|Names beginning with
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
italic: demolished | *listed
|JACKSON, Frederick Hamilton (Frank) (1848-1923)
Designer, painter and teacher, founder of Chiswick School of Art, member of the Art Workers' Guild. The mosaic in St Bartholomew's is among his most noted works.
|• St Bartholomew's Church, Ann Street* (mosaics)|
|JACKSON, Sir Thomas Graham bt (1835-1924)
Educated at Brighton College and Oxford, pupil of Sir George Gilbert Scott. Own practice from 1863, member of the Art Workers Guild (master 1896). Consultant for St Augustine's 1894-1913. Created a baronet in 1913. There is a memorial tablet to him in Brighton College chapel.
|• Brighton College, Eastern Road (extensions 1883-87)
• St Augustine's Church, Stanford Avenue* (extension 1913)
|James & Brown
|• Union Chapel, Queen Square (1834-35)|
|James, William, & Co
Stained glass manufacturer based in north London, established before 1870.
|• Chapel Royal, North Street* (glass)|
|JAY, George Mathias
Architect and surveyor at 12 Connaught Terrace (1890), 45 Church Road (1899).
|Johns & Buckwell
Architects and surveyors, partnership of Johns and T H Buckwell at 33 New Road (1886-87). Buckwell has his own practice by 1888.
|• Fire station, 1A-2 Wyndham Street|
|JOHNSON, Philip Mainwaring (1865-1936)
Architect and writer on Sussex churches, leading light of the Sussex Archaeological Society. In practice from 1881, specialist in church restoration.
|• St Peter's Church, Preston* (restoration after 1906)|
|JONES, Francis Jude (1873-1937)
Son of Jude Jones, worked as a carpenter on the Stanmer estate, living with his parents in a lodge there.
|• Stanmer Church (doors)|
|JONES, Jude (1844-1914)
Son of Thomas Jones, a journeyman carpenter on the Stanmer estate, where he was born. Returned from working in Brighton to work at Stanmer by 1881, living in a lodge on the estate. He was a building/carpentry foreman by 1891 and estate foreman by 1911. His son Francis Jude Jones was also a carpenter on the estate.
|• Stanmer House
• Stanmer Church (fittings)
|JONES, Richard William Herbert (1900-1965)
Architect for Charles Nevill of key buildings in Saltdean.
|• Ocean Hotel, Saltdean* (1938)
• Saltdean Lido (1938)
• Curzon House, Chichester Road East
• Marine View, Marine Drive, Saltdean
• Teynham House, Chichester Road East
|Joseph & Smithers
|• 67-68 King's Road (former Daily Telegraph building, rebuilt)|
Page updated 15 November 2015