|Names beginning with
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
italic: demolished | *listed
|KAYE, James (1810-1870?)
Architect, surveyor, land and estate agent at 6 Lansdowne Square (1851-54), 37 Western Road, Hove (1858). Born in Bombay (Mumbai), son of an accountant in the Indian civil service. Agent for the Globe Fire and Life Assurance Company, National Alliance Accidental and Plate Glass Insurance Company and the Conservative Land Society.
|• St Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Portland Road (1915)|
|KEMPE, Charles Eamer (1837-1907)
Leading Victorian stained glass designer. Youngest son of Nathaniel Kemp and cousin of Thomas Read Kemp and maternal grandson of Sir John Eamer, Lord Mayor of London in 1801. Born at Ovingdean Hall. After considering priesthood in the Anglo-Catholic movement while at Oxford, he studied architecture in the practice of G F Bodley and founded his own studio in 1866. He is buried at St Wulfran's Church, Ovingdean
|• All Souls Church, Eastern Road (glass 1903, 1906)
• Church of St Alban, Coombe Road (altar>
• Church of St Nicholas of Myra, Dyke Road (glass)>
• St Augustine's Church, Stanford Avenue* (glass)
• St Luke's Church, Queen's Park Road* (glass)
• St Paul's Church, West Street* (glass)
• St Peter's Church, St Peter's Place* (glass)
• St Peter's Church, Holmes Avenue* (glass)
• Church of St Mary the Virgin and St Mary Mary Magdalene, Bread Street (1862)
• St Michael and All Angels, Victoria Road (lectern)
• St Philip's Church, New Church Road, Hove (glass)
• St Wulfran's Church, Ovingdean (rood, reredos, decoration)
|KENDALL, Henry Edward (1805-1885)
Pupil of his father, with whom he worked until establishing his own architectural practice. Both were founders of the future RIBA.
|• St Patrick's Church Cambridge Road (1858)|
|KENNINGTON, Eric Henri (1888-1960)
Monumental sculptor (noted for the effigy on T E Lawrence's tomb); war artist in both world wars.
|• St Helen's Church, Hangleton Way (tombstone)|
|KINDER, Claude (1897-1949)
Glass designer, member of the local firm of Barton, Kinder and Alderson. Trained with Cox and Barnard.
|• Church of the Good Shepherd, Dyke Road (glass)|
|KINGSTON(E), Richard (1777?-1846?)
Surveyor at 32 Gardner Street (1824-39).
|KNIGHT, Charles Ernest (1901-1990)
Painter and designer, born in Hove. Landscape artist, pupil of L J Ginnett and Walter Sickert, lived in Ditchling and taught at Brighton College of Art. Tutor to Princesses Elizabeth and Margaret. Designed stained glass and, probably with J L Denman, inn signs.
|• Church of the Good Shepherd, Dyke Road (glass, statue)>
• St Matthias' Church, Ditchling Road (glass)
• St Patrick's Church Cambridge Road (paintings)
|KNOWLES, Sir James Thomas KCVO (1831-1908)
Architect and writer, son of architect James Thomas Knowles (1806-1884). He designed many buildings in the Stanford estate. He founded the Metaphysical Societyin 1869, was editor of the Contemporary Review and founder of the journal Nineteenth Century in 1877. Knighted 1904. Lived at Queen Anne's Lodge, St James Park Road, Westminster and 3-4 Percival Terrace, Brighton and died at the latter address, leaving over £30,000.
|• 1 Grand Avenue* (1871-74, now King's House)
• Prince's Hotel, Kingsway
|KNOX, James Erskine (1841-1918)
Woodworker with workshops in London; employed by George Somers Clarke. Member of the Art Workers Guild.
|• Church of St Martin and St Wilfrid Church, Lewes Road (reredos and fittings, 1875)|
Page updated 20 January 2016