Brighton and Hove people: K

Names beginning with
A  B  C  D  E   F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z
Search the site
K   associated with [*plaque]
KAYE, Violette (née Watts, also Saunders)
Violette KayeDancer and prostitute who was murdered in her basement flat in the second of the Brighton trunk murders of 1933. 44 Park Crescent
47 Kemp Street
KEEN, Jeffrey John Spencer (Jeff)
Jeff KeenProlific experimental film-maker, born in Trowbridge, Wiltshire, who made his home in Brighton in the 1950s, where he worked as a landscape gardener for the parks department and later as a postman. He won a scholarship to Oxford but was drafted for military service in 1942 and studied commercial art after the war. He started working with 8mm film in 1960 and favoured the narrow gauge even after moving into 16mm in 1968. He was a founder of the London Filmmakers' Co-operative in 1966. He made around 70 films—characterised by fast cutting, superimpositions, references to popular culture and war—as well as paintings, sculptures, drawings, collages, assemblages and poems. Wider recognition came late in his life with an installation at Tate Modern in London, exhibitions in New York and Paris, and release of a DVD collection of his work by the BFI.
KEMP, Thomas MP
KEMP, Nathaniel
KEMP, Thomas Read
Thomas Kemp was a wealthy Sussex merchant and landowner and owner of a moiety (half share) of the manor of Brighton, inherited from his uncle, Thomas Friend, and included the site rented by the Prince of Wales for his Royal Pavilion. He was MP for Lewes from 1785 util his death. Father of Thomas Read Kemp.
Nathaniel Kemp was the younger brother of Thomas Kemp. He bought 350 acres of land at Ovingdean in 1788 and built Ovingdean Hall. One of his seven children was Charles Eamer Kempe.
Thomas Read KempThomas Read Kemp [right], the son of Thomas Kemp, developed the Kemp Town estate in the east of Brighton. He married Frances, daughter of financier Sir Francis Baring, in 1806. MP for Lewes 1811-1816 but resigned to found a dissenting sect at St James's Chapel in St James's STreet, which moved to Trinity Chapel in Ship Street. He abandoned the sect and returned to parliament as MP for Arundel 1823-1826 and Lewes again 1826-1837, but then fled to France to evade his creditors. He died in Paris and is buried in Père Lachaise Cemetery.
Ovingdean Hall, Greenways22 Sussex Square
The Thomas Kemp, 8 St George's Road [PH, formerly Burlington Arms]
KENDALL, Rev George William
Anglican clergyman, born in Kenilworth, Warwickshire, the son of a clergyman. Vicar of St John's CHurch, Bowling, Bradford, Yorkshire, who came into a parcel of land in Aldrington in 1893. Kendal Road
KENEALY, Edward Vaughan Hyde
Irish barrister, most notably counsel for the Tichbourne Claimant in 1873, his scandalous conduct of the case earning the censure of the jury. When he was elected MP for Stoke-on-Trent in 1875, no member was prepared to introduce him, as was the convention, to which prime minister Disraeli forced an end. He lived in Portslade from 1852 to 1874 and he is buried in Hangleton. 8-9 Wellington Road, Copperas Gap [residence 1852-1874]
St Helen's Church, Hangleton
KERRISON, General Sir Edward bt KCB GCH
Army officer and politician. Joined the army as a cornet in the Dragons in 1796 and rose through the ranks to becomemajor by 1802 and colonel in 1813. He was badly wounded at the battle of Artes and slightly at Waterloo when he had a horse shot out from under him. He was MP for Shaftesbury (1813-1818), Northampton (1818-1820 and Eye (1824-1852) and an extensive landowner and long-time Brighton resident. He was created a baronet in 1821.
Image: Portrait by Robert Mendham [Eye Town Council]
27 Brunswick Terrace [residence 1850]
Kerrison Arms, 101 Edward Street [PH 1856-1867]
Kerrison Arms, 3 Waterloo Street [PH 1832] was The Iron Duke, now Southern Belle
KING-HALL, Admiral Sir George Fowler KCB CVO
Sailor. 7 Albany Villas
See Syd Walker
KOE, Lawrence E P
Portrait painter and sculptor, son of a civil engineer, The family moved to Brighton by 1878. He first exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1891. He moved with his family to London by 1894 but returned with his widowed mother to Brighton by 1911. His paintings 'Venus and Tannhäuser' and 'Idyll' are in the collection of Brighton and Hove Museums and Art Galleries. 8 St Michael's Place [residence 1878-1894, 1911-1913]
KROPOTKIN, Prince Pyotr
KropotkinRussian emigré geographer and anarchist philosopher moved to Brighton from Bromley for the good of his health in November 1910 and lived here until returning to Russia at the time of the revolution in spring 1917. 9 Chesham Street
Previous | Next


Page updated 6 March 2022