Architects

 

The people who built Brighton and Hove: W

     
Names beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
  Search the site
W   local work
italic: demolished | *listed
WAILES, William (1808-81)
Stained glass maker.
  St Andrew's Church, Church Road [glass]
WALTERS, F A
  St Joseph Catholic Church, Elm Grove
Ward & Hughes
Stained glass makers. Partnership of Thomas Ward and Henry Hughes formed in 1857 and continuing after Ward's death in 1870. After Hughes' death in 1883 the company became Curtis, Ward and Hughes.
  Church of St John the Baptist, Church Road [glass]
Holy Trinity Church, Blatchington Road [glass, 1862-64]
Church of St Barnabas, Byron Street* (glass, 1882)
WARR, George Walter (1874-1956) FSI
Architect. District surveyor and sanitary inspctor to Southwick Urban District Council and surveyor to Steyning East Rural District Council (c.1909-11). In architectural, surveying and engineering practice in Southwick and then at 22 Ship Street [taking over the offices of Wm Overton by 1929] with his son (George Walter de la Warr, b.1904) and R Hodgson as Geo Warr & Partners. Initiated in the Duke of Richmond masonic lodge 1910. Left £20,209 14s.
  • 7 Beaconsfield Road [home 1891]
1 Eldred Avenue (1920)
bungalow in Surrenden Crescent (1924)
10 Tongdean Lane (1927)
WARREN, Edward Prioleau (1856-1937)
Architect, born in Clifton, Bristol. Pupil of G F Bodley (whose biography he wrote) and T Garner. Own practice from 1885, hje was Master of the Art Workers Guild.
  Church of the Good Shepherd, Dyke Road (1920-22, 1927)
WARRINGTON, William
Stained glass designer. Worked for Pugin but they parted in strained circumstances. The company, taken over by his son, continued for over 70 years.
  St Andrew's Church, Church Road* [glass]
WATERHOUSE, Alfred (1830-1905)
Architect of the Gothic Revival, noted for large-scale public buildings, in particular the use of terracotta. Trained in Manchester. FRIBA 1861
  Hove Town Hall, Church Road
Metropole Hotel, King's Road
WEBB, H
Architect at 153 North Street (1899), 53 Prudential Buildings, 143-150 North Street (1912).
  • No work identified so far
WEIR, James
Architect.
  London Road Methodist Church, London Road (1895, 1910) [now the Emporium]
WELLS-THORPE, John OBE (b.1928)
Architect, born in Brighton, graduate of Brighton School of Art and Architecture. RIBA vice-president.
  Hove Town Hall, Church Road
Church of the Ascension, Hillcrest, Westdene
AS WELLS-THORPE & SUPPEL
Brighthelm Church and Community Centre, North Road
WESTLAKE, Nathaniel Hubert John (1833-1921)
Stained glass designer working the Gothic Revival tradition. His last work was above the south-west door of Church of the Sacred Heart.
  St John the Baptist Church, Bristol Road* (wall decorations, 1890-1921)
Church of the Sacred Heart, Norton Road
WHEELER, G
Architect and surveyor at 1 Church Road (1877-78).
  • No work identified so far
WHICHCORD, John, Jr (1823-1885)
Architect. Pupil of his architect father, John Whichcord Snr. President RIBA 1879-81.
  Grand Hotel, King's Road (1854)
Queen's (Markwell's) Hotel, 1 King's Road (1870)
WHINNEY, Thomas Bostock (1860-1926)
Architect, own practice from 1885 based in London. FRIBA 1901 (proposers included J A Gotch).
  HSBC Bank, 80 Western Road [attrib, see also J A Gotch]
WILDS, Amon (1762-1833)
Initially a carpenter and then builder in Lewes, forming a building firm with his son Amon Henry Wilds there. He lived and practised at 9 Richmond Terrace and is buried in St Nicholas' churchyard.
  See Wilds and Wilds.
WILDS, Amon Henry (1784-1857)
Son of Amon Wilds. Worked with his father from 1806 to 1823 and in partnership with Charles Busby as Wilds and Busby from then until an acrimonious split in 1825. Lived at 9 Western Terrace (1851) and then opposite in Gothic House in Western Road. With Rev J N Goulty, his architect son H N Goulty and John Cordy Burrows, he founded the Brighton Extra Mural Cemetery in 1850.
Partial list
3 Ditchling Road
Holy Trinity Church, Ship Street (1817)
Church of St Mary the Virgin, St James's Street
6 King's Road (c1925, now part of Queen's Hotel)
Gothic House, 95-96 Western Road
Hanover Crescent
Park Crescent
Royal Albion Hotel, Old Steine (1826)
Royal Newburgh Assembly Room, Cannon Place
Western Terrace
Bedford Square
Drinking fountain, Extramural Cemetery, Lewes Road
> See also Wilds and Busby
Wilds and Busby
Partnership of Amon Henry Wilds and Charles Busby from 1823 to 1825, although it is sometimes difficult to attribute work to either or both. They were brought together by Thomas Read Kemp to design Kemp Town. Although still partners when the Brunswick Town scheme began, Wilds pulled out at an early stage.
  Unitarian Chapel, New Road (1820)
Union Chapel, Union Street (1825)
1-2, 11-14 Crescent Place
5 Pavilion Parade
Marine Square
Wilds
Partnership of Amon Wilds and Amon Henry Wilds formed in 1806, which lasted until 1823.
  The Temple, Montpelier Road (1819, now Brighton & Hove High School)
WILLETT, William Snr (1837-1913)
Apprenticed in 1850 to a stonemason in his birth town, Colchester, and went into business as a monumental mason. An opportunity arose to take over a housing development in Hampstead, London from a bankrupt developer in 1868. From the mid 1870s he started development of the West Brighton estate in Hove and lived at 1 Eaton Gardens (1881). Favoured the Arts & Crafts idiom for his housing. Among the Willetts' in-house architects were H B Measures and J B Tansley. He lived in later years at 64 The Drive, where he died, having retired in 1903. He left £2,790 15s 1d. A Willett family memorial is in the churchyard of St Wulfran's Church, Ovingdean.
  Willett's Lane

51-53, 52-54, 55-60, 63, 65, 67, 69, 71, 73, 75, 79 The Drive
Eaton Gardens
William WillettWILLETT, William Jr (1856-1915)
Builder and developer, son of William Willett, developed the family firm's property development activities, diversifying after his father's retirement into up-market estate agency, brickmaking, welding and mining businesses. He was an ardent advocate of daylight saving time, which was introduced two years after his death. A Willett family memorial is in the churchyard of St Wulfran's Church, Ovingdean, although William is buried in Chislehurst. His great-great-grandson is Coldplay singer Chris Martin.
  See William Willett Sr
WILLIAMS, T R
Architect.
  Royal Spa Nursery School, Park Hill
WILLIAMS, William Frederick (1847-1908)
Architect and surveyor, born in Brighton, son of an attorney and solicitor at 14 Grafton Street. Practice at 17 Middle Street (1878-99). Lived in Carlton Terrace, Portslade (1881), lodging at 33 Westbourne Street (1891).Died in Steyning RD.
  • No work identified so far
WILLIAMSON, Fr Benedict (1867-)
Priest-architect, previously a solicitor's clerk. Born in London. Rector of St Gregory's, Earlsfield, London (1911).
  Our Lady Star of the Sea and St Denis, Church Road, Portslade (1912)
WILLS, John
Architect, based in Derby. Noted for nonconformist chapels throughout the country. Holland Road Baptists is regarded as one of his and the period's most important chapels.
  Holland Road Baptist Chapel and Schoolroom* (1887)
Hove Methodist Church, Portland Road* (1895)
WILSON, Henry (1864-1934)
Worked in the architectural practices of John Oldrid Scott and G F Sedding, completing many of the latter's works after Sedding's death. He was founding editor of the Architectural Review, taught at the Central School of Arts and Crafts and metalwork at the Royal College of Art. Member of the Art Workers' Guild (Master 1917). His work in St Bartholomew's is regarded as among his finest.
  St Bartholomew's Church, Ann Street
WIMBLE, John
Architect
  Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion Church, North Street (1870-71, demolished 1972)
WINTERBOURN, James
Builder.
  Queen's (Markwell's) Hotel, 1 King's Road (1870)
23 West Hill Street [residence]
WOOD, A C
Architect at 34 Ship Street (1912).
 
WOODMAN, James (1823-1897)
Born Guiting/Moreton, Gloucestershire. Architect and surveyor in Shanklin, Isle of Wight in 1851; moved to Brighton/Hove by 1855. Practice at 17 Prince Albert Street, Brighton (1864-1875), 2 New Road (1878); lived at the newly-built 26 [renumbered at 39 in 1881] Albany Villas (1856-1897).
  Holy Trinity Church, Blatchington Road (1862-64)
St Peter's Church, Preston (restoration 1872)
West Hove National School, George Street (1857)
WOODS, E Joseph FRIBA
Architect who worked on several Baptist chapels.
  Montpelier Place Baptist Church (1966).
WRIGHT, Richard
Architect with an address in Ditchling Road (1839).
  • No work identified so far
WYBORN, Thomas
Architect and surveyor at 14 King Street (1824).
  • No work identified so far
WYON, William RA
  Robertson monument, Extramural Cemetery, Lewes Road
     
Previous | Next

 

Page updated 15 April 2017