Architects

 

The people who built Brighton and Hove: M

     
Names beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
  Search the site
M   local work
italic: demolished | *listed
MARCHANT, John
Architect at 51 North Street (1839).
  No work identified so far
MASON, —
Architect and surveyor at 8 Waterloo Place (1824).
  No work identified so far
MATCHAM, Frank (1854-1920)
Foremost theatre architect of the late Victorian and Edwardian period, credited with designing or remodelling up to 120 theatres.
  Grand Theatre, North Road (1894)
Hippodrome, Middle Street (remodelled 1901, 1902)
Alhambra Opera House and Music Hall, King's Road (1897; later Palladium Cinema)
MAY, Francis J C
Brighton borough engineer and surveyor.
  Bevendean Hospital, Bevendean Road
White Street
Brighton Corporation tramway network
MAYNARD, Edward (1827-)
Architect and surveyor at 17 Montpelier Road (1851), 1½ Ship Street (1854). Son of George Maynard.
  No work identified so far
MAYNARD, George (1804-1893)
Builder, parish surveyor/assessor. Born in Eastbourne; lived at 52B Preston Street (1839-1851), widowed, lodging at 12 London Road (1861). Living at 33 London Road with second wife and three-year-old son (1871), at 14 Waterloo Place (1881); retired to Burgess Hill, becoming one of the founder arbitrators of the Burgess Hill and Hurstpierpoint Building Society (late the Mid-Sussex Permanent Building Society), founded in 1881; described as 'gentleman' in Probate Calendar, left over £5,000.
  Brighton Workhouse (Arundel Building, Brighton General Hospital), Elm Grove (1865-67)
Warren Farm Industrial Schools, Warren Road (1859)
MEASURES, Harry Bell (1862-1940)
Articled to Arthur Loader 1877-1879 and his assistant 1877-82. Ashbury Silver Medal for Architectural Design at Brighton School of Science and Art 1879, Honours Medallist in Building Construction 1880. Own practice in Kensington, London from 1883. In-house architect for William Willett 1884-1892, notably on the West Brighton estate. Designed a number of London Underground Central Line stations around 1900 (plaque at Lancaster Gate tube station). Later became War Office's Director of Barrack Construction.
  69, 71, 73, 75, 79 The Drive
MEW, Henry
Architect.
  All Souls Church, Eastern Road (1834, demolished 1968)
MICKLETHWAITE, John Thomas (1843-1906)
Pupil of G G Scott. In practice from 1869. In partnership with George Somers Clarke 1876-1892.
  with Somers Clarke
Trinity Chapel, Ship Street (remodelled 1885-87)
St Patrick's Church, Cambridge Road (1888)
MIDDLETON, A L
Builder, originally from Rothbury, Northumberland. Formed partnership with Oscar Deutsch and F Stanley Bates to build a cinema in Franklin Road, Portslade. When the others withdrew from ownership after the opening, he continued alone and the cinema opened as the Rothbury.
  Rothbury Cinema, Franklin Road
Harry MilehamMILEHAM, Harry Robert FRSA (1873-1957)
Local artist. Born in Hackney, London. His paintings of the Stations of the Cross in St Mary's were moved there from the former Church of St Thomas the Apostle when the latter closed. Brighton Museums and Arts Galleries has some of his work, including a self-portrait. He died in Hove.
Image: In the Mirror, 1946 (Brighton & Hove Museums and Art Galleries)
  St Mary's, St James's Street [paintings]
42 Osmond Road [residence 1917-1929]
Burlingham, 35 Mallory Road [residence, 1929-1957]
MITCHELL, William George (1925- )
Sculptor, created the so-called 'Spirit of Brighton' sand-blasted concrete work that stood in the earlier cverion of Churchill Square, later demolished and said to have been used as hardcore in the reconstruction.
  Spirit of Brighton sculpture, Churchill Square
MOCATTA, David (1806-1882)
Architect, son of Moses Mocatta. Commemorated in Mocatta House, Trafalgar Place
  Synagogue, Devonshire Place (enlarged 1837; only facade remains)
Brighton Railway Station, Junction Road (1840)
MOORE, Richard St George (1858-1882)
Engineer, architect, trained at Laird Bros, Birkenhead. AS well as designing the Palace Pier, he designed piers at Skegness and St Leonards.
  Brighton Marine Palace and Pier, Madeira Drive
MORGAN, John
Architect and surveyor at 5 Old Steine (1878).
  No work identified so far
MORRIS, William (1834-1896)
 
Morris & Co
Design and manufactirng company founded by William Morris, Ford Madox Brown and others.
 
     
Previous | Next

 

Page updated 20 July 2016