Architects

 

The people who built Brighton and Hove: D

     
Names beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

  Search the site
D   local work
italic: demolished | *listed
DALE, James
Surveyor at 53 High Street (1824).
  No work identified so far
DANCY, Stephen (1799-1885)
Born in Slaugham, Sussex. Carpenter in Upper North Street (1841), Master builder employing 12 men (1851), 8 carpenters, 13 painters, 3 bricklayers, 6 labourers and 3 boys (1861), 15 men (1871) with premises at 28 Portland Street. Declared bankrupt in May 1849 Father of William Dancy, who joined him in the business as co-partners; jointly declared bankrupt 15 August 1870 with addresses at 23, 28 and 31 Portland Street, 41 Upper North Street and 5 Powis Square.
  No work identified so far
DANCY, William (1832-1872)
Builder and surveyor. Clerk to his father, Stephen Dancy, before going into business on his own account as a surveyor and builder by 1861.
  Church of the Annunciation of Our Lady, Washington Street (1864)
DAVEY, Norman T
Designer.
  St Paul's Church, West Street (altar, 1978)
DAVIE, W Galsworthy
Architect. Prolific author and photographer of Architctural Studies in France (1877), Old Cottages and Farmhouses in Kent and Sussex (1900), Old Cottages, Farm-houss and Other Stone Buildings in the Cotswold District (1905) and Old Cottages and Farmhouses in Surrey (1908), etc.
  4 Third Avenue (1878)
77-91 Doone Terrace, Lorna Road (1880)
DAVIEL, John Rene Francis (1913-1983)
Architect, partner in Clayton, Black and Daviel.
  St Richard's Church, Beal Crescent (1954)
Church of the Good Shpherd, Stanley Avenue (1967)
St Luke's Church, Queen's Park Road (restoration, attrib, 1967)
DELLIMORE, John
Architect at 3 Richmond Place (1878).
  No work identified so far
DENMAN, John Bluet (1914-2002)
Brighton architect, son of John Leopold Denman, partner with his father as Denman and Son. Father of Samuel Denman.
  • See Denman and Son
DENMAN, John Hubbard (1814-1887)
Brighton plasterer, foreman at Cheesman and Son.
  No work identified so far
John Leopold DenmanDENMAN, John Leopold (1882-1975)
Born in Brighton, son of Samuel Denman. Attended Brighton Grammar School and the Central School of Arts and Crafts in London. Articled to his father. Assistant in the Jones and Smithers practice in 1907. ARIBA 1909, when he joined Denman and Matthew and in his own practice from then at 27 Queen's Road. Partner with his son John Bluet Denman as Denman & Son and in Denman & Matthew. Most of his work was for commercial buildings, noted for a 'well-mannered and individual' neo-Georgian style, suited to the prevailing heritage architecture of Brighton, although he also carried out extensive restorations of churches, including post-war repairs to Canterbury Cathedral. Extensive work for Kemp Town Brewery. A relief by Joseph Cribb on the former Citizens' Permanent Building Society building at 20-22 Marlborough Place depicts Denman. He lived at 8 Clifton Terrace (1911). He was president of the Regency Society of Brighton and Hove and vice-president of the Sussex Archaeological Society. He died at Hurstpierpoint.
  18-25 Clifton Road (c.1905)
Allied Irish Banks, 20-22 Marlborough Place
Maytree Pub, Old Shoreham Road, Aldrington (1928, demolished 2000)
Baldwin Mausoleum, Extramural Cemetery, Lewes Road
Downs Crematorium, Bear Road
2-3 Pavilion Buildings (former Brighton & Hove Herald)
The Pylons, London Road, Patcham
Hounsom Memorial United Reformed Church, Nevill Avenue
Barclays Bank, North Street
Sussex Masonic Centre, Queen's Road (1919-28)
178-180 Western Road (Johnson Brothers furniture store)
Downs Crematorium, Bear Road
Richmond Hotel, 33 Richmond Place (1931, now Pressure Point)
Regent House, Prince's Place
St Cuthman's Church, Whitehawk Way (rebuilt after war damage)
Sussex Eye Hospital, Eastern Road (1935)

RESTORATIONS/ADDITIONS:
St Leonard's Church, New Church Road, Aldrington (1954; again 1970 with John K Wearing)
St Margaret's Church, The Green, Rottingdean
St Mary Magdalene's Church, Coldean Lane (1955)
St Nicholas' Church, Church Street (1909)
St Paul's Church, West Street
St Peter's Church, Holmes Avenue (rebuild, 1966)
Freemasons, 39 Western Road (redesign)
DENMAN, Samuel (1855-1945)
Architect and surveyor at 39 Clifton Street (1878), 27 Queen's Road (1899). Son of J H Denman. Diocesan Surveyor for the Archdeaconry of Lewes by 1877. Partner with Samuel Matthew from 1902 to 1920, joined by his son John Leopold Denman from 1909. Away from Brighton designed Lewes Town Hall. Retired 1930, when J L Denman took over the business.
  St Paul's Church, West Street (alterations)
Hove Club, Fourth Avenue
Denman & Matthew (Brighton)
Partnership of Samuel Denman and Samuel Matthew from 1902 to 1920, joined by John Leopold Denman in 1909. At 27 Queen's Road (1911-12).
  Congregational Church, Sudeley Place (conversion to King's Cliff Cinema, 1920)
Denman & Son
Partnership of John Leopold Denman and John Bluet Denman.
  RESTORATIONS/ADDITIONS:
St Agnes' Church, Newtown Road (1963-65)
St Bartholomew's Church, Ann Street (1965)
St George's Church, St George's Road, Kemptown (1967)
St John the Evangelist's Church, Knoyle Road (1965)
DIX, Arthur Joseph (1860-1917)
Stained glass designer and maker, with premises mainly in Berners Street, London.
  St Peter's Church, St Peter's Place* (glass)
DIXON, Bertram Harold
Brighton architect, son of a local solicitor, grew up at Warleigh Lodge, Ditchling Road and lived there, unmarried, with his parents until he was well into his forties. In practice with A E Andrews as Andrews and Dixon at 35 East Street, which remained his address after the partnership ended (before 1911).
  Convent of the Blessed Sacrament, Walpole Road (1913) [now Brighton College Junior School chapel]
DOLL, Otto S
Architect and surveyor at 157 North Street (1912-15).
  No work identified so far
DONNE, Joseph
Architect at 15 York Place (1839).
  No work identified so far
DOUGLAS THOMPSON, Marguerite (1910-1994)
Stained glass designer, who lived in later life in Lewes.
  Holy Trinity, Blatchington Road (glass)
Dovey & Howell
Architects at 114 Queen's Road (1890).
  No work identified so far
DRUMMOND-ROBERTS, Maud Frances (1876-1966)
Wood carver. Born in Brighton, daughter of the Chief Constable of Sussex, George R B Drummond. Wrote about fonts in Sussex churches.
  Church of St Mary, St James's Street (screen)
FLat 1, 13 The Drive [residence 1926-1966]
DURRANT, Clifford Glen (b 1953)
Glass-maker, based on Horsham.
  Holy Cross Church, Warren Road (glass)
     
Previous | Next

 

Page updated 19 July 2016