1879)
Carpenter, builder. Living at 12 Nelson Street (1841-51), 1 Margaret Street (-1879). Described as 'gentleman' in probate record; left under £1,500.
|Garrett, W & J
Building firm. [Still to be determined which members of the family were involved. THe list of properties are nearly all listed as 'Garrett'.
|• Throat and Ear Hospital Outpatients Department, Church Street (1924)
• Golden Cross Hotel, 175 Western Road (1926)
• Johnson Bros Store, 179-180 Western Road (1929)
• British Home Stores, 167-174 Western Road (1930-31) [now Primark]
• Mark & Spencer Store, 195-199 Western Road (1931-32)
|GERMAN, Hector (1852-1933)
Architect and surveyor at 1 Duke Street (1888-95). Born in Bow, London; son of a property owner. Lived at 12 St Catherine's Terrace (1871-81). Died at Bembridge, IoW, leaving £18,569 10s.
|GIBBINS, John George (1843-1932)
Local architect, trained by W G Habershon and Alfred Robert Pite, worked in the office of William Burges. Partnership with H N Goulty from 1867 with the practice known as Goulty and Gibbins until 1896, even though Goulty died in 1869. FRIBA. Practice at Molesworth House, 3 Palace Place 1875-1912. FRIBA 1888. Surveyor to the Brighton County Borough Mental Hospital for 25 years from 1903. Joined in the practice by his son Arthur E Gibbins from c1903. Lived at 3 Vernon Terrace, Brighton from 1897-1903, later at 43 Brunswick Road (1915). Died at Hurstpierpoint and was buried in Ditchling.
|• Christ Church Independent Chapel, New England Road (1874) [later Elim Free Church]
• Congregational Church, Clermont Terrace (1877) [now Clermont United Reformed Church]
• St Luke's Prestonville, Old Shoreham Road (restored, 1882)
• French Protestant Church, Queensbury Mews (1887) [now residence]
• All Saints Church, Church Hill, Patcham (alterations, attributed)
|GIBBS, Charles Alexander (1825-1877)
Stained glass maker, based in Bloomsbury, London.
|• St Patrick's Church, Cambridge Road (glass, c1858; see W Butterfield)|
|• Patcham Methodist Church, Ladies Mile Road [conversion, 1968]|
Stained glass designer with Cox and Barnard.
|• St Philip's Church, New Church Road, Aldrington (glass, 1955)|
|GILBERT, J S
|• Our Lady of Lourdes Convent Chapel, Preston Road (1903, demolished 1972)|
Designer, sculptor, typographer.
|GILLAM, William Charles Frederick (1867-1962)
Architect at 162a North Street (1899). Son of a local fish merchant, lived at 3 Artillery Street (1871), 9 Upper North Street (1881), 14 Chatham Place (1891). Emigrated to Nroth America in 1910, first to Vancouver, British Columbia to continue practising as an architect with expertise in school building, leaving there in 1921 for Burlingame, California, where he became an artist. His work is in the Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco.
|GINNETT, Louis John (1875-1946)
Designer and painter. Lived at Ditchling and taught at Brighton School of Art for many years. Tutor and later close colleague of Charles Knight.
|• Brighton and Hove Grammar School, Dyke Road (murals)
• St Patrick's Church, Cambridge Road (design for stations of the cross)
|GLASBY, William (1863-1941)
Stained glass designer and painter. Worked for Morris & Co; own business from c1919 in London but moved to Horsham in 1938.
|• St Matthias' Church, Ditchling Road (glass)|
|Godman & Kay
Partnership of Charles Richard Bayly Godman (1879-1946) and Claude John Kay (1878-1969). The firm is still practising in Cowfold but in the last years of the dfoudners and after their deaths work was carried out by others.
|• St Luke's Prestonville, Old Shoreham Road (restored by N F Gossage, 1968-69)|
|GOODHART-RENDEL, Harry Stuart (1887-1959)
St Wilfrid's is one of his most noted works. President of the Royal Institute of British Architects 1937-1939.
|• St Wilfrid's, Elm Grove 1933-34)|
|GOSSAGE, Neil Frederick (1908-1972)
Architect, member of the firm of Godman and Kay.
|See Godman and Kay|
|GOTCH, John Alfred (1852-1942)
Private practice in Kettering; partnership with Charles Saunders as Gotch & Saunders (1887); later with Henry Ralph Surridge as Gotch, Saunders & Surridge; all retired 1938 but practice still exists. FRIBA 1886. President Architectural Association 1886-87, FRIBA, president RIBA 1923-25. Principal designer for Midland Bank. Author of Early Renaissance Architecture of England (1901).
|• HSBC Bank, 80 Western Road [? see also T B Whinney]|
|GOTCH, Laurence Murcell (1881-1972)
Architect. Nephew and pupil of J A Gotch.Founded L M Gotch and Partners in Brighton and London after the Second World War, the practice retaining that name after Gotch's retirement in 1955 until being renamed Wells-Thorpe and Partners c1972.
|Gotch, L M, & Partners
|• Church of the Resurrection,|
|GOULTY, Horatio Nelson (1830-1869)
Son of John Nelson Goulty. With Amon Henry Wilds, John Cordy Burrows and his father, he founded the Brighton Extra Mural Cemetery in 1850, where he is buried. His practice was at 5 Pavilion Buildings (1854-55), 12 Union Street (1859). He lived with his parents and family at 1-2 Sussex Square (1861), was borough councillor for Park ward, secretary of the Brighton School of Art and a Knight Templar. He died in Shoreham.
|• Norfolk Hotel, King's Road* (1864-65)
• Cliftonville Congregational Church, Blatchington Road (1867) [later Central United Reformed Church]
• Grand Concert Hall, West Street and Middle Street (1868) [later Sherry's Dance Hall, etc]
|Goulty & Gibbins
Partnership of H N Goulty and J G Gibbins from 1867, still known as Goulty and Gibbins until 1896, even though Goulty died in 1869. Practice at Molesworth House, Palace Place from 1875.
|• Turkish Baths, 59 West Street (1869, later Academy Cinema, demolished 1973)|
|GOVER, John Richard (1834-1907)
Architect and surveyor at 8 Union Street (1878). Born in Newington, London. Moved to Brighton from Ewelme, Oxfordshire in the 1870s. Lived at 6 College Road (1881). Moved to Croydon by 1901 and died there.
|GOWAR, Gerald E (1888?-1935?)
|• 150-156 Balfour Road|
|GRYLLS, Thomas John (1843-1891)
Glass designer. Trained at Clayton & Bell. Partner in Burlison & Grylls.
Page updated 11 May 2016