Architects

 

The people who built Brighton and Hove: B

     
Names beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

  Search the site
B   local work
italic: demolished | *listed
BAINES, George
Architect.
  Florence Road Baptist Church (1894)
Gloucester Place Baptist Church (1904)
BALL, J L
Southsea architect. President, Birmingham Architectural Association, 1906.
  44 Wilbury Road
BANISTER, Frederick Dale (1823-1897)
Civil engineer and architect. Born in London but grew up in Preston, Lancashire. Moved to Brighton for health reasons in 1846 and was employed by the London Brighton and South Coast Railway. He lived and/or had offices at 28 Queen's Road (1851), 42 Medina Villas (1854), 10 Ship Street (1855-58). Designed much of northern Cliftonville, including model workers' dwellings, and lived latterly at Ivy Lodge, Hove (1858-c1864). He was chief engineer of the LB&SCR (1860-1896), for which he completed the Brighton main line and designed and project-managed the construction of Newhaven harbour (1864-70). He left Hove for London in the mid 1860s and was living in Forest Row at the time of his death, only a year after retiring.
  42-43 Medina Villas* (c1852)
Hove Railway Station* (1863, 1879)
BARNARD, William
Stained and leaded glass craftsman, partner in Cox & Barnard.
  See Cox and Barnard.
BARRY, Sir Charles (1795-1860)
Architect, largely self-educated. Travelled across Europe 1817-1820, returnign to establish a successful career. His early work on churches petered out because of his lack of sympathy with the radical liturgical changes brought on by the Oxford Movement. This was more than compensated by the commission to design the new Palace of Westminster, on which he worked with A W N Pugin.
  St Peter's Church, St Peter's Place* (1824-28)
Queen's Park (1825)
Holy Trinity, Ship Street (1826, attrib)
St Andrew's Church, Waterloo Street* (1827-28)
BARRY, Charles Jr (1823-1900)
Eldest son of Sir Charles Barry, in whose practice he trained and worked, notably on the Palace of Westminster and, in his own right, Dulwich College. He weas president of the RIBA.
  St Andrew's Church, Waterloo Street* (renovations, 1882)
BARRY, Edward Middleton (1830-1889)
Architect. Third son of Sir Charles Barry, whose practice he joined after training with Thomas Henry Wyatt.
  St Andrew's Church, Waterloo Street
Queen's Park Gate, West Drive
BASEVI, George (1794-1845)
Architect, grew up in Hove, son of a Brunswick Town Commissioner whose nephew was Benjamin Disraeli. Pupil of Sir John Soane. Lived in Brunswick Square.
  St Andrew's Church, Church Road* (reconstruction from ruin, 1833-36)
St Mary's Hall, Eastern Road* (1836)
BEEDHAM, William
Architect at 107 North Street (1839-43).
  No work identified so far
BELL, Alfred (1832-1895)
Stained glass designer, partner in Clayton & Bell.
  No work identified so far
BELL, Michael Charles Farrer (1911-1993)
Designer, engraver, painter. Son of Alfred Bell, from whom he took over in Clayton and Bell in 1950.
  All Saints Church, The Drive (glass)
BELL, S
Designer.
  St Bartholomew's Church, Ann Street (cross, altar painting, 1874)
BENDELOW, Ernest
Architect.
  3 Eldred Avenue (1924-27)
BENHAM, Charles
Architect and surveyor, practice at 5 William Street (1839).
  No work identified so far
BENNETT, Benjamin
Architect.
  Synagogue, Devonshire Place (1823; only facade remains)
Bennetts Associates
Architectural firm.
  Jubilee Library, Jubilee Street (2004)
BEWSEY, John Charles Norman (1881-1940)
Glass designer, pupil of Charles Eamer Kempe.
  St Bartholomew's Church, Ann Street (glass)
BILLINGTON, Percy
Brighton borough architect, responsible for the design of most post-war schools.
  University of Brighton Faculty of Arts and Architecture, 53 Grand Parade (1967)
Law Courts, Edward Street (1967)
BIRCH, Eugenius
Engineer, designer and architect at 60 Balfour Road (1912).
  West Pier, King's Road*
Cliftonville Pier, Kingsway (never built)
BISHOP, Pamela Maude E (1931-1993)
Designer, including stained glass. Lived in Longhill Road, Ovingdean (1951-1975) and Bexhill Road, Woodingdean(1976-1993?).
  St Wulfran's Church, Ovingdean (reredos figures)
BLACK, Ernest (1855-1917)
Architect, son of the Brighton borough coroner. Founding partner of Clayton & Black. Living at 28 Lancaster Road in 1901 and 4 Windlesham Road at the time of his death. Constance Garnett was one of his executors.
  See Clayton & Black
BLACK, Kenneth Eastty (1897-1978)
Son of Ernest Black. Partner in Clayton & Black
  See Clayton & Black
BLACKBURNE, Edward Lushington (1803-1888)
Designer, born in Portsea, Hampshire, practised in London.
  St Peter's Church, St Peter's Place* (former reredos)
BLACKING, William Henry Randoll (1889-1958)
Architect. Son of the manager of a church furnishings company. Based in Guildford 1925-1929, Salisbury 1932-1958.
  Church of the Good Shepherd, Dyke Road (fittings)
St Peter's Church, St Peter's Place* (reredos)
Church of St Thomas the Apostle, Davigdor Road (fittings)
St Andrew's Church, Waterloo Street (restoration, 1925)
BLOMFIELD, Arthur Conran (1863-1935)
Architect. Son and pupil of Sir A W Blomfield, joining him as a partner with his brother C J Blomfield in 1890.
  See Sir A W Blomfield & Sons
BLOMFIELD, Sir Arthur William (1829-1899)
Architect. Son of an eminent Bishop of London.
  St Luke's Church, Queen's Park Road* (1881-85)
RENOVATION
Chapel Royal, North Street (1876-1896)
St Stephen's Church, Montpelier Place* (restoration, 1889) • St George's Church, St George's Road (attrib, 1890)
≥ See also Sir A W Blomfield & Sons
BLOMFIELD, Charles James (1862-1932)
Architect. Son and pupil of Sir A W Blomfield, joining as a partner with his brother A C Blomfield in 1890.
  See Sir A W Blomfield & Sons
Blomfield, Sir A W, and Sons
Architectural partnership of Sir A W Blomfield and his sons A C Blomfield and C J Blomfield, the sons carrying on under this name following the death of their father in 1899.
  8 North Street (former Barclays Bank, 1898)
Church of St John the Evangelist, Preston Road (1900-1902)
BLOUNT, Gilbert Robert
  St John the Baptist Church, Bristol Road* (extended 1887, 1890)
Church of St Mary Magdalene, Upper North Street* (1862)
BODLEY, George Frederick (1827-1907)
In 1846 a sister married Samuel Scott, a Brighton doctor and brother of George Gilbert Scott, in whose practice Bodley worked for six years. Thereafter he worked to develop a more modern form of Gothic architecture, as seen in the earlier part of St Michael and All Angels. Influenced by Ruskin and the Pre-Raphaelites, he gave William Morris some of Morris & Co's earliest commissions but after falling out with Morris he co-founded Watts & Co, still a principal supplier of fabrics and clerical vestments. As a leading ecclesiastical architect, Bodley repudiated Gothic from 1862 onwards in favour of 14th-century English styles. FRIBA 1899.
  Church of St Mary the Virgin and St Mary Mary Magdalene, Bread Street (1862, demoloshed 1950)
St Michael and All Angels, Victoria Road (1858-1862)
St Barnabas' Church, Byron Street* (reredos, 1882)
St Paul's Church, West Street (restoration, 1865-1874; narthex and fishermen's institute, 1887)
BONE, Charles Belfield (1862-1942)
Architect, born in Stoke Damerell (Demerel), Devon, seventh son of a solicitor. Educated at Radley; Oxford graduate 1883. Moved to Woburn Square, London. Partnership with Frank Alleyn Coles and Henry Cornwallis Rogers as Rogers, Bone & Coles at 9 New Square, Lincoln's Inn until 1931, although Rogers and Coles has been replaced by Arthur Campbell Martin by then. Member of the Institute of Town Planning.
  St John's Church, Church Road* (alterations, 1906-07)
BOXALL, T
  Aquarium gateway, toll kiosks and clock tower, Madeira Drive (1874; the kiosks are now adjacent to the pierhead opposite)
Strict Baptist Chapel, Mighell Street (1878, demolished 1950)
Braybon, T J, & Son
Local buidling firm.
  Valley Close
Valley Drive
Westdene estate
BRINDLEY, William (1832-1919)
Partner in Farmer and Brindley. After Farmer's death he worked in marble, including work for Westminster Cathedral and G F Bodley's churches.
  As FARMER AND BRINDLEY
St Anne's Church, Burlington Street (carvings)
BROCK, Sir Thomas (1847-1922)
Designer, sculptor. Designed the Victoria Memorial in front of Buckingham Palace.
  Queen Victoria Memorial, Grand Avenue* (1901)
BRODER, William Kedo (1847-1881)
Architect.
  St Joseph Catholic Church, Elm Grove* (1879-80)
BROOKER, Henry
Architect
  No work identified so far
BROOKS, Thomes Alfred (1869-1959)
Architect and surveyor at 30 Norfolk Square (1908-59). Born in Hampstead, London.
 
BROWN, Ford Madox (1821-1893)
Painter, associated with the Pre-Raphaelite movement but not a member. One of the founders of Morris & Co
  St Michael and All Angels, Victoria Road* (glass)
BUCKMAN, Charles Henry (1862-1903)
Architect at 12 Prince Albert Street (1899). Lived at 106 Springfield Road (1891-97). Committed to Holloway Sanatorium (for the insane) near Virginia Water, Surrey ('urgency') 30 June 1897. Died in Camberwell.
  No work identified so far
BUCKWELL, Thomas Herbert (1860-1927)
Architect and surveyor. Son of a ship owner and brewer at 36 Egremont Place (1881-91). In practice as Johns & Buckwell; own practice at 33 New Road (1888-92), Union Chambers, 162a North Street (1895-1918), lived at 6 West Drive (1901), 16 West Drive (1911). Died in East Preston.
  St Andrew's Presbyterian Church, Park Hill (1894) [now Park Hill Evangelical CHurch]
Buckwell & Bullock
Architectural partnership formed c1908 by T H Buckwell and — Bullock at Royal Insurance Chambers, 162 North Street (1911-12).
  No work identified so far
BUDD, Kenneth George (1925-1995)
Designer, working in glass and mosaic. Trained at the Royal College of Art.
  Church of the Good Shepherd, Stanley Avenue (glass, 1967)
BUDGEN, Thomas
Surveyor at 1 Prospect Place (1824).
 
BULLOCK, —
  No work identified so far
BURGES, William (1827-1881)
An architect influenced by the ideas of A W N Pugin and styles in French architecture; he was associated with the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood, whose designs for church fittings and glass he used (see Edward Burne-Jones).
  St Michael and All Angels, Victoria Road (extension designed 1865, built 1893)
BURGIS, Norman Leslie Sewell (1912-1979)
Architect based in Ringmer.
  St Matthias' Church, Hollingbury Park Avenue (1966-67)
BURKE, William Henry (1835-1908)
Marble merchant and manufacturer based in London.
  Church of St Mary the Virgin and St Mary Magdalene, Bread Street (mosaic flooring)
BURLISON, John (1843-1891)
Glass designer, son of Sir George Gilbert Scott's chief assistant. Trained at Clayton & Bell. Partner in Burlison & Grylls.
  See Burlison & Grylls
Burlison & Grylls
Glass designers, partnership of John Burlison and T J Grylls.
  Church of St Mary the Virgin, St James's Street* (c1879?)
St Peter's Church, Holmes Avenue (1890)
Edward Burne-JonesBURNE-JONES, Sir Edward (1833-1898)
Pre-Raphaelite artist and designer. For local associations see Sir Edward Burne-Jones.
  St Michael and All Angels, Victoria Road* (glass: The Flight into Egypt)
Church of the Annunciation of Our Lady, Washington Street* (glass)
St Margaret's Church, The Green, Rottingdean* (glass)
BURNETT, W
  Collingwood tomb, Extramural Cemetery, Lewes Road
BURSTOW, George (1847-1910)
Builder; surveyor and land agent. Born George Buster in Portslade, son of a master bricklayer and employer; the family name appears to change around 1894, by which time George was widowed. By 1881, when he lived at the newly-built 15 Wakefield Road, he was described as 'master building contractor employing 23 men and two boys'. Lived at 17 Preston Road (1885), which he sold c1896 to architect William Parnacott, and at 30-32 Florence Road (1897-1901) with his sons George and William, who by then had joined him in the business, and Ralph. He retired to Berwick, where he died on Christmas Day. He left £8,000.
  • six houses in Lowther Road (1898)
Burstow, George, & Sons
Land agents and surveyors, builders and property developers at 16 Gloucester Place (1901-02). Probably the most prolific ever in the city's history, responsible for well over 2,600 houses in Brighton alone. The sons kept the business going following the death of their father and were beginning to be developers around 1905, which may be the point at which George retired. William was a named developer until 1932.
  Kingsley Road
BURSTOW, George Herbert (1879-1915)
Surveyor and land agent. Son and partner of George Burstow as George Burstow and Sons. He lived at 107 St Leonard's Road (1911), then moved to Bognor and was described as 'architect and surveyor' at the time of his early death there.
 
BURSTOW, William John (1880-1956)
Surveyor and land agent. Son and partner of George Burstow as George Burstow and Sons. By 1911 he was living in Worthing with a business as a road and sewer contractor but was back in Brighton as a builder after the First World War.
 
BUSBY, Charles Augustin (1786-1834)
Architect. Born into a family that moved in radical and artistic circles, 'one month before the wedding of his parents', as the Dictionary of National Biography notes. Attended the Royal Academy Schools and won the gold medal in 1807. The following year he published A series of Designs for Villas and Country Houses and A Collection of Designs for Modern Establishments After trying to build a business designing country houses, he spent 1817-19 in New York, returning to various jobs in England. His great opportunity came in 1822 when he was invited to Brighton by Thomas Read Kemp to form a partnership with Amon Henry Wilds as Wilds & Busby. The partnership ended acrimoniously in 1825, leaving Busby to continue alone as architect of Brunswick Town on land owned by Rev Thomas Scutt, for which project he became manager. He was a member of the Hove Vestry (forerunner of the town council) and the Brunswick Town Commissioners. Despite being arrested for debt in 1829, in 1831 he became the High Commissioner of Hove, still espousing radical principles. In February 1833 he was declared bankrupt with debts of more than £12,500. Friends paid off the debts but Busby died intestate in September 1834. He lived at 11 Waterloo Place and then at his final home, 1 Stanhope Place, where he died. He is buried at St Andrew's churchyard in Hove.
  St Margaret's Church, St Margaret's Place (1824)
4 Lansdowne Place* [residence, workplace]
Adelaide Crescent*, Brunswick Square* and much more of Brunswick Town

See also Wilds and Busby
BUTLER, Joseph (1804-1884)
Builder, architect and surveyor, based in Chichester from c1833.
  St Andrew's Church, Church Road* (contractor for reconstruction, 1833-35)
BUTTERFIELD, William (1814-1900)
Apprenticed as a builder but trained as an architect with E L Blackburne.
  St Patrick's Church, Cambridge Road (lectern, glass, c1858)
     
Previous | Next

 

Page updated 7 May 2016