|Names beginning with
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
|Search the site
italic: demolished | *listed
|TANNER, Leslie (1880-1957)
Son of a railway passenger guard, born in Battersea, London but moved to Brighton in early life, childhood home at 12 Kingsbury Road, later at 92 Ditchling Rise. Articled to F W Cawthorn from 1894, remained as his assistant. Attended Brighton Muncipal School of Art 1895-1907. LRIBA 1912 (H M Pett and J L Denman among his proposers).
|TANSLEY, John Beamont
Articled to George Cheesman 1880-1883 and John George Gibbins 1883-1888. Clerk of Works at Hotel Metropole, Brighton 1888. Assistant to Harry Bell Measures, in-house architect for William Willett, 1889-1897.
|TAPPER, Sir Walter (John) (1861-1935)
Architect. Joined the practice of G F Bodley and T Garner, becoming office manager and chief assistant until setting up his own practice in the first of two partnerships. Surveyor to Westminster Abbey, York Minster and Lincoln Cathedral. President RIBA and Royal Academician.
• St Batholomew's Church, Ann Street
• St Helen's Church, Hangleton Way
• St Patrick Church, Cambridge Road [and font]
• Church of St Thomas the Apostle, Davigdor Road
|TASKER, F N
Architect at 12 Prince Albert Street (1890)
|TERNOUTH, John (1795-1849)
Sculptor, who worked closely with Sir Francis Chantrey. Noted for works in Buckingham Palace and on Nelson's Column.
|• St Andrew's Church, Waterloo Street|
|TETLEY, Patrick Ivor Delavel (1917-1990)
Architect working in Brighton c1955-1976 at 60 West Street in the partnership Stanley Roth, Tetley & Felce.
|• St Nicholas Church, Locks Hill [repairs from 1957]|
|THOMSETT, A C
|• Channel View Road, Woodingdean|
Brighton Borough Surveyor.
|TILTMAN, Stavers Hessell (1888-1968)
Articled to Alfred Hessell Tiltman 1904-07, then assistant to him. Head daughtsman to J Barns & Sons, Brighton 1909-12. Own practice in Haywards Heath from 1912 (except for war service) and in Brighton from 1927 with an office at 42 Middle Street. Architect and engineer to Rock Brewery 1919-1927, which became part of Portsmouth and Brighton United Breweries. Favoured green tiling for pub exteriors. FRIBA 1937 (J L Denman among his proposers). Designed the terminal building at Shoreham Airport.
|• Bevendean Hotel, Hillside (1936)
• Bricklayers Arms, Southover Street (alterations 1938)
• Clarges Hotel, 116 Marine Parade (alterations 1947).
• Crown and Sceptre PH, Sussex Street
• Downs Hotel, Warren Road Woodingdean (1938)
• Golden Cross PH, Western Road
• Hampden Arms, Hampden Road (alterations 1938)
• Heart and Hand PH, 76 North Street (alterations, 1934)
• Horse & Groom PH, Mount Street
• Lamb Inn, Church Street
• Noah's Ark PH, North Road
• Obed Arms, Albion Hill
• Pavilion PH, Castle Square
• Plough Inn, Vicarage Lane, Rottingdean
• Queen's Head, Steine Street
• Star Inn, Manchester Street (alterations, 1930)
• Sweetings Rest PH, King's Road
• Thatched House PH, Black Lion Street
• Duke of Wellington, Upper Gloucester Road
• Victoria Hotel, King's Road
• West Pier Refreshment Room
|TOWNSEND, Caroline Charlotte (1878-1944)
Stained glass designer. Daughter of an architect; studied at the Slade School of Art.
|• St Margaret's CHurch, The Green, Rottingdean [glass restoration]|
|TRAVERS, (Howard) Martin (Otho) (1886-1948)
Architect (though not registered), designer, member of the Art Workers Guild. Chief instructor in stained glass at the Royal College of Art from 1925.
|• St Cuthman's Church, Whitehawk Way (1939, bombed 1943)
• St Patrick's Church, Cambridge Road* [fittings, attributed]
• Church of the Annunciation, Washington Street* [reredos, etc]
• All Saints CHurch, The Drive* [glass]
|TRENT, Newbury Abbot (1885-1953)|
Sculptor. Cousin of W E Trent.
|• Edward VII Memorial (Peace Statue), King's Road|
|TRENT, William Edward (1874-1948)|
Chief architect after 1909 at Provincial Cinematograph Theatres (PCT) and from 1929 at Gaumont British Picture Coproration, which took over PCT. Cousin of N A Trent.
|• Academy Cinema, West Street (remodelling, 1938-39)|
|Trollope, George, & Sons
Builders, decorators and wood carvers, noted for cosntruction of parts of Belgravia and Mayfair. Mergers with Colls & Sons in 1903 created one of the country's largest building firms, which survived until 1996.
|• Church of St Martin and St Wilfrid, Lewes Road* [pulpit]|
Architect and surveyor at 12 Prince Albert Street (1871-78). Later in partnership with F N Tasker.
|Tuppen & Tasker
Architects and surveyors at 12 Prince Albert Street (1880-).
|TURNER, Harold (George) (1885-1961)
Ardingly-born civil engineer who became an architect. Grandson of a builder and timber merchant, in whose house he grew up with his mother. (His father was absent.) He started his career c1900 as a clerk in the Brighton Borough Engineer's department. During the First World War he joined the family firm of Box & Turner. He set up hos own architectural practice in Haywards Heath in 1920, where he lived until his death. He came to specialise in the Sussex farmhouse vernacular with Arts & Crafts influences, although he also worked in Tudorbethan (Commercial Square, Haywards Heath) and Deco (Sydney Road, Haywards Heath) styles. He designed houses across Sussex, including a number in Brighton. He left £66,128 3s 2d.
|• Barrowfield Estate (layout, houses and supervising architect)
• 211 and 213 Dyke Road
|TYRWHITT, Thomas (1874-1956)
Architect, educated at Lancing College and Oxford, After qualifying and starting his own practice in London, he spent five years abroad, in Hong Kong and South Africa, before returning to London. He won the competition to design the Indian Memorial Gate at the Royal Pavilion. He died in the Canary Islands.
|• Indian Memorial (South) Gate, Royal Pavilion (1921)|
Page updated 19 January 2017