Architects

 

The people who built Brighton and Hove: H

     
Names beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
Search the site
H   local associations
italic: demolished | *listed
HABERSHON, William (Gilbee) FRIBA
c1818-1891
HABERSHON, (Matthew) Edward FRIBA
1826-1900
Brothers William (FRIBA 1852) and Edward (FRIBA 1860) inherited their father's architectural practice in 1852. The partnership was dissolved in 1863 and Edward went into business with Henry Spalding. Retired 1879.
Habershon, W & E Architectural partnership of William and Edward Habershon. WORK
Brighton Business Centre, 95 Ditchling Road
St John the Baptist, Church Road (1852)
HALLETT, William
Architect.
See also Hallett family under People.
WORK
St John the Baptist Church, Bristol Road

PERSONAL
142 Marine Parade [residence, practice 1843]
HAMILTON, Edwin James
1852-1946
Born in Islington but living in Brighton by 1861; son of the minister at London Road Chapel, Ann Street. Articled to Thomas Simpson; own practice from 1878 . Admitted to Society of Architects 1887. Retired 1919. At 13 Wellington Road (1912->33). WORK
Salvation Army Citadel, 1-6 Park Crescent Terrace
Stanford Road Methodist Church (1898)
Montefiore Methodist Church, Montefiore Road (1904) [now Guardianship Society]

PERSONAL
10 Prince Albert Street [practice 1878]
70 Ship Street [practice 1890)
2 New Road [practice 1899-12]
HANSOM, Joseph Stanislaus FRIBA
1845-1931
J S HansomPupil and from 1869 partner of his father, architect Joseph Aloysius Hansom, inventor of the Hansom cab. He took over the practice in 1880 and the following year inherited the practice of John Crawley. WORK
Church of the Sacred Heart, Norton Road
St Joseph Catholic Church, Elm Grove
HARE, Cecil Greenwood
1875-1932
Designer; assistant to and then general manager for G F Bodley, taking over the latter's practice on Bodley's death in 1907 and continuing as Bodley & Hare. WORK
St Michael and All Angels, Victoria Road (altarpiece)
HARDMAN, John [& Company]
1811-1867
Ecclesiastical design and stained glass. WORK
Holy Trinity Church, Blatchington Road
St Andrew's Church, Church Road (glass)
St Andrew's Church, Waterloo Street (glass)
HARFORD, Alfred
1847-
Bristol architect. WORK
Lewes Road Congregational Church (1878-79)
HAWKER, J W
Architect at Central Chambers, North Street Quadrant (1912) WORK
No work found so far
Hawker & Clover Architectural practice at 9 North Street (1912) WORK
No work found so far
HEATON, Clement
1824-1882
Designer. Some work in partnership with Robert Turill Bayne. WORK
Chapel Royal, North Street (decoration)
Church of the Annunciation of Our Lady, Washington Street (glass)
St Matthias' Church, Ditchling Road (glass)
HEDGELAND, George Caleb
1826-1898
Designer. Son of an architect who restored medieval glass. Emigrated to Australia in 1860. WORK
St John the Baptist, Church Road (glass)
HEMMING, Alfred Octavius
1842-1907
Designer. WORK
Church of St Mary the Virgin, St James's Street
HEMMINGS, S
Architect. WORK
Emmanuel Church, Norfolk Terrace (1867-68, demolished 1965)
HEMS, HARRY
1842-1916
Harry HemsArchitect, designer, sculptor, woodworker. WORK
Church of St John the Evangelist, Preston Road (reredos)
HENNELL, Sidney Thorn FRIBA
1881-1959
Architect. WORK
Holy Cross Church, Warren Road, Woodingdean (1941)
HERRICK, Frederick Charles
1887-1970
Painter, graphic artist. trained at Royal College of Art, later taught painting at Brighton College of Art. Designed the lion logo for the 1924 Empire Exhibition and many London Underground posters. WORK
St Andrew's Church, Colbourne Avenue, Moulsecoomb (painting)
HETT, Leonard Keir
1886-1978
Architect, born in Ewell, Surrey. Member of the RIBA in 1910 and in practice from 1911, when he was admitted an ARIBA. He was a lieutenant in the Royal Engineers from 1915 to 1922 and then at the Searle & Searle practice in London by the mid 1920s, a partner in the 1930s-1940s. He designed at least six Sussex churches—the first being at Moulsecoomb—and was much involved with the Chailey Heritage site. He lived and died at Ardingly. His working papers are in the West Sussex Record Office. WORK
St Andrew's Church, Colbourne Avenue, Moulsecoomb(1932)
Church of the Ascension, Bramber Avenue, Peacehaven (1955)
Church of Christ the King, Braybon Avenue (1959)
HEWITT, Charles Edward
1870-c1940
C E HewittArchitect and surveyor. Born in Tonbridge, son of the vicar of St Luke's Prestonville. His work elsewhwere included rebuilding Holy Trinity Church, Derby. By 1908 he was ordained. Later owned an antique shop. WORK
Providence Chapel, West Hill Road (1894-96) [later Nathaniel Reformed Episcopal Church]

PERSONAL
118 Queen's Road [practice 1899]
Church House, 2 Lancaster Road [family residence 1891]
17 Clifton Hill [residence 1901]
HILL, John
c1847->1911
Brighton architect. WORK
St Luke's Prestonville Church, Old Shoreham Road
HITCH, Nathaniel
1845-1938
Sculptor, woodworker, with workshop in Battersea. WORK
All Saints Church, The Drive (fittings)
HITCHENS, H & F Land surveyors at 15 Devonshire Place (1843). WORK
No work found so far
HITCHENS, John
Architect. WORK
No work found so far

PERSONAL
27 Devonshire Place [practice 1839]
HOLFORD, George
1851-1879
Architect, born in Brighton, son of a wine merchant. Articled pupil of Thomas Simpson. PERSONAL
24 Clifton Road [family home, 1871]
See Holford & Clayton
Holford & Clayton Architects firm formed in 1876 by George Holford and Charles E Clayton. Holford died in 1879 but the firm's name was retained until Ernest Black joined (see next entry). The listing of work is believed to be complete. WORK
196 Dyke Road (lodge, stables 1876)
TA Centre, Dyke Road (1876)
• 2 houses in Middle Street (1876)
warehouse, Spring Gardens (1876)
warehouse, Whitecross Street (1877)
55, 57, 59 Ellen Street (1877)
1-4, 6 Victoria Street (1877)
shop, 81 Queen's Road (1877)
warehouse and offices, 95 Queen's Road (1878-1879)
72, 74, 76; 99 Conway Street (1878)
12a Marlborough Place (1878)
soldiers' home (later Connaught Institute), 131 Lewes Road (1879; classroom 1886)
Trinity Church, Ship Street (school room, 1880)
High Croft, Dyke Road (1880)
22, 24, 26 Crescent Road (1880)
High Croft, 37a Highcroft Villas (1880)
1-12, 19, 20 Highcroft Villas (1881)
6-13 Southampton Street (1881)
• two villas, Highcroft Villas, Dyke Road Drive (1881)
36 Highcroft Villas (1882)
Holford, Clayton & Black Ernest Black joined the architects firm in 1882 and the firm's name changed briefly, before becoming Clayton & Black the same year. WORK
No work traced under this name.
HOLLAND, E J
Architect. WORK
No work found so far

PERSONAL
Iver Lodge, Portland Road [residence 1912]
HOLLAND, Henry
1745-1806
Architect, specialist in country houses. WORK
Marine Pavilion, Old Steine (1788-1801) [forerunner of the Royal Pavilion]
HOLLAND, J
Architect. WORK
No work found so far

PERSONAL
151 North Street [practice 1912]
HOLLANDS, C Valentine
Architect. WORK
No work found so far

PERSONAL
3 North Street Quadrant [practice 1899]
Holloway & Cox Builders at Preston and Brighton and brickmakers at Plumpton and elsewhere. The partnership was dissolved 1873.
HOLMAN, Luther Martin
Architect. WORK
No work found so far

PERSONAL
333 Ditchling Road [practice 1915]
HOWARD, Frank Ernest
1888-1934
Architect and ecclesiastical designer. WORK
Church of the Good Shepherd, Dyke Road (rood figures)
HOWSE, Melanie (Mel)
Stained glass designer with a studio at Chichester. WORK
St Paul's Church, West Street (doors)
HUBBARD, —
Local builder. WORK
Patcham Mill, Windmill Drive
HUDSON, Edward William
1844-
Architect and surveyor, born in Westminster, London. Practiced only briefly in Brighton. WORK
No work found so far

PERSONAL
at 17 Prince Albert Street [practice 1877-1880]Redcliffe, 6 Wilbury Road [residence 1877/78]
HUMPHREY, A G
Architect. WORK
St Agnes' Church, Newtown Road
HUNT, Simeon
1861-1935
Architect and surveyor. Born in Brighton, son of a commission agent turned corn and coal merchant. Died at Cuckfield, Sussex. WORK
No work found so far

PERSONAL
5 Pelham Square [residence]
15 Western Road, Hove [residence]
5 Alexandra Villas [residence]
129 Queen's Road [practice 1899-1915]
1 Havelock Road [residence 1891]
15 Walpole Terrace [residence 1901]
HYDE, Frederick William
1848-
Surveyor and architect. Son of a surveyor and mason, brother of R S Hyde. Practiced also in Worthing (1878). WORK
No work found so far

PERSONAL
37 North Street [practice 1878]
26 Belfast Street, Hove [lodgings 1881]
HYDE, Robert Singer
1846-1913
Architect. Pupil and later partner of E E Scott. Son of a surveyor and mason, brother of F W Hyde; born and lived all his life at Broadwater, New Shoreham (Worthing), Sussex; direct at Kingston. His son Raymond was also an architect. See E E Scott
     

A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z

 

Page updated 13 April 2022